CD-Action Fallout 3 preview

Are they saying the only reason it wasn't an FPS was that it didn't have the technology or that the original would have played the same but in a first person view?

Either way I must be missing something.

Joe Kremlin said:
Are they saying the only reason it wasn't an FPS was that it didn't have the technology or that the original would have played the same but in a first person view?

Either way I must be missing something.

The argument used by many including Bethesda is that first-person is more immersive (because as we all know, opinion = fact). Therefore Fallout would've been first person if the technology existed, but it didn't. But now it does!
Inconvenient facts such as FPP being around before isometric are ignored every time.

Vault 69er said:
The argument used by many including Bethesda is that first-person is more immersive (because as we all know, opinion = fact). Therefore Fallout would've been first person if the technology existed, but it didn't. But now it does!
Inconvenient facts such as FPP being around before isometric are ignored every time.

Actually, they say that it even if there were FPP games, then Fallout wasn't FPP because back then FPP didn't look so good... Duh!

quietfanatic said:
I thought Poles were supposed to be mad Fallout fans?

No one ever said that all of us are :) I haven't read this magazine for few years but form what I remeber this guy is more like racing games fan... No wonder he doesn't have anything against replacing turns with "real action".

Sorrow said:
I used to frequent a polish Fallout community and most of it's members were ignorant apologists.

This is not an excuse :D

BTW, at Polish science fiction conventions I ended up defending Fallout 3 because most people there were negative about Fallout 3 (which is good) but for bad reasons (e.g. because the lack of SPECIAL even though SPECIAL is in).

It's not the defending Fallout 3. It's refining arguments against Fallout 3 :P .

Ausir kindly translated a few excerpts of the Fallout 3 preview of the Polish magazine CD Action:<blockquote>It's clearly visible that Fallout 3 is in good hands. It's all because every element that made Fallout an extraordinary work was kept or rather recreated.
(...)
If you think "Fallout 3 is not Fallout anymore", remember the conversation with NPCs in the previous games, which were always presented face-to-face. I dare say that only because of technical limitations Fallout didn't use FPP from the beginning. There is no better way of quickly identifying with the character you roleplay than looking through their eyes, from their perspective...
(...)
Dogmeat or - more likely - one of his descendants is going to appear.
(...)
It's worth noting that you'll be able to spectacularly destroy most - if not all - elements of the environment.
(...)
As Pete Hines said: "We have no intention of removing elements that made Fallout well... Fallout". Let's take, for example, the system of radiation and using drugs - one of the screenshots shows effects of an overdose, maybe a side effect of taking a superstimpack. The sphere of sexuality will most likely be similarly treated.</blockquote>

I dare say that only because of technical limitations Fallout didn't use FPP from the beginning

Polish magazine CD Action is finally dying according to their site.
Justice has been served! :clap:

Justice has been served!
:grin:
I remember buying this issue back in 2007 for the info on F3 and I found the article rather silly, they made some stupid points like that, e.g. you can play this just like a turn-based game thanks to the VATS system. They also reviewed this game when it came out, rated it 8/10 and explained how it's just like the oldschool Fallout. The only thing they actually criticized was... the interface. Also, accidentally spoiled a major plot point in the review

Back