Any way to stop the incessant SMG reload idle animation?

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by dvlfsh, Feb 20, 2015.

1. burn

burn Mildly Dipped
    Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    @AnotherLife I feel your pain. I don't think it's possible currently, but I'm still searching for the filename of the sound. I believe the sound is the most distracting part.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  2. burn

burn Mildly Dipped
    Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    No, actually @BreakinBenny is right. It's hmxxxia.acm (and its conterpart hmxxxja.acm for rifles). Somehow they don't sound quite the same in winamp, so I couldn't recognize them.
    Anyway, to stop the annoying sounds, you just need to drop an empty acm file with the corresponding name into SFX directory.

3. BreakinBenny

BreakinBenny First time out of the vault

Jun 18, 2015
    However, the SOUND.LST will have to be refreshed with "regsnd.exe" so it doesn't crash your game upon trying to play a file whose information doesn't match the LST file's.

4. burn

burn Mildly Dipped
    Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    Don't know, works for me without refreshing

5. BreakinBenny

BreakinBenny First time out of the vault

Jun 18, 2015
    @burn As in, when the critter makes the idle animation for the SMG weaponry.

6. burn

burn Mildly Dipped
    Modder

Apr 22, 2012
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 5, 2015
    So this problem has been bugging me a lot lately as well. I finally had to use the audio file replacement method to alleviate the annoyance.

I did some testing, and it seems the idle animation runs about every 5-6 seconds on regular game speed. The thing about it is that it runs the same for every weapon. But depending on the animation of the weapon the animation and sound are different. So for every animation there is a separate sound file. There is about 8 or 10 animations total. almost all guns are annoying, but the melee ones are more tolerable, although even they get on your nerve once you speed the game up. The sounds are so bothersome I've noticed myself unconsciously muting the game.

Now removing all the sounds is "A" solution, but then you don't have any of those sounds anymore, ever.

I'm wondering is it possible to change the timer for this animation through sfall? If so then it would be a true fix.

If it could be set to 30 seconds, or it could be dynamically changed according to game speed, would be perfect. So could this be fixed with sfall? or is it too much of a hassle?

8. Mr.Stalin

Mr.Stalin Agent of Enclave Modder

Oct 29, 2015
    Control in the script what time interval the idle animation will be executed.
    Code:
    variable nexttime;

procedure start begin
       if game_loaded then begin
          set_global_script_type(0);
          set_global_script_repeat(1000);
       end
       else begin
          variable time = read_int(0x510734);
          if (nexttime != time) then begin
             nexttime = time + ONE_GAME_MINUTE *100;
             write_int(0x510734, nexttime);
          end
       end
    end

or simply random: write_int(0x418356, ONE_GAME_MINUTE*100);

9. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    From the engine code, the interval to determine the next idle animation is based on:
    roll_random_(0, 3000) + 1000 * (1 to 7), I think the values are in system ticks (millisecond).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 5, 2015
    Wonderful. I'm not familiar with some of those functions, but I should be able to figure it out.

So is 0x510734 the offset for the timer of this anim?

Now what's that second offset exactly? (0x418356)

Also interested to know where you got the offsets, I'd like to have a look at the page if there is one. I think I maybe saw a page with a lot of offsets somewhere in sfall source code, is that where this is from?

also curious, how have you guys been dealing with this issue yourselves in the past? (Nova and Stalin). replaced audio files?