Was Fallout 76 saveable or was it doomed in concept?

Octavian

It Wandered In From the Wastes
In a world where Bethesda are actually competent developers could it be pulled off well? Or is an RPG with multiplayer doomed to be stripped of all mechanics and fail? How would you go about it in a satisfying way thats still true to the original concept?

Mostly asking because wasteland 3 is implementing multiplayer as well and 76 has me worried.

I don't see why not. There are good MMORPGs. The toughest part would be maintaining atmosphere with players congregating around NPCs all the time. Not sure it'd really matter though. Lots of stuff looks proper silly in MMOs, owing to their nature. Populations never look right anyway.

I don't play MMORPGs and I don't play FO76, but from what I've seen and heard of it, Bethesda shot themselves in the foot by making it an MMO and not having any human NPCs. How are you going to have a Fallout game and not have any wastelanders to interact with once you're out of Vault 76? Without any people in the wasteland to give you quests, fight, etc., it just feels like you're in a fake park shooting at CGI critters.

Wasteland 3 multiplayer is very different from Fallout 76 multiplayer.

Wasteland multiplayer is limited to 2 players. But they are not random players, you can play with a friend. Basically, no one will join your game unless you want them to.

And the world will react to those players actions. The players can play co-op and do missions together, or they can act on their own and do stuff separated. But its a reactive world, so it's very different from Fallout 76.

Also you can turn your multiplayer save into single-player if you want to.

Here is a nice article from 2 months ago:
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/wasteland-3-everything-we-know/

I actually think open world survival multiplayer game is a good idea for Fallout, spin off wise. I think people need to keep in mind that gameplay wise Spin-Offs can be whatever with no real harm.

In concept, players coming from a Vault and exploring West Virginia, building their own Wasteland camps and hunting to survive is a great idea but they just fucked every single layer of execution.

Pretty much any game idea, if implemented correctly by the right developer, can make for a great game.

Wasteland 3 multiplayer is very different from Fallout 76 multiplayer.

Wasteland multiplayer is limited to 2 players. But they are not random players, you can play with a friend. Basically, no one will join your game unless you want them to.

And the world will react to those players actions. The players can play co-op and do missions together, or they can act on their own and do stuff separated. But its a reactive world, so it's very different from Fallout 76.

Also you can turn your multiplayer save into single-player if you want to.

Here is a nice article from 2 months ago:
https://www.pcgamer.com/au/wasteland-3-everything-we-know/
So I read at the end of the article preorder is $30 but retail is $50. Should i just preorder this shit? Usually I don't preorder products but its literally 20 bucks off.

In a world where Bethesda are actually competent developers could it be pulled off well? Or is an RPG with multiplayer doomed to be stripped of all mechanics and fail? How would you go about it in a satisfying way thats still true to the original concept?

Mostly asking because wasteland 3 is implementing multiplayer as well and 76 has me worried.

Fallout 76 failed for a lot of reasons, but the most important one IMO is that Bethesda never clarified what Fallout 76 was supposed to be in the first place. Second biggest mistake was to expect they could do the same shit they do in their single player games (such as implement stupid ideas like "players being the NPCs", rely on modders to fix their games and try to be hands-off about regulating/moderating/maintaning their games, just to name a few) and expect it to work on a multiplayer game.

In regards to whether single player RPG elements can coexist with multiplayer elements in the same game, evidence so far seems to indicate the answer is no, or at least not in the long run. Games such as WOW or SWTOR may have attempted it, but eventually opted to give priority to multiplayer aspects (such as PvP balancing, loot and the "endgame" content) at the cost of more single player aspects (narrative, character building or roleplaying).

Lastly, if Wasteland 3 will suffer as a single player RPG due to the introduction of multiplayer features, that really depends on how InExile decides to go about it. From what I know of the project, the multiplayer seemed more like an optional extra rather than an essential part of the game's design (or at least that how I understand it). IMO, I dont care if the multiplayer is shit so long as it doesnt affect the rest of the game. Hell, they might even drop the idea of multiplayer if it proves more bother than its worth, just like some other crowdfunded games dropped PS Vita and WiiU versions of their games when those consoles became irrelevant.

Pretty much any game idea, if implemented correctly by the right developer, can make for a great game.
Pretty much this. A lot of things I say I hate in games, I find joy in other games because it was done better.

As Rise said though, don't worry about Wasteland 3, it's not going to be like 76 at all. I don't see how it could be.

76's planned content looks interesting, at the very least.

Edit: The survival mode and Purveyor seem to be pretty interesting as well.

Back