CD-Action Fallout 3 preview

If you think "Fallout 3 is not Fallout anymore", remember the conversation with NPCs in the previous games, which were always presented face-to-face. I dare say that only because of technical limitations Fallout didn't use FPP from the beginning. There is no better way of quickly identifying with the character you roleplay than looking through their eyes, from their perspective...
That's fucking pathetic. But it wasn't unexpected - as I said CDA isn't a reliable source of information.

quietfanatic said:
Old info (except for potential screens), horrible interpretation. I thought Poles were supposed to be mad Fallout fans?
That's a common misconception - I used to frequent a polish Fallout community and most of it's members were ignorant apologists.

Can you?

Brother None said:
Ausir kindly translated a few excerpts of the Fallout 3 preview of the Polish magazine CD Action[/b]

Right, and for what reason should I think that's a bad translation, hmm?
Because I should trust Bethesda they wouldn't do another idiocy along with the others so far?

Yeah, good reason. Really.

frosty_theaussie said:
Does it really matter? A fan-translation of a foreign correspondant's report isn't the best source to get riled over. It's really just a trivial matter and not credible, either.

A dog called Dogmeat is in the game. This has been a public secret for months now. Pay attention.

frosty_theaussie said:
A fan-translation of a foreign correspondant's report isn't the best source to get riled over. It's really just a trivial matter and not credible, either.

Um, why? The magazine is presumably real. It's a translation by a well-known community member fluent in Polish and English. Do you think he would lie about what the magazine says or that he would be likely to accidentally add or detract information as he translates?

Re: CD Action Fallout 3 preview

I dare say that only because of technical limitations Fallout didn't use FPP from the beginning. There is no better way of quickly identifying with the character you roleplay than looking through their eyes, from their perspective...

How many good 1st person view CRPGs are there? Two (Vampire:Bloodlines and Daggerfall). Compare that to much higher number of quality CRPGs with isometric perspective (not to mention a little game called Fallout) and you have to wonder if this guy is getting paid by Bethesda or he simply has "stupid spirits". Apparently, reading comprehension is not a prerequisite for journalism related to gaming film, otherwise reading no more than one interview with any of the original creators of Fallout would preclude them from polluting the paper with Bethesda marketing bullshit FP=roleplay.
As for technical limitations, FPP games from late 90s (Daggerfall) are infinitely closer to FPP games of today (like Fallout 3) compared to the difference betwen today's FPP games and reality. Using any graphic aspect as an argument for character identification in an RPG is invalid.

Somehow I feel sorry for every Fallout fan out there just because CD-Action is in my country... *sigh*
And to think that Gem (person who wrote this article) is another 'big Fallout fan' -,-
Anyway, I talked about this article on their forum and it turned out to be even more pathetic... Sad, huh?

Anyone thinking Oblivion is an example of a game where you can identify with a character (or anyone thinking Oblivion is a RPG), and I suspect that the author belongs to that special group, should be made to drink toilet water.

Brother None said:
As Pete Hines said: "We have no intention of removing elements that made Fallout well... Fallout". Let's take, for example, the system of radiation and using drugs - one of the screenshots shows effects of an overdose, maybe a side effect of taking a superstimpack. The sphere of sexuality will most likely be similarly treated.

prostetution's in?

Autoduel76 said:
Brother None said:
As Pete Hines said: "We have no intention of removing elements that made Fallout well... Fallout". Let's take, for example, the system of radiation and using drugs - one of the screenshots shows effects of an overdose, maybe a side effect of taking a superstimpack. The sphere of sexuality will most likely be similarly treated.

prostetution's in?

That's just an assumption by a hack journalist.
In any case, Pete Hines is a lying liar who lies. That very quote is a total lie.

Also, I'd rather not have prostitution around just so Todd can say "LOOK! TEH SPIRAT OF FALLOUT LOL!!!1eleven"

NukaColaClassic said:
Guys, you're taking the Dogmeat situation a little too far. It's a Dogmeat-like character, it's not confirmed that it's a damn descendant! And I'm pretty sure it won't be a descendant.

