A major worry that I have about New Vegas

I don't really understand the hostility toward a game? Yeah, I'm extremely frustrated with having waited this long to get a fallout themed oblivion. It sucks to have gone through so many let downs and empty promises but Fallout 3 was a mediocre game to me. It was enjoyable even if it wasnt really fallout. But to start off with so much hatred? Are you a red-headed step-child? Lol its okay, sulik won't judge too much.

Adam12 said:
I don't really understand the hostility toward a game? Yeah, I'm extremely frustrated with having waited this long to get a fallout themed oblivion. It sucks to have gone through so many let downs and empty promises but Fallout 3 was a mediocre game to me. It was enjoyable even if it wasnt really fallout. But to start off with so much hatred? Are you a red-headed step-child? Lol its okay, sulik won't judge too much.

You answered your own question, dude.

Lol, Thx. I guess I just didn't really expect another good fallout so I wasn't as disappointed.

Fallout 3 wasn't that bad. Really. Having been a HC gamer for 15 years and in 'the trade' for three (I work in a indie computer game store) I know real kack when I taste it.

Some of the complaints about F3 can't be solved ('cos it means a new game engine which costs aload of $$$) but some can. But it's too late for suggestions now.

Perhaps they were listening to the critisims about F3, I don't know. Sites like this are invaluble for game makers 'cos

a) People here play it to death, then pull apart the engine to see how it works. I think their comments are more pertinant (trolls exluded) than the catheter-needing professional reviewers who don't have the time to do this before they write their review or just can't be arsed.

b) people here usally know their canon better than the makers do. Doubly so for games like Fallout which have shifted company and/or staff over the years.

c) it's a good place to see what new ideas are floating around. Who says that some won't be picked up in the future?

For me, I think I might just wait until we bargian-box it at the shop.

Fallout 3 was a medicore game yea defenitly but wasn't a bad game. Fallout 2 was and is the best single player RPG game ive ever played, I liked Fallout 1 a whole lot too but not as much as Fallout 2.

Far as Fallout New Vegas goes I am in the same boat as most of you about it, but im %100 sure it will be better then Fallout 3 regardless of that's its using the same engine.

You know what, I dont care about the engine. Only thing that was DAMN annoying was those loading screens when entering into a building. I want Continuity!

overtake said:
You know what, I dont care about the engine. Only thing that was DAMN annoying was those loading screens when entering into a building. I want Continuity!
You never had to change a floppy disk eh ?

Lynette said:
overtake said:
You never had to change a floppy disk eh ?

Ah, the good old days.

That and blowing on a console cartridge for about 45 minutes to play.

And being able to drop a deuce while waiting for a web page to load on dial up.

Sorry, your going to have those loading screens for quite a while longer. Game makers do it to seperate the areas out because it reduces the amount of scenery, NPC's and crap to load each time. If it was all-as-one, the PC specs would proberly call for a 10 GB RAM, and the console versions wouldn't exist. Internal graphics are 90% of the time more detailed than external graphics ('cos externals are easily filled with big blocks, such as buildings or rubble, while internals are filled with 100 rusty cans, all which need to be placed).

Even if you don't really understand the details about the engine, you should care about it. If it is the same engine as F3, it means they (the makers) will know how to push it a bit harder while not demanding much more in the specs department. Some things will be hardwired, and can't be changed.

I remember modding Operation Flashpoint back in '03, and although you could get many odd things to work on it (such as ships, stealth bombers and plasma guns) some things just wouldn't (such as melee weapons and cavalry) because the game engine just couldn't cope with a weapon which fired no round or a 'car' which needed no petrol.

KarmaPolice said:
b) people here usally know their canon better than the makers do. Doubly so for games like Fallout which have shifted company and/or staff over the years.

But.... WAIT!
They should known the basics of canon, which is painfully obvious that somebody missed by several barn sides. Its not like they was attempting to shoot ants from 100m away.
"Shifted comapny and staff over the years" is idiocy, they was on quite the same team until Fallout 2 was over and Inteplay went down to bankruptcy along with megatons like New World Computering.
Then Bethsheda aquired control over the franchise, and butched it compltely.............. So there was just 1 staff change, from Interplay to Bethsheda.
So instead of attempting to defend those blind morons who made Oblivion: Attempt to rip of Fallout, can't we all agree they should be shot for attempting to ruin a good francise?

Thats a tad harsh. I don't think that they deserve execution, I'm reserving that for the makers of The Godfather (Game), Dell Computer designers and all people who decide to buy moulded right-handed mice for public computers.

