Brother None counts down his favourite games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arr0nax said:
Yet it's not very hardcore in this sense. You are forced to mess with some TbT combat, and spellbooks, but the emphasis being on story and dialogues, I think it's fairly appreciable without being a DnD fan.

Sounds like Final Fantasy without some plucky Spikey haired Kid who saves the world....

Brother None said:
But one of my personal favourites is the way the game plays around with death. Not only is it a non-factor in combat, both for you and your followers (who you can just resurrect),

If you find a specific NPC in the game and it's possible to talk to her and still miss the trigger to receive resurrect spells. Probably one of the biggest oversights in the game.

It's not an oversight; there's a plenty of such things in the game - it forces the people to think instead of holding their hand all the time. There's always an option of paying lots of money for resurrection.

The list has now entered the inevitable pre-Mafia stage of its life cycle. It will lie dormant for 20 months, then Mafia will be posted as the next game, then, following immemorial instincts, it will go where lists go to die.

Brother None said:
I'll give A Mind and Leather Godesses both a try.
I admire your dedication if you do. I can easily understand how you could react negatively to the IF style (especially the old limited z-machine games from the 1980s) if you weren't used to it.

The manual for A Mind Forever Voyaging, for example, asks you to read a somewhat lengthy short story before you even start playing.

I also looked at the Leather Goddesses comic book. It's called The Adventures of Lane Mastadon, #91. On the bottom of the cover is a splash that says, "Manual Included!"

I can see an interesting trend:

bnone.jpg

Guess the three first places will be left for games that have not been published yet. :P

Hey BN, just lurking here, stealing your news for a Polish Fallout/PA website (which celebrated its tenth anniversary last week btw) and checking if you have updated your list. A very good list, I must add, and by good I mean most of the games would be on my list too. :P Especially choosing Diablo over its sequel and presence of Rick Dangerous were nice. Although interesting game descriptions you provide may also have some impact on how do I perceive the list. ;)

Interesting reading, though I simply don't understand why Rick Dangerous (FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-), GTA: Vice City and Earthworm Jim (as entertaining as they were) are on your list, no matter how well you explain it...

I'd do a favorites list if I thought anyone gave two shits. Where I'd post it I haven't a clue. This thread's sorta like a "who I am and what I believe", but it's about video games, not moral/ethical standpoints and political dreck. Which is to say, it's not as fun because it's nowhere near as trollable, but it IS more intellectually palatable and tells me just how much of a loon you are for picking some of these games (and omitting a number of others).

8/10, would read again if I were desperate enough.

Favourite doesn't mean best. There are plenty of decent to mediocre games that I enjoyed more than good ones. Depth does not always equate to 'fun' even when you can appreciate its intricacy, Pathologic being good example of this.

TychoTheItinerant said:
Interesting reading, though I simply don't understand why Rick Dangerous (FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-), GTA: Vice City and Earthworm Jim (as entertaining as they were) are on your list, no matter how well you explain it...

I'd do a favorites list if I thought anyone gave two shits. Where I'd post it I haven't a clue. This thread's sorta like a "who I am and what I believe", but it's about video games, not moral/ethical standpoints and political dreck. Which is to say, it's not as fun because it's nowhere near as trollable, but it IS more intellectually palatable and tells me just how much of a loon you are for picking some of these games (and omitting a number of others).

8/10, would read again if I were desperate enough.

What?! Earthworm Jim pwnd sir... You're probably one of those wierdo's from Kent... :? We all know those people have no taste in video games.

Maphusio said:
What?! Earthworm Jim pwnd sir... You're probably one of those wierdo's from Kent... :? We all know those people have no taste in video games.

It was a fun game. EWJ2 was fun too, though the difficulty got downright stupid-hard at some points in the game. I think Super Metroid and Cave Story were better (both on merits as great platformers and as just plain fun/challenging games), that IS just my opinion however.

And I'm not a "weirdo from Kent", I'm from the South Sound Area, near Olympia.

TychoTheItinerant said:
It was a fun game. EWJ2 was fun too, though the difficulty got downright stupid-hard at some points in the game. I think Super Metroid and Cave Story were better (both on merits as great platformers and as just plain fun/challenging games), that IS just my opinion however.
I'm guessing that you prefer games without levels (like Super Metroid and Cave Story) to games with levels (like Earthworm Jim)?

Super Metroid is overrated, I beat it for the first time earlier this year and was underwhelmed. I'm not saying that it's a bad game, just that it's fairly middle of the road. The gameplay isn't consistently interesting enough for me to really enjoy but it's leaps and bounds over Metroid, which I'd say has problems which render the game simply not fun.

It's been more than a decade since I last put any time into Earthworm Jim so I'll have to replay it to know for sure but I remember it offering a very solid experience.

alec said:
This thread needs an update.

BN: make it happen.

Can't. Still haven't even started replaying #5, and I really don't want to write on it dry.

And right now I'm playing Sanitarium for the Codex Let's Play. Like any adventure games, love the story, hate the gameplay. Like Secret of Monkey Island, it'd probably slot in somewhere in the huge clusterfuck of "basically equal" games that go from 30 to somewhere like 11 and that you could shuffle at any time, though I haven't hit the parts yet that purportedly suck.

So, uh, don't expect an update...this year?

Brother None said:
alec said:
This thread needs an update.

BN: make it happen.

Can't. Still haven't even started replaying #5, and I really don't want to write on it dry.

Bah! Get on it, as sad as it is I check this sub-forum at least once a day just to see if an update has been made. Not entirely sure why but it has me hooked.

Professor Danger! said:
Seriously, are you replaying every single game on your list?

I gave most of these a once-over before posting on it, a few hours time or more or less, some I didn't need to replay to write on because I played 'em enough recently (the Troika games, Diablo).

But I won't get around to playing or writing on #5 until next year. I know I'm breaking the thread's flow, sorry, sucks, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back