Bethesda Vs. Black Isle: Sex, Brats, And Addiction

Leon said:
Ausdoerrt said:
I can't believe all the people who find the humour in FO3 funny.
I can't believe all the people who find humor in FO3.

Oh I had to laugh, but not at the attempts at humor but rather when the game decided to become creative by launching people for no apparent reason into the air, or make them drop dead without any cause.

same, i found more humor where there was not intended to be humor than when it was.

in my playthrough i tried finding the 2nd gunshop guy in rivet city. couldnt find him at ALL. waited days and he never showed up in his shop. so i explore and i eventually find him standing in a room in a corner facing the wall blair witch project style.

i laughed so hard.

Care to say which room? I'm trying to find one of them ever since I sold the other one into slavery but the bugger hasn't shown up for work for the past week.

i had to look around, he was in one of the side rooms. dont remmeber which.

i think the AI lost its tie to him or something.

Leon said:

Even if you find shit like slow motion hilarious, how can it be hilarious after killing more than, say, five enemies? Moira just made me rage.

Leon said:
Ausdoerrt said:

Well, I did see some attempts. Or maybe the people who translated the script for the Russian version tried to add some jokes :?

Ausdoerrt said:
Well, I did see some attempts. Or maybe the people who translated the script for the Russian version tried to add some jokes :?

I have a Slavic friend who happened to play the Russian translation of Fallout 2 before he had a chance to buy it in its original language. He told me that the original text was so unrecognizable it felt like playing a different game. With this in mind, I wouldn't rule your conjecture out. I mean, your average English-Russian interpreter has got to have better writing skills than this guy, hasn't he?

Monkey-typing.jpg

That would be rather sad, really.
The translators have better writing skills then the actual writers of Bethesda has.

They really are monkeys with typewrites. Nothing else can explain that dialogue the game has:
"have you seen my dad, a middle aged guy ?"
:facepalm:

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be more helpful if the player has a picture of Dad on his or her Pipboy to show people?

Hey, I could do a reverse mackre! Quick, I need Bethesda to hire me for the Japanese localisation. I could rewrite the entire plot to something not shit and they'd be none the wiser!

Eh. Methinks the ESRB is way too hard on violence to kids and sex. I give Bethesda a pass on both (despite enjoying Fallout 1 and 2). I don't find the drugs substantially different than 1 and 2.

Ranne said:
Ausdoerrt said:

I have a Slavic friend who happened to play the Russian translation of Fallout 2 before he had a chance to buy it in its original language. He told me that the original text was so unrecognizable it felt like playing a different game. With this in mind, I wouldn't rule your conjecture out. I mean, your average English-Russian interpreter has got to have better writing skills than this guy, hasn't he?

Monkey-typing.jpg

Hmm, really depends, I guess. but they're normally not bad (unless it's a pirated release made with an automatic translator ^___^)

Way better English -> Russian than Russian -> English, in any case.

Alphadrop said:
Care to say which room? I'm trying to find one of them ever since I sold the other one into slavery but the bugger hasn't shown up for work for the past week.

i've heard shrapnel will hang out around paradise city crying about flak being sold into slavery.

Ranne said:
Leon said:
Ausdoerrt said:

Well, "Welcome to Megaton. The bomb is perfectly safe, we promise." did make me smirk. It also made me uninstall the game 3 minutes after. :shrug:

If you actually did un-install the game at that point then you have no right to criticise a game you never really played.

Yazman said:
Ranne said:
Leon said:
Ausdoerrt said:

Well, "Welcome to Megaton. The bomb is perfectly safe, we promise." did make me smirk. It also made me uninstall the game 3 minutes after. :shrug:

If you actually did un-install the game at that point then you have no right to criticise a game you never really played.

Did you stick your hand in a fire to find out it's hot or just have to place it close? At what point is it alright to mention flaws?

I'd rather point out something I see as a flaw & be wrong then stay silent and hope Bethsoft reads my mind. Lucky for me most of concerns were already mentioned by others so I could just lurk.

Now that Fallout 3 is out it's extremely unlikely that we will see gameplay like Fallout 2 or the odd humour in Fallout 1 added to Fallout 3. But so many of the fans of Bethsoft said we couldn't complain before it was released so what are we suppose to do? Sit and bask in the 'glory' that is gaming today even when we don't enjoy it?

Yazman said:
Well, I did take a closer second look (strictly for evaluating its modding potential) at most of the game's key locations - and, thus, at some of their content - with the help of the console's cell teleport command. Unsurprisingly, the game is all it appears to be from its very beginning. Nothing more, nothing le... Er, let's not embellish things. The humor stays bad, the gameplay mechanics stay defective, the writing continues to be as painfully dull and ludicrous as it was at the game's start, but the already crappy looking visuals only seem to get worse with every new dungeon.

Which leads me to my main point: when one bumps into something that looks and smells like a pile of crap, does one really have to taste it in order to be reasonably sure in its fecal authenticity? The thing resembles a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like one. I think it's save for me to say that it's not a goddamn flamingo.

Honestly, neither Fallout 1 or 2 ever struck me as humorous. There was the odd moment where I smirked, Butch comes to mind, but nothing I'd genuinely call funny.
I'd say, and don't crucify me for this, Beth's humor in Fallout 3 is on par with that found in Fallout 1 and 2.

Keegah said:
Honestly, neither Fallout 1 or 2 ever struck me as humorous. There was the odd moment where I smirked, Butch comes to mind, but nothing I'd genuinely call funny.
I'd say, and don't crucify me for this, Beth's humor in Fallout 3 is on par with that found in Fallout 1 and 2.

Everyone's sense of humour is different. I'd say the style of humour is quite different in all 3 Fallouts. Fallout 1 had a dark tone that was subtle for the most, but in places you had to either laugh or cry.

Fallout 2 was more obvious about it's humour and played on what the Player knew about the Real World. An example being the Monty Python references.

Fallout 3 seems like the Developers wanted everyone to get their jokes and as a result made them stand out from the game.

In Fallout 1 & 2 I always looked at whatever random objects I could, you never know where they might hide another joke...

I loved the random event based on the forum bit from Fallout 2 though :D

I did the same, but things like "If the mechanic of the year suddenly appeared next to you both of you couldn't possibly repair this piece of junk" (or something along those lines) doesn't seem that funny. In fact, it's pretty juvenile humor.

Back