They would have lost some staff over the years, even if Interplay had survived. The only people bitching more about Bethsheda than here is the Elder Scrolls sites, where they are still foaming at the mouth about Oblivion (deservedly so)

My sentence is twofold. Firstly, they must watch various critters dying in slow-mo for 10 hours. With a laser weapon, so that frying sound can drive them insane. Then, they must go and play Morrowind for at least 30 hours. To show them how a decent RPG is actully made (in regards of plot advancement, economics, side-stories, flavour text etc). Some of them may remember it - they did make it.

I was introduced into Fallout by Fallout 3. I did end up playing Fallout 1 & 2 and seeing how great they were. Made me feel foolish for ever missing such great games back when they were released. Still, I love Fallout 3 despite it's flaws. I enjoyed the game a lot. Looking forward to New Vegas with Obsidian working on it. I have to say though Fallout 2 is my favorite so far.

Fallout: New Vegas

I am very excited for this game. I am very sick of the whining and crying about Fallout 3. Everywhere in these forums. I am glad to see more like minded people in this thread. I've been playing Fallout since the first one came out. Fallout 2 is probably my favorite game of all time. Fallout 3 was an excellent game. No, they are not similar. How many years elapsed? Did you really think you would be getting the exact same game?

Having said Fallout 2 is probably my favorite game of all time, I feel the need to also comment it was by far one of the most buggy, glitch filled games I have ever played (and continue to play as I did much of this past weekend) but it didn't matter. It was worth gritting your teeth through. Fallout 3? I only ran into a couple of bugs and they weren't a big deal. No, the story and dialogue weren't as good as 1 and 2, but it was STILL A GOOD GAME no matter how much some of you cry and whine. It makes me think of old fogies who think the introduction of cell phones was the downfall of society.

This all being said, I am very excited for New Vegas, PARTICULARLY because some folks who worked on Fallout 2 are working on this. I am betting on a story and dialogue improvement from the "decent" not "excellent" story and dialogue in Fallout 3. No, I don't expect the hilarious and awesome dialogue of Fallout 2. That is why its in the "favorite game of all time" category. I don't expect every book I read and enjoy to win a Pulitzer.

Anyways, sorry to contribute to the MANY rants on here, but I just wanted to say, build a bridge and get over it.

Come on New Vegas!

KarmaPolice said:
Thats a tad harsh. I don't think that they deserve execution, I'm reserving that for the makers of The Godfather (Game), Dell Computer designers and all people who decide to buy moulded right-handed mice for public computers.

They would have lost some staff over the years, even if Interplay had survived. The only people bitching more about Bethsheda than here is the Elder Scrolls sites, where they are still foaming at the mouth about Oblivion (deservedly so)

My sentence is twofold. Firstly, they must watch various critters dying in slow-mo for 10 hours. With a laser weapon, so that frying sound can drive them insane. Then, they must go and play Morrowind for at least 30 hours. To show them how a decent RPG is actully made (in regards of plot advancement, economics, side-stories, flavour text etc). Some of them may remember it - they did make it.

This. And what Gocaps just said. The problem doesn't lie with fallout 3. You have to have blinders on to think that it does. The problem lies with dumbing games down to appeal to a broader fanbase.

Here's a news-flash: Oblivion sucked too. But all the reasons that you defenders of Fallout canon cite have nothing to do with why these games suck. I recently fell off the wagon and started playing WoW again though thankfully the inception of summer seems to have killed that budding re-addiction. Anyway, back when I played vanilla WoW was hard. It took me a year of near-casual play (I played a whole ton more pvp than leveled) to reach end-game content. You had to read quest-text to find out where to go, and which mobs to kill (unless you had a helpful mod). In order to do a multi-player pve dungeon you had to find a group of people to join you on your server, through chat. This was four or five years ago. I rejoin and now every quest shows up on the map, and there are cross-server random queues for dungeons. While the latter is a good development with unfortunate side effects (by far the most efficient way to level is to dungeon, so now it's all anyone does), the former is just retarded.

There was a point to that anecdote I promise. Let's get a little closer to the topic. Oblivion featured a number of developments over Morrowind besides the better graphics (better being a comparison of vanillas....texture packs for morrowind make it look as good as if not better than vanilla oblivion) and physics. The three biggest? Fast travel to any discovered location, from anywhere on the map, entirely level-based encounters and HUD and map markers for quest objectives. Part of what made Morrowind great was that fast travel was actually a function of your environment, and that you had to read quest descriptions to figure out where you had to go. Where a location would appear on your map if you received a quest at said location in Oblivion, in Morrowind you had to follow NPCs' landmark-based directions to get anywhere. These are merely the biggest examples among many of over-simplification and the relative success of the two titles indicates how the changes helped them sell games.

