AMD Phenom 9550 Processor

Chaindog7777

First time out of the vault
How will that processor handle Fallout 3?

- Socket: AM2+
- Cache: 4x512KB L2 / 2MB L3
- Frequency: 2.2Ghz
- Hypertransport 3.0
- Cool ‘n Quiet 2.0

Also I will be using XFX GeForce 9800 GTX + Video Card as my card. 4 gig of ram.

AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad Core Processor
Asus M3A78-CM Motherboard
ExpressGate 5 Second Boot Linux OS
AMD 780V/SB700 Chipset
4GB DDR2-800 High Speed Memory (2x2GB)
Integrated Radeon 3100 GPU
Hybrid CrossfireX Ready
Dual Display Ready
RAID 0/1/0+1 Capable

So what do you think, can it handle Fallout? I want mods so this game won't suck.

I'm running Fallout 3 on a Athlon64 X2 2.3 GHz with a Radeon 4850 (pretty much equal to your videocard), 4 Gigs of RAM and a similar motherboard. It works fine for me (30+ FPS most of the time at 1680x1050 with something like 2xAA and 8xAF, or so) so you should be just fine with that CPU and rig. :)

Oh, you might want to make sure you don't run too much view distance on some things (grass, trees etc) to avoid stuttering when turning around quickly outdoors, but keep the view distance for NPCs high for better spotting of enemies.

Chaindog7777 said:
How will that processor handle Fallout 3?

- Cool ‘n Quiet 2.0

So what do you think, can it handle Fallout? I want mods so this game won't suck.

I'm not sure if this is still valid; but I remember a few years ago the Cool 'n Quiet thingie caused a fpsdrop when playing games.

Back in 2006 I bought an Athlon x2 64 dualcore... got into problems playing games soon after booting it up.

The game started with top FPS but soon it dropped to unplayable conditions (I was playing world of warcraft at the time). It was very easy to notice.

Disabling the cool and quiet option in BIOS fixed this problem.

I dont run amd on my current setup tho so I don't know if AMD has fixed this problem.

Regarding your setup.. it looks nice. You wont be able to play on ultra with acceptable performance tho.

Back