A new-found appreciation for Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Fallout 3 Discussion' started by Apollyon, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Korin

Korin Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
    Admin

Aug 6, 2010
    I was one of the few people on NMA that actually liked Fallout 3. I probably spent two or three hundred hours in that game across two different platforms (I was also drunk almost the entire time). 10 years later the game has aged poorly for me. The quests and dialogue seem empty and so poorly done and most of the exploration and mechanical elements I enjoyed have become chores that are better implemented in the later games. Compared with New Vegas which I didn't love initially but has aged extremely well because good story, dialogue and diverse quest trees never get old.

I'll always love it for the atmosphere it conveyed as it got me into post-apocalyptic genres as well as jazz music (which eventually turned into me learning to play the trumpet along with start a swing dance hobby - I've been dancing Lindy Hop for over 5 years now!). Pretty much I love everything about Fallout 3 now except actually playing it. It exists better in a memory for me.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 5
  2. Richwizard

Richwizard So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 18, 2010
    I can't play FO3 anymore. I'm running it in Windows 7. It starts out just fine. After a few days of exploring the wasteland, it starts crashing. The further I progress, the more it crashes. I even tried completely rebuilding my game folder from scratch. It will have to live as just a memory.

3. Millim

Millim The Big Straight Orderite

Oct 13, 2010

This.
    I replayed Fallout 3 earlier this year and found it rather tedious. I didn't not enjoy my time, but a lot of it was spent wishing that what I was doing would end.

Fallout 3 hasn't aged well at all. The combat is sub par when compared to other shooters at the time, every other game is open World now and so it all that's left to draw attention to is the story... which is weak as shit.

I loved back in the day, but taking off those nostalgia googles led me to realise that I don't think it's that good at all.

4. Norzan

Norzan Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 7, 2017
    The Bethesda game that i actually liked at the first but when i tried to replay it years later and hated it is Oblivion. Going back to it just made me notice how bad and shallow it is. Specially the writing, dungeon design and exploration. I already didn't liked the combat and the level scaling in my first playthrough, these other issues in this playthrough just made things so much worse.

New Vegas was the opposite, to an extent. I didn't care much for it in my first playthrough, but i did enjoy it enough to finish. But the overall impressions were mixed. When i bought the game on Steam two years ago, it was like i was playing a completely different game. Putting the combat aside, which leaves a lot to be desired, i was enjoying the writing, the world building, the characters and even the exploration. I did play a lot of RPGs in between both playthroughs, so stuff like good writing and characters is something i started to appreciate more and more.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    If you really want to play Fallout 3, play TTW.
    We spend a ridiculous amount of time optimizing the Fallout New Vegas engine and it's pretty stable even on Windows 10.
    TTW is way more stable and has better performance than both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas by themselves.

6. Carlitosh636

Carlitosh636 First time out of the vault

Oct 7, 2019
    I have a similar feeling with F3. I find the main quest to be really boring and badly written. However the game has anamazing atmosphere and exploration. In fact, I would prefer the game to have no main story overall, just exploring and side quests. That would remove the urge to complete the main quest because the game reminds you every second that "yOUR FATHER IS OUT THERE LOOK FOR HIM".

Also, if you ask me, I would make the resources in game way more sparse, and add survival mechanics like the ones from Hardcore Mode/Survival Mode (except the rest to save. Creation Kit games are just way too prone to crashing, even with patch mods). I think that the game is much more fun when played as a survival horror, but in the end game you have so much ammo and stuff that any sense of danger and fear is lost. Yes the old Fallouts also made you into a demi-god but at least some parts of the story would get you to say "Yep, I'm fucked" (Specially the Master and Frank Horrigan).

If the game was a survival horror with RPG mechanics, it would be sooooooooo much better and enjoyable. There are already some mods to do that, so at least we can get that experience.

Also to answer the questions:

-Yep, for the reasons above.

-Welp, at least the game doesn't force you to go there (but the god damn quest marker likes to remind you constantly of Megaton's existence), and if it wasn't because the city doesn't make any sense, I would say it's a neat "tutorial" city. So I have mixed opinions.

-I like fast travel but Bethesda simplified it a lot. I like it way more in games like the old Fallouts or DAO, where you see the path AND random encounters can happen. Their worlds are more interesting to walk and explore but I would like an improved Fast Travel system.

7. Squadcar

Squadcar I'm spinning

Jun 1, 2018
    I'm pretty sure there was something like Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition (FWE) for Fallout 3 and that it may have been made/compiled by some of the people who did Project Nevada. I remember using it for a bit and thinking it was interesting but didn't get too far into it. If it's what I remember, it has a lot of adjustable values like Project Nevada does which means you can crank the difficulty of certain things and adjust spawn rates and quantity of loot.

Looking at the list someone made on TTW's forum about incompatible mods says Project Nevada is on that list. Would this ever be a possibility? I would love to see it happen if so.
    EDIT: I didn't really fully because dumb. Says that the core module for PNV will work with TTW? I might have to try that out then.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1