Anti-Materiel Sniper?

FoxHua7

First time out of the vault
What are your thoughts on this sniper? Is it better than the .308? What makes each better of worse. In my opinion, the Anti is better. My only problem is the ammo, its hard to get.

I don't use the AMR very much, but if I remember correctly, it was slow to re-load. Isn't the DAM higher than the DPS? or am I thinking of a different gun?

I always choose the .308 Sniper Rifle because I know a few spots to find them early in the game (requires high lock-pick skill), and the ammo is easy to get.

Keep in mind, it's Anti-MateriEl Rifle. :p

I take the Brush Gun over everything else. :> Makes at least the same damage, I can craft the handloaded ammo and it doesn't have a scope that might annoy me in close combat.

Re: Anti-Material Sniper?

FoxHua7 said:
What are your thoughts on this sniper? Is it better than the .308? What makes each better of worse.

It's not better, it's a different weapon for a different use. That said I prefer the AMR for the satisfying "heavy weapon" feeling it has, especially with Bloody Mess. :)

Keep in mind, it's Anti-MateriEl Rifle. :p

In Italy it was translated as Anti-Matter Rifle ("Fucile Anti Materia"), go figure. :roll:

Well, in the english original it's Materiel and that's what matters.

I quite liked the AMR. One hit quick skup to the face. Not so good with deathclaws though. Slow firing with deathclaws are the only draw back and no mods. Ordinary sniper rifles are ok I guess. I always have a silenced sniper rifle in my hotkeys. I just don't see the point in using an unsilenced sniper rifle. It's ugly. And the bastardization of it in fallout 3.

Your shooting something in the face with an anti tank rifle, sheer awesome.
Though most high tier rifles can one shot pretty much anything it's more of a matter of personal choice, though the Gobi is possibly the best from what I can remember stat wise.
Too busy sploding stuff with an explosives character to remember my sniper. :V

No one's made anti tank rifles since the forties, and even then, they were grossly obsolete. It's for punching through light armor/cover and people. Which is funny, considering there isn't any penetration in F:NV.

EDIT:
The .308

Silencer + Carbon Fiber parts kit? .308 JSP, flat out 1.5x DAM? Fuck yeah.

Though my preferred rifle is This Machine.

This Machine or the All American all the way for me when it comes to rifles. If I want something big taken out from a distance I pull out my tesla beaton (legend deathclaw 2 shot kill with max charge EC packs).

Anti-materiel has both its pros and cons.
Under the pros I'd state the sheer firepower it offers and the whole feeling of making you a brutal marksman that decapitates it victims wherever it goes (that is bound to happen, after all).
However, the cons list would probably be longer: strength requirement is pretty high (8), it is heavy, and takes a lot of skill points in Guns in order to be properly used. Not to mention it is a pricy one, and so is its ammo, but this shouldn't be a problem for most players.

In the end, I'd say AMR is a balanced rifle, and I suggest using it at sniping tougher targets (as it is its original purpose, after all). AMR can (accompanied with a proper ammo) effectively exterminate a dozen of deathclaws from a safe point, without endangering you for a moment.

However, you won't be encountering deathclaw colonies or packs on every corner, so in my opinion, even sticking to an ordinary sniper rifle could prove to be a more profitable and fruitful choice.

I have a very difficult time not knocking people's limbs off, regardless of what I use. I"ve done it with power fists, sledge hammers, spiked knucles, chance's knife, and and regular fists.

Punching people's heads off is wonderful, though. Oh, you have a plasma cannon? I'm sorry I have a FIST.

On my sniper character I run around with a Ranger Sequoia, a Gobi Campaign Scout Rifle and an Anti-Materiel Rifle. I find the AMR better for things like Cazadors and Deathclaws, especially with AP ammo and sneak attack crits.

A Sneak Critical to the head with the AMR loaded with AP ammo (or even better, the Match rounds) and Better Criticals can kill almost anything in the game. I doubt there are a lot of enemies with more than 600HP in the game.

Alphadrop said:
Your shooting something in the face with an anti tank rifle, sheer awesome.
Though most high tier rifles can one shot pretty much anything it's more of a matter of personal choice, though the Gobi is possibly the best from what I can remember stat wise.
Too busy sploding stuff with an explosives character to remember my sniper. :V

Hunting Rifle deals more pure damage than Gobbi AND Sniper rifle. :roll:
Gobbi shines at critical damage though.

In my first playthrough I used the AMR. Then I discovered Brush Gun and dumped the AMR. Then I was gifted with the Survivalist Rifle and dumped Brush Gun.

Wonder what Obsidian will give me next?

A nice Sharps rifle in .44, rated for .44-110. Buffalo rifle, baby. And then lots of new recipes for .44 so you could play around with different loads for pew pew pew. And a nice .44 revolver with a loading gate. Loading gates are the shit.

Back