Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #17: Vision Document

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
With the 17th update inXile has released the Vision Doc, the ten-page document can be found here or downloaded from NMA. From the doc:<blockquote>RPG: RPGs haven’t kept pace with time - they've regressed and even worse, taken pride in less role-playing than before. Important elements have been lost over time, sacrificed to technology, art constraints, voice-over expenses, and multi-platform console constraints. Wasteland 2 has no such limitations, it brings these RPG elements back, takes them out of the attic, and makes them part of gameplay again.

True RPGs allow options, allow you to make fundamental choices in customization and character creation, and most importantly, allow you to role-play and make your impact in a living world and see the consequences around you.

And by consequence, we don't mean token one-node lip service, we mean reactions, even a chain of reactions that builds over the course of the game. Even simple RPG elements such as the ability to write

your own character’s bio (frequently lost in the console generation), importing your own portraits of your characters that you like better than what a developer gives you, to larger, more important goals such as tactical combat and extended options to approach battles and fights.

In Wasteland 2, these RPG mechanics are there to be discovered all over again:

Customization: The ability to customize, alter, and improve your characters is as important as changing the world. Like the original Wasteland, your choice of what statistics and skills you invest in gives your characters personality, gives you multiple quest solutions, and gives you the ability to role-play beyond simply Thief, Fighter, or Mage archetypes. A low Charisma, low Agility, and high Strength character who specializes in medical skills and brawling can flesh out your characters with a sense of personality that other RPGs don’t allow for… perhaps that of an injured pit fighter who learned to tend the wounds of others in arena brawls in Needles and Vegas. Or a down-on-their-luck boxing coach who signed up with the Rangers as an instructor then graduated to going on missions to watch his new students in action. An ex-soldier who has forsaken the use of firearms after she was shot in the leg.

The amount of customization you can assign to your skills and stats help paint a detailed, vibrant personality for your characters… and give you added options when exploring the wasteland. That same injured pit fighter who knows how to talk about hand to hand combat with brawlers may gain information others cannot… or be able to earn money or earn respect through fighting in the arena itself and with enough medical knowledge to keep them going in-between matches. An assassin that specializes in lockpicking may unlock the back entrance to a hideout of Leather Thugs, take out their leader while he’s sleeping, and then leave quietly before the other dozen gang members know he’s there. A laser-toting doctor may be able to gain access to a community with his medical know-how, and when they get within range of a target, use their laser weapon skills to surgically take out a town’s gun turrets and pave the way for other Rangers to storm the place.

Assigning points over the course of the game into your chosen skills and stats can allow you to decide how each character grows as an individual. Your wounded pit fighter might gain new strength in his arms and have his cartilage repaired at Ranger Center, gaining more Agility. Your boxing coach may develop into the most skilled doctor the Rangers have ever known, and your ex-soldier may discover that some recently discovered horrors requires she take up the Rifle again and become a sniper to help her comrades… and herself… survive.</blockquote>They're asking for feedback here, though I'm sure they'll see feedback posted here, as well.

"Needles and Vegas"!?

Guess the setting is the same, then. Really looking forward to someplace new, like Florida!
:smug:

For NCR said:
"Needles and Vegas"!?

Guess the setting is the same, then. Really looking forward to someplace new, like Florida!

It starts in the same location but moves into California, the vision document mentions downtown L.A.

Was said already. The game begins in the same area, but then moves over to the west / deeper california. LA comes up too, so I'll guess we will be able to visit the city of angels.

/Edit: A tad too slow.

For NCR said:
"Needles and Vegas"!?

Florida... you mean like Fountain of Dreams? NO! WE STAY AWAY FROM FLORIDA!

Surf Solar said:
For anyone that can't access that link for some reason (like me) - Havoc at the rpgcodex provided this link to the document:

http://uploadmirrors.com/download/0PGFKT0X/WL2_VisionDoc_Final.pdf

It is a nice document, it is short and says everything that is needed to say. Now I am anxious to see if they actually deliver what they promise.

You should submit some of your work for Wasteland 2. :D

Very nice document. I was wanting a little more I guess, but it is to be expected. I like the focus on a large party of people, kinda like in Tactics, except without the "suck" I hope.

Reading about how they're focusing on including all sorts of roleplaying aspects, I hope there's some way for me to "go native" Col. Kurtz style with a group of tribals or something.

All in all, nothing I wasn't expecting, but still very pleased to see this is the way they're setting out to make the game :)

Very nice vision doc, exactly what was expected but nothing new.
Now that the game is funded 'im not for bothering them to provide us plenty of info and "waste" time in communication docs and progress report.
Better to let them develop with their ideas peacefully and release info when they want input/feedback.

Sobboth said:
Very nice vision doc, exactly what was expected but nothing new.
Now that the game is funded 'im not for bothering them to provide us plenty of info and "waste" time in communication docs and progress report.
Better to let them develop with their ideas peacefully and release info when they want input/feedback.

Vision documents aren't wasting time as that is something that Brian Fargo always does before making a game. Perhaps not as fancy looking as this one, but it's sort of just how he works.

Back