Aliens Vs. Predator (the 2010 fps, not the old one)...

zioburosky13

Vault Senior Citizen
A multi-player demo was released today,
and I am skeptic to order it (even Steam throws in a free copy of Universe at War).

1. It uses Steam's matchmaking, which is bad since you don't get to know the latency you are connecting. It also means you have to connect and play the game with people you know locally. I couldn't get a really smooth gameplay experience due to this.

2. The demo only offers deathmatch with max. 8 players. Couldn't get a taste of the co-op gameplay.

3. Keyboard control feels a bit awkward given it's console roots.

4. Sound problem. Ok it's a demo. :ugly:

I might as well hold my breath on this one and dump me money on STALKER Call of Call of Pripyat and Metro 2033.

EDIT: According to the disclaimer before the title menu loads, it said it is pre release material and does not reflect final product.
Well they have just released a shitty demo then.

don't really get why they give us a MP only demo. I'm not one bit interested in MP, I want to play an AvP game for the SP campaigns.

Yeah... since most FPS MP games are full of 12 year old douchebags, I'm not interested in a MP demo.

If the SP is good, I'll look into buying it.

Deathmatch only.
Hahahaha.
No teaming up against other species.
What were they thinking, jesus chrystus

I sometimes wonder what the point of MP modes in a FPS game that is sold primarily for its single player modus still is.

There are several MP FPS games that are incredible popular already because they do the MP part right.
People most probably see no reason to abandon those games for a MP mode in yet another regular FPS game.

Instead they could better focus on making the SP mode so good and memorable as possible, re playable without resorting to cheap tricks like collecting various crap throughout the game.

As for the new AvP game, I will most likely skip it.
I liked the Aliens and Predator franchises and enjoyed AvP2, but the new game is so full of story clichés that have been done to dead in the comics and movies, I see no reason to go through that again.

^ I sort of agree, the only MP that story-driven FPS should have is a co-op mode. Serious Sam did that perfectly.

The Dutch Ghost said:
but the new game is so full of story clichés that have been done to dead in the comics and movies, I see no reason to go through that again.

huh? like what for example? I haven't looked around that much, but from my understanding there is very little revealed about the game.

but obviously an AvP game is gonna be full of clichés. it wouldn't be AvP without a stealthy Predator stalking around taking trophies, hordes of xenomorphs and a badass marine with a smartgun. that's why the movies sucked, they didn't include the obvious clichés.

Well basically the set up is like this;

Some Wayland Yutani colonists/corporate types have located an alien pyramid (geeh I wonder where we heard that before) on some distant planet full of xenomorph eggs.

WY as usual wants to use the xenomorphs for research and use them as weapons and sacrifices loads of people for some reason to incubate them.

Something goes wrong at the colony (as usual) and some Colonial Marines are send in to investigate and clean up the mess, and like usual they are kept in the dark of what is really going on here until they start to die.

In the meantime some device is triggered in the pyramid that summons Predators whose task it is to seal the pyramid again and make sure that those pesky humans do not get away with any xenomorphs or Predator tech while at the same time getting some trophies.

That is it in a nutshell.

So, anyone else is having problems finding matches. I tried twice for 20 min and nothing, or do i have some problem at my end.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Well basically the set up is like this;

Some Wayland Yutani colonists/corporate types have located an alien pyramid (geeh I wonder where we heard that before) on some distant planet full of xenomorph eggs.

WY as usual wants to use the xenomorphs for research and use them as weapons and sacrifices loads of people for some reason to incubate them.

Something goes wrong at the colony (as usual) and some Colonial Marines are send in to investigate and clean up the mess, and like usual they are kept in the dark of what is really going on here until they start to die.

In the meantime some device is triggered in the pyramid that summons Predators whose task it is to seal the pyramid again and make sure that those pesky humans do not get away with any xenomorphs or Predator tech while at the same time getting some trophies.

That is it in a nutshell.

ok, you're right. that's just a little too cliché ever for the AvP franchise. oh well, I'm still hoping for an entertaining SP campaign.

anyways, I played a few matches of the demo and was a bit disappointed. I only played as marine and alien and while alien felt pretty much like in the old games (as usual, I barely knew how to control it), but the marine felt stale as fuck. there's no running, no crouching, no leaning left/right, and no goddamn aming down your sights!

Mutoes said:
So, anyone else is having problems finding matches. I tried twice for 20 min and nothing, or do i have some problem at my end.

Pretty much everyone is. The demo is a steaming pile of shit, which is exactly what I predicted it'd be after I heard Rebellion was developing it.

My friends and I couldn't even get the broken matchmaking to put us in a game. It would take like 2 minutes, toss us in a lobby with a bunch of other people (and since the game hijacks your mic and there is NO way to disable the sound, or even enable PTT, you get to listen to a bunch of mouth breathers endlessly wheezing as their mics auto-key), then load for ~4 minutes... before throwing up a connection error.

I got it on the Xbox. Seems much better on it because I can actually find dudes to play with. Playing a Marine is hard though. If your flashlight is on, the Alien can sense you through walls and the only clue to a Predator's existence is a faint shimmer like an ice cube.

You guys seem to hate MP games for some reason. Comes with playing computer games since the 80's and 90's I guess. Nostalgia does make everything better, I suppose.

OakTable said:
You guys seem to hate MP games for some reason. Comes with playing computer games since the 80's and 90's I guess. Nostalgia does make everything better, I suppose.

you might be reading a bit too much into things there, pal. I can only speak for myself of course, but no one here said "I hate MP games". I actually play a whole lot of WoW and other mmorpg's. but I'm not that interested in MP in an AvP game - I'm a lot more interested in the SP, and what I think of the MP isn't for one second gonna affect wether I buy the game or not.

aenemic said:
don't really get why they give us a MP only demo. I'm not one bit interested in MP, I want to play an AvP game for the SP campaigns.

Because it's the only reason most idiots wanna buy it, people don't wanna buy anything without MP anymore, since they can't act like an asshat and broadcast their ultra uwber-1337 skillz they boosted on some leaderboards, while badmouthing everyone else. :P

What were you saying about the MP hate, aenemic?

Anyway, I enjoy a Single-Player game from time to time. It is the MP that makes me pop it back in.

Multiplayer games are just a way for some over-inflated douche bag to claim victory over someone just looking to have fun. I'm decent at MP first person games. Not great. I'm fine with being beaten as long as the person who beat me isn't some overinflated asstard gloating how good he is at life.
My MP hate just stems from people who can't play the game and have this horrible inferiority complex about losing at a game that doesn't matter and tends to troll weather they win or lose.

Oh they won. "Oh you're a fuckin' faggot that shouldn't play the game."

Oh they lost. "You're a fuckin' cheater. You should die for winnin' you faggot."

Or at least that is my personal experience. Also why I hate multi-player gaming anymore. You can't just be adequate and have fun, win or lose, without some stupid moron around gloating or whining.

On topic: I really hope it's decent and somewhat fun.

Played a few games on the demo, it's okay, pretty fun when you get good with your preferred race.

I_eat_supermutants said:
Or at least that is my personal experience. Also why I hate multi-player gaming anymore. You can't just be adequate and have fun, win or lose, without some stupid moron around gloating or whining.
... Which is why I prefer the somewhat outdated MP games, because after 2-3 years the 13-y.olds and turn-people killing the game move on to some new shiny game. Older games like Unreal don't really have the problem. Also, why not just disable chat and voice chat and enjoy the game?

Back