which version to buy?

keldarironfist

First time out of the vault
my old pc cant handle fallout 3 i was tempted to build a new budget machine to play this,but i have an itch to play this sooner then later. i hear the 360 version trumps the ps3 version is this game playable on 360? or would i be better off waiting.

I have friends who've acquired it for PS3 and 360. After playing through both a couple of times, I can safely say that the PC version trumps everything else. It has a higher level of immersion and less bugs. Better GFX obviously.

The 360 version has a nagging bug which causes the game to lock-up frequently. GFX are okay.

The PS3 one has deplorable graphics and you'll just feel that you're playing and not roleplaying.

SandmanX said:
I have friends who've acquired it for PS3 and 360. After playing through both a couple of times, I can safely say that the PC version trumps everything else. It has a higher level of immersion and less bugs. Better GFX obviously.

The 360 version has a nagging bug which causes the game to lock-up frequently. GFX are okay.

The PS3 one has deplorable graphics and you'll just feel that you're playing and not roleplaying.

Coming from someone who has a room mate with the PS3 version I can safely say on an HD tv the graphics are almost the same on the Xbox and 360 version, there is a difference but one that if you put them side by side hardly matters.
The only reason it would possibly matter to get the 360 version is for the exclusive content the PC and xbox are getting.

That said a high end pc smokes them both.

I rented the PS3 version (always test before buy) and need to know how the controls differ.

How does FO3 on PC handle increments of walk speed.
On the console versions, you adjust speed with the analog sticks. Can a keyboard/mouse do that?

Can keys be remapped?

Also, is 3rd person aiming better on PC? Can it be fixed with a mod?

Playing with the keyboard/mouse combo, you only have two options : walk, or run. No speed increments that I know of. You can crouch to run a little slower or walk at a turtle's pace if you want though.

All keys can be remapped as far as I can tell.

Aiming in 3rd person is actually pretty clumsy even with a mouse, mostly because it's difficult to judge where you character is really shooting, and if you have a clear line of sight. You have to imagine a line between your gun and the target, and must *not* trust the red indicator or you'll waste most of your ammo on the pillar/wall behind which you took cover. It also makes shooting close melee opponents much more difficult, as you can't tell if you're shooting the guy or the wall behind him. Seeing how hard it is just hitting your target, forget about aiming for the head or other fancy stuff while engaged in melee in 3rd person.

If I were you, I'd stick with the 1st person view for combats and save 3rd person for V.A.T.S. shots or walking around. Thankfully, you can switch between each view with a press of a single key (default key is F if I remember right).

Shame about the run/walk thing, but I can live that.

I HATE fighting 1st person. I don't like things running at the screen, and quick-turning in FP gives me a migraine, so I'll stick with 3rd person.

I made to level 4 on 3rd person only, but want it fixed with a mod for PC.
The camera doesn't zoom out far enough, and it shouldn't be attached to avatar movement. When I run from things, the camera often falls into the body of whatever's chasing me, including Dogmeat. That's just stupid.

I may buy it for Xmas it modders can fix this.

I have a top notch computer and I got it on PC and i recommend getting it on your 360.

Although PC version looks good and saves and loads extremely fast i have had a few problems with it. Locked up a few times when i sat down then got up. Froze once or twice besides that. I had to Jerry rig it so I could even run the cd, it never asked me for cd key (tried it on 2 disks) so I am sure when it comes to downloading the expansion ill have issues there. Just get xbox version for ease and online download ease.

Back