Atari sues to suppress bad reviews

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude

Phil the Nuka-Cola Dude Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jul 9, 2004
    MegaGames
    Kotaku
    NGOHQ
    Slashdot

Big publishers manipulating reviews to spur sales of trashy games isn't anything new, but filing a lawsuit under the guise that the site in question reviewed a pirated copy (most likely one that was pulled early from a retail outlet before the game officially went on sale)?

Cmon Atari; cut your losses and do better next time.

2. Mord_Sith

Mord_Sith Mildly Dipped

Sep 21, 2007
    So instead of making a better game, they're suing the dissenters...

What a world...

3. fedaykin

fedaykin Vault Fossil

Jul 15, 2007
    That's gaming journalism for ya.

"Hype machine? What hype machine?"

4. DirtyDreamDesigner

DirtyDreamDesigner Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Apr 15, 2005
    Aw, shit, I was really looking forward to it too.

5. aries369

aries369 Still Mildly Glowing

Feb 2, 2007
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=154462

As you can see Eurogamer has also reviewed the new Alone in the Dark game giving it a 7/10 score when reviewing it. Interestingly, enough, Eurogamer hasn't been threathened with a lawsuit from Atari - not yet anyway.

As far as I can understand from the Eurogamer review the game's problem seems mostly to stem from the game's user interface. The story, the gameplay etc. seems to be worth a least an 8.0 or maybe even a 9.0 out of 10.

But going as far as to sue the sites that has given the game a lower score than Atari expected, there's a stretch, I find.

6. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    Stretch? It's goddamn outrageous.

Magazines aren't allowed to write bad reviews anymore?

7. MrBumble

MrBumble Vault Fossil

Jan 17, 2006
    Tried the game at a friend's yesterday : sue me Atari but your game rather blows...

Stiff animation, rather bad graphics, a handful of bugs, SUCKY interface...Bad

The worst thing is that it looks rather cool at first but as soon as the fire starts within the building, you can TELL the game sucks.

8. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    That is a shame to hear MrBumble, I was actually looking forwards to that game but I already heard some rumors here and there.

9. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    Suing for writing a review from a pirated copy: Ok. I understand.

Threating people to sue for using a pre-released retail edition of the game: Morally, you're a douchebag. Ethically, you're still a douchebag, but I guess you have some kind of right to be upset. I bet you wouldn't be complaining if they gave you a good review.

Threatening people to sue for writing a bad review, on the grounds that they may have used a pre-released retail version: I hope your business bombs. This is why Steam rocks. It's cuts the resource-sucking producer out of the equation if a developer chooses so.

10. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    crap, a friend of mine worked as a level designer on AitD... i hoped he'd have an awesome first (professional) game.

damn it. :(

11. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    I've heard only good things about the game. The only bad parts were the driving segments. Other than that, based on what I heard about it, I'm definitely checking it out.

12. SimpleMinded

SimpleMinded Vault Fossil

Jun 17, 2003
    Aye, I've heard mixed things about it so far. It's too bad as the series could really use a reboot a la Tomb Raider.

As for Atari? Is anyone surprised? Publishers fight for positive press... and unfortuantely cause themselves even more trouble.

13. Mutoes

Mutoes Mildly Dipped

Feb 5, 2008
    I read couple months back this oldest finnish gaming magazine called Pelit. In their main article was intresting story how they wouldve been sued if they were to publish a bad review of some game they had reviewed in that months release.
    They didnt say which game it was but they mentioned it deserved more than the 8 that was needed that they could put that review in their mag.

I didnt know this was even possible.... can game companies actually say to some gaming magasine that they wont be allowed to review game. At least im assuming reviewers cant be sued particularly just about writing bad review, so it has have to do something with reviewing game that havent been publicly released or some such?

14. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    First, let's get one thing straight: Atari is suing because they believe 4players.de used an illegitimate copy or a copy that was unrepresentative of the final product. In both cases they have some grounds for a suit: you can't review based on a preview copy, and you sure as hell can't review a pirated copy, both actions are illegal.

Of course, the ground motive of Atari is the low rating. Bad PR on their side.

As for the other bit: publishers can attach contractual obligations to preview copies, including "if the score is less than 9/10, do not publish before street date". I've never seen preview copies attached to absolute minimum scores, but I think that happens more as a trade-off for exclusives.

They usually don't - note - they usually just *ask* "do not publish low scores before street dates", and most major gaming sites/mags oblige. That's how they became major gaming sites/mags.

15. Serge 13

Serge 13 Pyramids, babe! Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    yeah...i am not surprised.i wrote a review at gamespot for mass effect and i complained about some issues of the game.
    what did they do ?
    they delete my review and told me that they would ban me if i complained about the game again !

16. Wooz

Wooz Vault Sweeper Admin Orderite

May 18, 2003
    "Love it, or leave it. I get beat up if I criticize it"

17. Eyenixon

Eyenixon Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 11, 2008
    It's not like the Alone in the Dark series went anywhere after the first one.

18. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    What, in your blog? You can write whatever you want there, unless you swear or insult people. Which I'm guessing you did?

19. Serge 13

Serge 13 Pyramids, babe! Orderite

Jul 20, 2006
    I didn't swear.
    Not a single word.I just complained about some of the games issues.
    and it wasn't in my blog.you can write reviews in gamespot.there is a section for user reviews and such for each game.

20. maximaz

maximaz Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Apr 2, 2006
    I have a hard time believing that. There are plenty of negative user reviews, why would they delete yours? There is some other reason it got deleted, I assure you.