• Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

• Fallout Shelter

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Fallout 2. 1 has better story, mood and is overall a tighter package, but 2 is - even with it's obvious shortcomings - better as a game (bigger and more expansive, improvements on gameplay and interfaces...).

New Vegas is a "valiant effort" and "best of a bad situation" and all that, but the basic minute to minute gameplay is just.... :yuck: It just doesn't do. No.

Tactics is a nice combat romp, but a tad boring.

3, 4 and PoS are all equally shit. No point in rating what kind of shit is the shittiest of the shits. No matter what the result it's all still just shit and you wouldn't put it in your mouth.

Fallout 2. 1 has better story, mood and is overall a tighter package, but 2 is - even with it's obvious shortcomings - better as a game (bigger and more expansive, improvements on gameplay and interfaces...).

New Vegas is a "valiant effort" and "best of a bad situation" and all that, but the basic minute to minute gameplay is just.... :yuck: It just doesn't do. No.

Tactics is a nice combat romp, but a tad boring.

3, 4 and PoS are all equally shit. No point in rating what kind of shit is the shittiest of the shits. No matter what the result it's all still just shit and you wouldn't put it in your mouth.
So in which order is the best worst to the worst of worst to you?

Personally I'd say

3. BoS (I've never played it)
2. Fallout 3 (It was my first fallout so i'd give credit to it for showing me the actually good games in the series)
1. Fallout 4 (This was just awful, awful, its not even on par with Fallout 3 being bad. It's just worse).

Easily Fallout 1 for me, a very memorable and well paced game that I can replay countless times. Fallout 2 could've been better than FO1 for me if they handled the difficulty better, fixed the quest journal and had better party AI customization without giving full party control. The humor in FO2 also got a little out of hand. New Vegas has great writing but the game still has it's problems.

I used to be the biggest New Vegas fan in the world but now I'm bored of it whenever I play it. The whole game is just this long buildup to the hoover dam battle with random questlines to prepare for it. It kind of reminds me of mass effect 2, there isn't much of a plot. Though I suppose you could say that about any Fallout game. I also played the game for 1000 hours according to steam so maybe I just played it too much. Typing all of this is actually making me want to replay Fallout 2 now.

So in which order is the best worst to the worst of worst to you?

I can't really say, and like I said earlier, I don't think it makes much difference since all are below the bar.

3 and PoS I did play from start to finish; although 3 was for not really knowing to expect that it would go as low as it did and PoS was co-op with hopes that it would provide some semblance of similiar low-key hangover fun as BG Dark Alliance games (which it didn't). With 4 I noticed right away was just a clusterfuck of halfbaked features none of which contributed to anything meaningful, and this time knowing exactlly what to expect I just couldn't get myself to bother with it more than a few hours (thankfully I didn't waste money on it).

So yeah. In my book they share the bottom position in the Fallout franchises timeline.

Quality > Quantity. With the former, FO2 lacks polishing. Not to mention some silly fluff made into the game in exchange for undeniably cool stuff like EPA (with transgender-pandering sex-change machine, yay for lgbt /s) and Abbey.

Quality > Quantity. With the former, FO2 lacks polishing.

Very true. Doesn't change anything, though. There is a line, where that doesn't quite work. Fallout and Fallout 2 are both very small games, and there's a choice to be made between "a 40-minute excellent shortfilm and 2-hour very good but not thoroughly excellent feature flick".

Not to mention some silly fluff made into the game

Fallout 2 gets a lot of flak for the overblown silly shit that got in, and it's undoubtly deserved, but it's also something like 5-10% of the game and often gets blown out of proportion.

Fallout 2 gets a lot of flak for the overblown silly shit that got in, and it's undoubtly deserved, but it's also something like 5-10% of the game and often gets blown out of proportion.
That's not the full reason, and that's not the full quote either. Some cuts were not purely because of short development time, like Ian easter egg, he's cut and his fate is rewritten, though that one is kinda off, but still, Fallout 2 indicates that people's lifespan is prolonged a bit. On the other hand, Fallout 2 is too big to be even remotely cohesive, which is still kinda bummer.
Fallout and Fallout 2 are both very small games, and there's a choice to be made between "a 40-minute excellent shortfilm and 2-hour very good but not thoroughly excellent feature flick".
That would mean comparing main quest, which in F2 gets silly with Enclave inclusion. The side content is hit or miss. Next to Klamath there's 2/3 done Den and pretty basic Modoc.

But, nah, it's okay game. Hard to argue which one of Fallout games is best, especially for not-TB-purists since New Vegas is very well written and handled RP system, not to mention mods to the resque much alike to F2 case. But the worst games are very easy to name, since they are even bad on it's own.

Last edited:
The games as a whole was my idea of the analogy.
Hit-or-miss still, which is like frame-rate stutter, can be annoying and kicks out of immersion.

Enough of that, what's makes the worst of Fallout games, well, the worst? It doesn't end on Not being Fallout, IMO. Fallout 3 was poorly done, but at least it grasped the C&C concept and SPECIAL had some resemblance while Alt+F4 is just poorly thought FPS.

The "main quest" is but an excuse to tell the real story (or what ever kind of story you want to create with what you have at your disposal) anyway. It's not much in Fallout 1 either, better, but there too the crux of the storytelling comes from what you do along with your main quest. You get a pretty poor experience if you only engage in the main storyline.

Last edited:
The "main quest" is but an excuse to tell the real story (or what ever kind of story you want to create with what you have at your disposal) anyway. It's not much in Fallout 1 either, better, but there too the crux of the storytelling comes from what you do along with your main quest. You get a pretty poor experience if you only engage in the main storyline.
True, but in Fallout 1 the side quests are logically framed around the main quest. You naturally come across these quests on your journey to stop the master. In Fallout 2 however there are multitudes of locations that you wouldn't visit unless you wanted to. Modoc, Gecko, Broken Hills and Vault 15 are some of the best examples.

c'mon, Fallout 3 deserv
True, but in Fallout 1 the side quests are logically framed around the main quest. You naturally come across these quests on your journey to stop the master. In Fallout 2 however there are multitudes of locations that you wouldn't visit unless you wanted to. Modoc, Gecko, Broken Hills and Vault 15 are some of the best examples.
That comes on the discussion on what good open world games should be. I've enjoyed Fallout 4 on a very special way, ignoring the main quest. The survival mode is a good plus, too.

In Fallout 2 however there are multitudes of locations that you wouldn't visit unless you wanted to. Modoc, Gecko, Broken Hills and Vault 15 are some of the best examples.

I don't know why that's a problem. If you can't figure out a reason for your character to visit those places (and there's plenty of possible reasons), you don't go there. The story reflects that.

I don't know why that's a problem. If you can't figure out a reason for your character to visit those places (and there's plenty of possible reasons), you don't go there. The story reflects that.
It just goes to show how poor the story is and badly the world is tied together. Other then that, it's a great game.

Back