Wasteland 2 Update: Attributes and Skills Breakdown

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    The 20th update of Wasteland 2 details the character system, penned by producer Chris Keenan.<blockquote>First, here is the list of attributes you can expect to find in Wasteland 2. Attributes are the starting values for your character traits. These are established when you create your character and can be different for each member of your party. Attributes are all passive, meaning that they won't be actively used in the world to solve issues.

• Strength
    • Perception
    • Luck
    • Intelligence
    • Charisma
    • Expertise
    • Speed

You might immediately spot a few differences between this list and the original Wasteland. Perception has been turned into an attribute. We felt that perception tied into many other skills and played such an important role that it earned its position as an attribute. Also, there is this weird skill called Expertise on the list. Where the hell did that come from? Expertise is essentially agility and dexterity combined together into one package. We have defined it as the level of mastery of motions with your body and hands.</blockquote><center></center>

2. Geech

Geech It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 2, 2008
    Expertise is a terrible name for that. Why not something like "coordination"? For that matter, why not dexterity?

3. Sam Ecorners

Sam Ecorners Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Jan 23, 2007
    SPECISL?

4. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    It reads SPLICES, bro. Intentional or not!

5. woo1108

woo1108 Vault Senior Citizen

Sep 27, 2012
    SPECIAL? :lol:

6. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    You want stats to be intuitive? You casual.

(I agree. Don't know why they expect me to mentally tie "expertise" to "hand-eye coordination and agility".)

The white mouse thingie that hangs from the guy's hockey stick looks like Hello Kitty. Game ruined! D:

7. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    Are you shitting me? The skills, the skills... Boy, can't I wait to see how they turn out.

I'm a little worried about Examine - a skill - and Perception - an attribute. By the sound of it, they have very similar functions...

8. Daemon Spawn

Daemon Spawn Old Warrior of the Wastes

May 15, 2003
    lol @ Toaster Repair

NICE

9. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    Well hello thar. :smug:

10. Autoduel76

Autoduel76 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 14, 2007
    Actually, it's pretty clear that they don't.

The post made it clear that you can't use Attribute, like you could in Wasteland. So examine would be a useable skill that is derived largely from Perception.

11. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    Is that guy with the hello kitty on the Hockey stick Inhaling gasoline through thaat tube in his mask?

12. Sobboth

Sobboth It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 29, 2010
    It's quite hard to guess the meaning of some skills :
    - Toaster repair : general repair skill ?
    - Examine ?
    - Brute Force : i would have say it was intimidate but like you already have this skill it's maybe one more combat skill then ?
    - Cyborg Tech is the only "science" skill ?
    - Outdoorsman and Animal Whisperer could be use to do what kind of things (set trap for example ? travel faster if like in Fallout ? )
    Lot of combat skills, not a bad thing in a party cRPG (i don't wish perfect balance but i do hope none are useless)

13. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    It would ruin the SPLICES acronym.

14. Autoduel76

May 14, 2007
    I say just switch it back to agility and go with the acronym Ass Clip

Agility
    Strength
    Speed

Charisma
    Luck
    Intelligence
    Perception

15. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    And? That would make Examine either

1) A useless skill;

2) Such a good skill that you wouldn't need to dump any points into Perception.

16. Autoduel76

May 14, 2007
    What in the world are you talking about?

Perception is an attribute. You can not "use" perception.

Examine is a skill. You "use" it.

Skills are, in part, derived from attributes.

What are you having such a hard time understanding?

17. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    so as simple example for my better understanding

Perception is a skill which works always and actually gives you the "chance" to see an object in the first place. And "examine" is there for you so you can figure out how to interact with it while another skill like for example strength would help you to smash it like the hulk you are.

18. Autoduel76

May 14, 2007
    Perception is NOT a skill. It's an attribute.

In Wasteland you could actually USE attributes (which is something that you can't do in most game).

So, for instance, in Highpool, you had to (U)se (P)erception on the wall to find the entrance to a cave.

In Wasteland 2 you won't be able to use attributes. They will just be passive modifiers of skills.

Instead you would need to (E)xamine the wall. Which will use the skill "Examine". Examine will be largely influenced by how high your perception attribute is.

Seriously? Are people trolling me here, or do they not get it?

19. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    so just to make this clear perception can NOT be used?

20. pimpollo

pimpollo First time out of the vault

Jul 28, 2011
    That's right. The way I see it, attributes are just like the Skills from Fallout. They directly affect your skills but cannot be "used" in a literal sense, the way Skills are.