Best way to play Tactics

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
T

TorontoReign

What is the best way to play Tactics? Is the base game playable for the average NMA poster without serious bugs? I can think of the bug where if you are crouching and enter a vehicle it fucks your stats up. I am looking to inform NMA about the best ways to play this game since it never got the proper love. Any advice or assistance would be welcomed. Basically what mods are we looking at here like Killaps?

I don't know if I'd say that there's an equivalent to Killap's mod for Tactics (is there cut content for this game?), but these two mods are essential for the base game:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-tactics-redux
https://www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux/downloads/equilibrium-v20-final

You'll need the first to play the second.

There is also an FPS bug where if you have a newer computer (post-2001) then random encounters are tied to your frame rate. This results in ridiculous amounts of encounters when trying to traverse two or three map tiles. I think Redux corrects this, but I'm not sure.

So long as you remember that this game is more tactical than role-playing and build your PC as a combat or sneak-oriented character, the average player could tackle this game.

I made everyone a sniper. Everyone gets Hunting Rifles. It fucking works until the Calculator and I got through the Calculator without much trouble. It especially helped in Saint Louis when dealing with the Mutants for the first time. Then again I go through nearly every game as a archer, sniper, sneaky scout type.

I dunno if this is a bug or overwatch, but stepping out behind of cover to take a shot at somebody in TBC only to get nailed by a enemy during your turn was bullshit.

I dunno if this is a bug or overwatch, but stepping out behind of cover to take a shot at somebody in TBC only to get nailed by a enemy during your turn was bullshit.

Say hello to Overwatch.

I made everyone a sniper. Everyone gets Hunting Rifles. It fucking works until the Calculator and I got through the Calculator without much trouble. It especially helped in Saint Louis when dealing with the Mutants for the first time. Then again I go through nearly every game as a archer, sniper, sneaky scout type.

You don't play using any kind of mod or bug fix?

Say hello to Overwatch.

You don't play using any kind of mod or bug fix?

I did not. I got it from that Fallout 1- 2-Tactics bundle, the brownish box, a physical copy, from a store, like 8 years ago. Most fun I ever had. Maybe 1 was patched, I do not remember, so that might be a factor. I didn't even know anyone cared to mod Tactics until like a few years ago and by then I had sold my copy.

The best way to play Tactics is not playing it. The game is absolutely horrendous mess filled with ungodly bugs and errors, and inexplicable game features from the developers who didn't even know what they're doing.

No mods can remotely save this game. As far as I'm aware of, the two most popular mods; Redux and Equilibrium only changes the game's statistics. (weapons, armors, recruits) - Those are just re-balancing mod, not a bug fix mod that this game desperately needs.

I know this particular forum has a script patch that fixes some of the crucial bugs in the game, but the game is still at an intolerable state even with those patch. And the patch is not exactly new-comers friendly, either.

Well you are totally wrong about that but thanks for your shitty input...Spongebob. I'm doing a news post for Tactics since it is actually a better Fallout game than Fallout 3, so I need real input not butthurt fanboyism.

The only problem I had with Tactics was that I couldn't figure out vehicles, but had no other problems or bugs otherwise, and it was mostly dealing with the Sherman in that industrial block level anyway.... Everything else worked fine and I loved tactics, probably even had more fun with it than with 2.

Right it is a playable game. I had just as many bugs with the other two classic Fallout games but newfags don't know that because they were mostly not alive when 1998 was the year.

Every input I have stated are came from my personnel experience of playing it for myself, and observing others playing it, or even digging through the map editor to see why this certain feature doesn't work, and I can easily say that Fallout Tactics is not a good game. The game is really, really horrendous.

I *can* write down all the goofy stuffs about this game, but that's gotta take some time, and I don't want to spend my time and energy to convince someone that the game is bad(no offence to anyone), but it's very clear that the game is messy.

And just to clarify, I'm not one of those 'newfags' who dived into Fallout by the ones made by Bethesda. Heck, I never even played Fallout 3 myself.

No, because when it's not obvious, you have to waste your time to explain everything in detail Spongebob.

I could say the same thing about Fallout 3 but plenty of people will defend it. Fallout Tactics had bugs, but it can be beaten in it's vanilla state. It's a game for people that liked the combat. It's not for storyfags. It's not for people that get a chapped ass over hairy deathclaws or Beastlords or Vault 0. It's for people that like squad based combat in the Fallout universe. With Xconns Ultimate Ripoff mod it even has a fucking open world on top of the vanilla game. New locations. New quests. New characters.

NOBODY PLAYS IT. Because people parrot the same nonsense you just did. The game had issues. Sure. It was rushed just like Fallout 2. That does not mean it cannot be enjoyed now with one of those bug fix mods (they do fix bugs) or one of the overhauls like The Sum. People like you (no offense really) are why the game never got love. Your hyperbole is bullshit. Fallout 3 crashed so many fucking times on my PC I never even beat it on that platform. Tactics did not.