Yeah, it's a dog NPC, that they've called Dogmeat as a nod to the old character. I like it, a bit of nostalgia on a sometimes too "next gen" game.

Briosafreak said:
NukaColaClassic said:
Guys, you're taking the Dogmeat situation a little too far. It's a Dogmeat-like character, it's not confirmed that it's a damn descendant! And I'm pretty sure it won't be a descendant.

Yeah, it's a dog NPC, that they've called Dogmeat as a nod to the old character. I like it, a bit of nostalgia on a sometimes too "next gen" game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but dogmeat wasn't ever really "introduced" as dogmeat in Fallout 1 anyway, was he?

You just take him off that guys hands and the only reason you know he's called dogmeat is by mousing over him and reading combat descriptions.

Its not as if he's "officially" named dogmeat, it's just what this dog is called in Fallout.

I imagine it would be the same in Fallout 3. Find a dog. Dog's called "dogmeat". I don't see how it's a problem.

Autoduel76 said:
Its not as if he's "officially" named dogmeat, it's just what this dog is called in Fallout.

The Fallout 2 manual intro should be canon, though.

Autoduel76 said:
I don't see how it's a problem.
It is. Importing a random feature from the prequels for the sake of importing only or shutting the mouths of the fans, still making the sequel which diverges from the prequels a few parsecs away looks problematic to me.

well in F02 you could get a dog called Laddie and one called Dogmeat and one called K-9 and one called robodog and even the unnamed pariah dog.

I have a feeling the naming actually did mean something considering the fact that they had many dogs with many names.

Does any of that change the fact that they should NOT have an NPC named dogmeat, who happens to be a dog, but exists years after the original one died, and lives on the complete other side of the destroyed country who's central states were described as a "Radioactive dustbowl"?

It's asinine to suggest that this wasn't just a bone that bethesda is throwing at us to shut us up.

It's a nice bone though, I'm looking forward to meet the mutt. There are other things that are much more important for us to whine.

I'd much rather they threw us a bone that was worth something other than a hint of nostalgia.

something like staying true to the canon, or making the game true to the atmosphere, or putting in humor that isn't reminiscent of BOS and chock full of "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK", or eyeball shots which were the most effective aimed shot in the games against a variety of creatures...

I could go on for some time listing possible bones that bethesda could throw us that would actually mean something to me, and that would make the gameplay a bit more like a Fallout game.

Sometimes it hurts just to think of the tons of awesome features that they ripped out of the fallout universe, that no other game franchise ever did so well..

Briosafreak said:
It's a nice bone though, I'm looking forward to meet the mutt. There are other things that are much more important for us to whine.

The "problem" is if they're going to try to use this as an indication that they're staying true to Fallout, as a part of the hype. Like I said, I don't mind, but I don't care either, as long as it is not used for PR

Pete Hines said:
"We have no intention of removing elements that made Fallout well... Fallout". Let's take, for example, the system of radiation and using drugs - one of the screenshots shows effects of an overdose, maybe a side effect of taking a superstimpack.
nah, just dump the perspective, half the setting, use the wrong kind of humour, make it a lot more linear, etc etc. :clap:

SuAside said:
Pete Hines said:
"We have no intention of removing elements that made Fallout well... Fallout". Let's take, for example, the system of radiation and using drugs - one of the screenshots shows effects of an overdose, maybe a side effect of taking a superstimpack.
nah, just dump the perspective, half the setting, use the wrong kind of humour, make it a lot more linear, etc etc. :clap:

Pete Hines, ever the master of double-talk, is clearly speaking the truth for once.
They have no intention of removing anything that makes Fallout Fallout. Because they already did, long long ago. What's left? Vault Boy? LOL violence? Nope, won't be removing that! No siree! :roll:

Back