What would have happened if Bethesda chose to make their fallout 3 set in the west coast?

TheWastelander121

First time out of the vault
What would have happened if fallout 3 was not set in the ruins of D.C. but instead at the west coast. How much lore from the past games (FO1/2) do you think Bethesda would've messed up?

It's a good thing that bethesda didn't go to the west coast because just imagine the disaster that fallout 3 would've been if it had been.

Imagine a backhoe loader for a moment. Now imagine Todd Howard, having admitted to not really understanding the surrounding area, assuage everyone's fears by saying that he'd preserve, build, and maybe even modernize the existing foundations. He'd get into the backhoe loader and immediately begin his work.

Over the loud engine, you'd see him say "oh shit how do I operate this thing" right before he drives over the perfectly-kept green grass, scrapes the sides of several expensive cars, demolishes a mom-and-pop store that's been in the town for 10 years, and ruptures a natural gas pipeline causing severe damage to the road and the connected buildings.

Off in the distance, you'd see him stumble out of the driver's seat of the vehicle, and saunter off to the parking lot with a brown-bagged Corona (lite), wiping the sweat off his brow after a hard day's work under the California sun. Everyone around you is, rightfully, horrified at the damage that has been done. Outrage sets in, but not before the angered crowd is approached by a man wearing a Seattle Sounders football jersey with a large condescending grin on his face. You all immediately begin to question the man but he holds up his hand, looks away, and says he's "not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/ talking mutants and ghouls."

What would have happened if Bethesda chose to make their fallout 3 set in the west coast?

Shit.

black-shit-happens-t-shirts-men-s-slim-fit-t-shirt.jpg

How much lore from the past games (FO1/2) do you think Bethesda would've messed up?

All of it.

There would of been so much rage on these forums if that happened. I think alot of people would of given up on the series and never picked up another Fallout game ever again.

I could easily imagine the hypothetical game being by far the largest disaster Bethesda has ever seen as a company. Mostly because they would not have been able to get away with the crap they pulled in FO3 and 4.

Also the since the region would be the same the newer players would have been more interested in playing the original titles, thus beginning a rather large downward spiral that would ultimately be seen as an Ultima 9 remake. (to those who are aware of the massive failure of Ultima 9, you truly know how far this blackened pit of loathing actually goes.) "Whats a Paladin?"

At that point in time F3 would have been the end of the franchise. Which to be honest I'm surprised the current FO3 wasn't the end of the franchise considering how much it butchered the Fallout name.

However I can tell you this as a fact; as long as Bethesda maintains the rights of the Fallout franchise, there will be no Fallout games that will be truly enjoyable. We got very lucky with New Vegas, which is a mistake Bethesda will not repeat again as it greatly diminished their power over the IP in the eyes of the community. That and NV completely out performed their shoddy attempts of a Fallout game even when they only gave obsidian a extremely short time frame to produce the product.

I submit this to you now; The Fallout franchise from at least my perspective is dead. I can say that simply because the current track record from Bethesda, and their abuse of the IP has rendered any future attempt to regain the original fan base for the IP nearly impossible without relying on an outside studio like Obsidian. Which is simply the dying remains of a once great narrative titan.

Its almost as if we are the custodes, and the golden throne is Bethesda. We are merely protecting the IP, while watching it waste away as the bethdrones sacrifice their souls to feed the abomination.

Things may go worse if bethesda would continue to scrap lore material from Interplay era~
Nuka-World, gathorclaw
fallout4_gatorclaw_by_giuseppedirosso-daiwcqp.jpg

Fallout Tactics 2 (cancelled), mutant crocodile
Croc2.jpg

Augh, gawd.

The only solace can be found in that, back then, Bethesda wasn't so crazy right after Oblivion - though the Horse Armor is infamous, Shivering Isles and Knights of the Isle were a step in a better direction, so the facepalm writing might be of a less rampant feature, but countered by seriousness.