Hey did any of you guys ever play the first two Fallout games before they patched them? Good times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not even defending Fallout 3. Where did that come from? I know Fallout 3 is shit, but so is Tactics... It's not a good game. It has its own enjoyment value, but the amount of bugs and errors, or some of the features that don't make much sense(like how the enemy can immediately react fire at you, making the ambushing pointless) are so big that it almost covers that enjoyment value, making it intolerable.

They did try the new things, I do agree. That's something the developers should be credited for. But the game itself? Nah, it's bad.

Heck, I never even played Fallout 3 myself.
I think you should really consider playing Fallout 3, 4, and 76 so that you learn what a bad Fallout game feels like.

Fallout: Tactics is not a bad game. I didn't encounter many bugs on my first playthrough except for the awkward overworld encounters thing, which is less of a bug and more of a side effect of technology advancing beyond 2001.

Fallout: Tactics does some silly things, yeah. It's not really a CRPG, yeah. But it has been overlooked in how versatile a modding engine it could be. Many mods have already been created on it that turn it back into an RPG or at the very least free up gameplay beyond pure tactical play. Compare that to the fact that although it's a 21 year old game and extremely beloved, Fallout 2 only has five completed total conversions under its belts that really only create new stories and do some QoL to make it more playable. four of these five were developed by non-English speakers, by the way, and all of them were only completed in the middle of last decade.

The talented Hugo Nadeau has completely revamped the F:Tactics engine into a survival game with a fascinating story and concept, to boot. Gunnerofshi and RobertHouse made a mod where you could pilot vertibirds and participate in limited basebuilding, it's a shame they lost the work they did to build on that.

I think you should really consider playing Fallout 3, 4, and 76 so that you learn what a bad Fallout game feels like.
I don't see any reason to. I already know those games are bad, and why they're bad. Why do I have to bother myself for playing them? To torture myself?

I didn't encounter many bugs on my first playthrough except for the awkward overworld encounters thing, which is less of a bug and more of a side effect of technology advancing beyond 2001.
Here's a thing; a lot of bugs are the ones that you'd not really aware that they exist until you deliberately try to find one of them, or look up for any information online.

You could have gone for whole life without seeing your squad member's getting permanent skill boost/losses until you accidentally order him to get into vehicle in crouch/prone position.
You'll have no idea whether if Dyson is bugged or not unless you specifically look into the map editor and find out there was an error with the script in 3rd mission which prevented him from appearing later at Bunker Beta.
You notice the super mutants with Browning M2 are tearing your squad apart from miles away, but you'd probably think "Man, those guys are deadly accurate" without even realizing the burst fire in Tactics is bugged and it can hit everything behind the target that practically has no chance to hit.

The game is filled with these things; a bug that you will most likely not notice unless you look deeply in to the matter. No game can be freed from bugs if you look this deeply, but even with such consideration, Tactics is way below average expectation of being polished.

it has been overlooked in how versatile a modding engine it could be.
I'm trying to state that the core game itself is bad. You may be able to bump up its quality with some modding, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a poorly developed game.

I'm not even defending Fallout 3. Where did that come from? I know Fallout 3 is shit, but so is Tactics... It's not a good game. It has its own enjoyment value, but the amount of bugs and errors, or some of the features that don't make much sense(like how the enemy can immediately react fire at you, making the ambushing pointless) are so big that it almost covers that enjoyment value, making it intolerable.

They did try the new things, I do agree. That's something the developers should be credited for. But the game itself? Nah, it's bad.

My point in doing this whole thing is to promote Tactics over Fallout 3. Plenty of Bethesda fanboys will blow hot loads over Fallout 3, but they will frown at Tactics for multiple reasons.

I don't see any reason to. I already know those games are bad, and why they're bad. Why do I have to bother myself for playing them? To torture myself?

Here's a thing; a lot of bugs are the ones that you'd not really aware that they exist until you deliberately try to find one of them, or look up for any information online.

You could have gone for whole life without seeing your squad member's getting permanent skill boost/losses until you accidentally order him to get into vehicle in crouch/prone position.
You'll have no idea whether if Dyson is bugged or not unless you specifically look into the map editor and find out there was an error with the script in 3rd mission which prevented him from appearing later at Bunker Beta.
You notice the super mutants with Browning M2 are tearing your squad apart from miles away, but you'd probably think "Man, those guys are deadly accurate" without even realizing the burst fire in Tactics is bugged and it can hit everything behind the target that practically has no chance to hit.

The game is filled with these things; a bug that you will most likely not notice unless you look deeply in to the matter. No game can be freed from bugs if you look this deeply, but even with such consideration, Tactics is way below average expectation of being polished.

I'm trying to state that the core game itself is bad. You may be able to bump up its quality with some modding, but it doesn't change the fact that it was a poorly developed game.

This is more like it. That burst fire bug is another issue I could not recall. Those really do seem to be the main ones and I do think (I can't recall where) they have been addressed elsewhere in some mod or bug fix which is why I made this thread in the first place. I know some of those annoying things have been brought up in some mod thread. Hopefully some of the mod authors will pop in.

Back