Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive---> Really Worth It?

Duckman

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Well, with these new HD DVD movies and series coming out, I am looking to buy the Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive. And I was wondering if any other Xbox 360 owners here have purchased the new HD DVD drive.

I also noticed that it can be used in conjunction with a PC, so I guess it is almost worth buying, with a new PC monitor we recently bough :D

What I am trying to ask is, is it really worth it?? There are limited amounts of movies/series etc on the HD DVD at the moment, but Blu Ray also lacks in movies etc... I guess the Xbox 360 drive is a cheap, and very efficient option, rather than buying an expensive sole HD DVD machine...

Why don't you stop being a ekcsbocks whore and stop flaundering your ekcsbocks whoredom on us, k', ekcsbocks boy?

j/k, much <3

Love you too DDD

Well, they are only AU$250, which is cheaper than anything else on the market...

It's a hard call Duckman. I know in the US they had a deal where you could get one for 170$US plus five movies, which makes the player not all that expensive in the end.

The trouble is, there's a good chance that in two years, your player might be invalid if Blu Ray wins (and thanks to the PS3... it seems to have a good lead atm).

So long as you know that going in, it might be worth the purchase.

Yeah, nobody wants to be stuck with the new Betamax. I certainly wouldn't buy either format just for movies right now.

SimpleMinded said:
The trouble is, there's a good chance that in two years, your player might be invalid if Blu Ray wins (and thanks to the PS3... it seems to have a good lead atm).
If no one goes out on a limb and buys it then the format will fail.

Microsoft have turned the death of HD DVD into a sort of self fulfilling prophecy by not making the standard player in the 360 the HD.

I am surprised that Microsoft has all but ruled out the use of HD DVD discs as gaming formats. I mean, they have the capacity to hold up to 30gb of data (Dual layered), over the standard 8~ gb ones used in the Xbox 360.

But yes, buying something like this may help win the new VHS vs Betamax war, but I still wouldn't mind buying it, considering it is a quarter the price of any Blu Ray player, be it stand alone, or in the form of a PS3.

Keeping the costs down, hedging their bets against the format failing or marketing ploy to make you buy another piece of hardware? But having the games use it would of made so much difference to the success/failure as well as quality of future games.

I know that game developers like Rockstar are openly miffed at Microsoft for not using HD DVD or Blu Ray.
Ironic for a company that tries to force it's customers to upgrade all the time.

requiem_for_a_starfury said:
SimpleMinded said:
If no one goes out on a limb and buys it then the format will fail.

While I agree, I feel that it's definitely something that needs to be taken into consideration before picking one up.

Whichever format can produce the best blank media will be the victor of the format war.

VHS, CDs and DVDs excelled because there was very affordable and good quality recordable media around.

Do you recall ever seeing Betamax blank recordable 80 minute tapes? Probably not.

You can currently buy a DVD burner for under $100, and a pack of 50 DVDs for around $25.

As soon as either HD-DVD or BluRay become affordable as a recordable media storage option, they will be widely accepted. Otherwise, sales will be miniscule at best. A BluRay burner currently costs $800 - and if that's just the burner; you can imagine the media must cost like $10 per disc.. 50 discs for $500? No thanks.

It aint worth it.
simply because there aint enough HD DVD Movies out there .
But i heard somewhere that if HD DVD fails,M$ is going to make the xbox 3shitsty HD DVD player capable of playing Blu ray Discs.

DarkLegacy said:
Do you recall ever seeing Betamax blank recordable 80 minute tapes? Probably not.

Actually yes. I have one around... somewhere. See, way back when my uncle used them for his camcorder, which was about the size of a small truck. And talk about a bad investment.
But they were awful expensive and crappy quality, so your point stands.

Looks like that HD-DVD drive might be a little closer to worth it.

Paramount and Dreamworks Animation are both exclusively supporting the HD-DVD format in their future DVD releases.

Linky

Back