I say this because the plot of Fallout 3 itself as we have it was utterly weird. We need to find our dad who is trying to bring clean water back to the wasteland because apparently the water cycle itself is irradiated or simply doesn't exist and the Enclave comes in to hijack it to kill off the dirty wastelanders.

On the west coast, the Enclave is dead, there's civilization there, the brotherhood is on the decline, but I think they would had kept the first thing while amping the latter thing - maybe even placing the NCR-Brotherhood war as the plot itself. Think about it - it'll allow them to keep the oh-so-cool Brotherhood, have the region decimated by the war, allow the player to, like in Skyrim, choose a side, and either bring the BoS to victory or the NCR. How good the writing for such a thing would had been fully depends on the writing team of the time, so, I'm going to say the same as 3. It would had been overall the same, though a lot more canon might had been ignored or changed and that wouldn't had gone down so well, while still producing a corporate profit and setting the stage up for more games.

Also the since the region would be the same the newer players would have been more interested in playing the original titles, thus beginning a rather large downward spiral that would ultimately be seen as an Ultima 9 remake. (to those who are aware of the massive failure of Ultima 9, you truly know how far this blackened pit of loathing actually goes.) "Whats a Paladin?"
If they were so nice, they could "remaster" the original dilogy to speed up the process. (the steam release is one of the shoddiest old game releases I've ever saw on steam, it doesn't count) Hey, corporate greed and good times can do wonders with people.
Bethesda are not that far, though. Fallout 4 is equivalently shoddy as Ultima 8 was, and still is. Bethesda could speed up the process even further by pushing the Fallout MMO into reality, simultaneously having Fallout 5 half-done.

--and bethesda goes after large cities selectively, too. las vegas was basically the most sensible location so far. smaller, notably very young for an american city with less architectural heritage to just pretend never happened.

--and bethesda goes after large cities selectively, too. las vegas was basically the most sensible location so far. smaller, notably very young for an american city with less architectural heritage to just pretend never happened.

Which begs the question - what city would they had picked?

We've seen fans clamour for San Fran and Los Angles - even though those two cities were already featured. Some of those who clamour'd had to have known that and simply didn't care. It wouldn't be Sacramento, because Sac Town is too boring. Portland? Seattle? Seattle, maybe, it's more technological - great way to shove in the Brotherhood!

Things may go worse if bethesda would continue to scrap lore material from Interplay era~
Nuka-World, gathorclaw

Croc2.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. XD

Jesus fucking christ have they made a SINGLE original idea!? They've ripped off mods, Wasteland, and now FALLOUT TACTICS 2!?

FUCKING JESUS!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Which begs the question - what city would they had picked?

We've seen fans clamour for San Fran and Los Angles - even though those two cities were already featured. Some of those who clamour'd had to have known that and simply didn't care. It wouldn't be Sacramento, because Sac Town is too boring. Portland? Seattle? Seattle, maybe, it's more technological - great way to shove in the Brotherhood!
Consider how much they copy the left-over notes of VB and Fallout bible(s), most likely would be Denver

How much lore from the past games (FO1/2) do you think Bethesda would've messed up?
well... consider this, it only took them two games set on the east coast to ruin literally all of west coast lore. I mean that without exaggeration. they ruined everything. its almost impressive to be perfectly honest.
Nuka-World, gathorclaw

Croc2.jpg
so, for designs they ripped of the garthim from dark crystal to use as the fo4 mirelurk, then they ripped off wasteland two concept art for hermit crabs, then fallout tactics 2 concept art for the poorly named gator claw, before they "designed" a bear with mange, ripped off an entire questline from a mod, and the rest of there fallout creatures are just real life creatures sized up or ripped from fallout 1/2... that does it the fo3 mirelurk is the best thing Bethesda has designed since morrowind. why... why do people still give them money? I just... don't understand.

Last edited:
Honestly? We would have gotten the same game, but instead of Washington it would have been San Diego or something. Maybe Portland. The worst thing? It would have made more sense, with the BoS, the Enclave, and Super Mutants around...

Back