Now let's look at Fallout 3. So they could've taken Fallout and revolutionized it by adapting the skill system to function like Morrowind's, and to a lesser extent Oblivions. You don't need to get rid of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. to do this. You don't need to get rid of perks to do this. All those can be kept--you just get rid of experience. 'But what about non-combat skills!?' you ask. Last time I checked, Morrowind had non-combat skills. Instead, they did a horrible attempt at a first-person Fallout (and if you think for just a bit it would've been possible to make a fprpg with guns function very well indeed). I don't really care about canon or 'they ripped off the first two...wahh'. As a very causal (is that even possible) pre-FO3 fallout player, it seems to me that FoT: BoS wasn't canonical, and to those that have said 'well it wasn't an RPG so story doesn't matter' please go play Ogre Battle 64, or FFT. To me, that has nothing to do with why Fallout 3 (and Oblivion) is a garbage game.

It has everything to do with recent developments in gaming, spearheaded by the very company that published it with Oblivion. One final point. I have yet to beat Halo 1 or Halo 2 on Legendary. It took me and a friend about half-a-day to beat ODST on Legendary, with a rather large break for whatever they call their rip-off of Nazi Zombies.

Games are getting easier, and with this ease they're getting dumber. Sorry to break it to you. Go play your favorite classic and get active in modding so you can always have new content.

Well if I remember way back when everyone was denying the obvious, that Vegas would be 'New Reno 2', well I had that in mind when I read about New Vegas in a game rag, and that's exactly it. I have no problem with the New Reno 2 aspect, and yes I can bet you money that we're not the target audience anymore. I agree, who gives a shit about graphics? They're holding us back! I say we make New Vegas a Text Based RPG, or put it on an AGI-esque engine.

Honestly I didn't mind fallout 3, despite the lack of canon, the one sided story, and all that other shit. I got over the fact that Black Isle/Obsidian didn't make it. If you guys want New Vegas to religiously follow canon, you can dream, because I'm so sure it wouldn't happen, I'd bet both my kidneys.

Honestly, Bethseda did something you guys really didn't want to happen: Open the Fallout series to a Mainstream audience. Now that that has happened we have a divided forum of Monkeys flinging fecal matter at eachother over a GAME that failed to follow the fallout canon, but in turn created a larger fanbase.

Also if you actually give a damn about the realism of gaming, you need to get your head out of your ass, and have some fun, because gaming isn't meant to be like life, in fact, gaming is meant to escape life, because life sucks. When Realism tards completely take over the game market, I'm blowing my brains out.

Even if fallout 3 didn't follow canon, it wasn't a horrible game, if you want to see a horrible game, it isn't too hard to find one, If fallout 3 is half assed, then what do you call FFXIII? No assed?

I think people need to stop worrying about whether Fallout NV will be a success or not - (technically or financially), the game will come out; people will get it…play it…assess it…that’s it. It won’t really change your life - you might be happier for the experience, probably not. But it will be fascinating reading the threads after its release, when the dust has settled, and the real discussion can begin – as it was for Bethesda’s Fallout 3. :wink:

chankljp said:
Personally I was introduced to the Fallout series by playing Fallout 3. But one day after I picked up a copy of the original Fallout collection I realized just how good the first two games were and I never touched 3 again.

But very few of the other people I know that played Fallout 3 bothered to try the originals. Most of them just dismiss it as an old game or say how they refused to play any video game with 'bad' graphics. And every time you look at any New Vegas videos posted on YouTube, GameTrailers, or other video websites you will see that almost all the comments are from people that only played Fallout 3 and think that it is the 'real' Fallout! Most of them don't even know what the NCR is and think that the ranger in the trailer is a BOS solider or even the Lone Wanderer! (Worst of all, many of them think the BOS is the main focus of the series)

Here is my biggest concern, Obsidian is a company and their main objective is to earn profits. And since such a large majority of new Fallout fans are only interested in having another Fallout 3 style game (bad 'story' unrealistic background information, BOS being the good guys, etc), I am worried that Obsidian might be forced to abandon a lot of the things that made the original Fallout a masterpiece and keep most of the things that made FO3 bad in order to fit the need of the market.

I do realized that there are many hardcore Fallout fans like us out there, but to be honest, we are still outnumbered by the the 'noobs' of the series (No offense to anyone that enjoy Fallout 3 like I used to. I am only referring to those that know nothing about the older Fallout games). And it really worries me that New Vegas will ended up being another FO3 due to 'popular demand'.

What do you guys think?

I think your just another original fallout fan that wants things back how they used to be. I smell this kind of bullshit from a mile away.

I tried Fallout 2. It's an alright game but it doesn't beat Fallout 3. Maybe I like seeing what the character sees instead of looking at it with a telescope.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Or perhaps you should consider playing FPS games instead of a hybrid that has no clue what it wants to be.

No I like playing hybrid games as well. A bit of change from the regular FPS is good.

Back