CDPR thank to you Gamers! - CDPR Apreciation thread

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by eissa, Jun 7, 2016.

1. eissa

eissa Altáriel, Lady of Radiant Garland

Jan 7, 2016
    A final "Thank you" card from CD Projekt Red

Goodbye CDPR, i'll wait for your Cyberpunk 2077. if the Great War dont take the head start first

2. Kohno

Kohno Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jul 30, 2009
    Here's some appreciation:

They need to get their shit together with Cyberpunk.

What ever praise Witcher 3 gets, it still feels like a crippled game. The visuals are nice, the sounds are nice, the storytelling element is nice... But the gameplay is boring as fuck. Samey combat grind through a ton of samey filler quests. Itemizationg is bonkers beyond belief through leveled gear and the "junk collector 2000" feature that is fast approaching Bethesda levels useless shit. The character system is weak and ineffective and with some weird decisions in the skillpoint allocation and progression. The minute to minute gameplay is simply boring and the game, despite its wealth of questing content, feels somewhat empty and definitely uninviting for another go of all the grind. A good thing is, that sometimes the quest grind is laced with a nice narrative, but in the long run... yeah.

The narrative carries it through, but with some severe hiccups if one is not into to the afore mentoined samey grind for about 80 hours. It's a highly overrated game; not Bethesda levels of shit, obviously, but it seems to get a lot of undue praise -- "undue" because, given how the game is, I just can't see where it's coming from and why.

Six and a fucking half slash ten. Still healthily above average for an action adventure, but... not up there with the best of them.

If Cyberpunk ends up as some sort of mix-breed Witcher meets GTA meets Sci-fi shooter "with some loose stats thrown in for show", if it turns out to become CDPR's proverbial Fallout 3 (remodeling their previous game), it's going to stay in the shelve until it's 90% off.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  3. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    I like how they treat their fanbase and i really liked the first two games (the first one more so). However i'm not able to play the 3d part because they kind of promised to have a linux version after the release, but they just went silent after that, even though there were a number of people with linux who bought the game because they thought it was going to have a port (not me of course, as i never buy new stuff, or preorder anything). So that seemed like a shitty thing to do and of course the nvidia "breakworks" stuff was a little downer too.

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  4. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    I finally started playing The Witcher 3 a few days ago (previous pc couldn't handle it), and for all the hype and praise, I am a little disappointed. I absolitely loved the first game when it came, and thought it would save pc rpg's, and I highly enjoyed the second. Both of those did suffer from crappy controls however, but 2 was a big step up from 1 and things were looking good. Story and setting made the games, however. And so far I am very impressed with the writing in 3 as well. Story is interesting, quests are fun and pretty varied, and characters are believable. But oh my god, the controls and combat are a mess. I did not expect it to be this bad.

Looting is a chore, since you have to stand in the exactly right spot, and have the camera facing the right way. Some containers simply can't be looted because you can't find that sweet spot. On top of that, they thought it was a great idea to put candles and shit on top of half the containers in the world, or next to them, so looting them is made even more challenging because of a poorly implemented gimmick. I like the idea of being able to light and extinguish torches, fireplaces and the likes, but they could have easily limited it. Things I actually want to light up because of dark environments are instead hard as fuck to reach becuase, just as with loot, you have to stand in the exact right spot.

If you move too close to an object, you can't loot it either. Trying to move further away may very well move you too far away, because of the wacky controls.

And the combat... I love the concepts, with all the different oils, potions, bombs, signs, etc. But it just doesn't flow well. It's often really hard to tell when enemies' attacks will connect, blocking is useless as it will hurt you and stun you, it seems completely random if your attacks will connect, or if continuing a combo will be worth it or not. It just doesn't feel coherent and well put together. Maybe I'm just so used to the Souls series, and the combat here is similar enough but still different enough that it hampers my ability to get into it.

But yeah, overall.. I want to love the game, and I am enjoying it so far, but as @Kohno said: it feels crippled. I love the world of The Witcher, I love the characters and setting. And they have some damn good writers. But the game feels very unpolished, and this late after release I am amazed that some of the huge glaring issues have not been dealt with.

Either way, I'm a fan of CDPR - they went from small and obscure to huge, and without compromises. Their dlc program is a breath of fresh air, they respect their fans. I look forward to Cyberpunk. But I hope they step it up.

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  5. eissa

Jan 7, 2016
    CD Projekt Red and Polish government launch €18m fund for 'innovative' games

http://www.develop-online.net/news/...-launch-18m-fund-for-innovative-games/0221403

6. Mr muggyman 3000

Mr muggyman 3000 Lover of coffe cups

May 3, 2016
    I personally love witcher 3 and can't wait for cyberpunk 2077

7. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    Honestly?

They make good games. They really do. They have good PR.

But their fanbase is unsufferable. Always talking about how they are paragons of virtue that can do no wrong. Cripes, just the whole ''16 free DLCs!'' thing was a bit lame. Most of it was skins, crappy armor sets or stuff like that. I think the actual content was 2 or 3 quests and NG+. Which is cool, don't get me wrong, but other games give just as much free DLC, if not more. Yet CDPR shouted their free DLCs on all the rooftops (with the fanbase more than following suit) if as it was some unheard of bout of superhuman generosity.

I also think that, while they are masters ae graphics and presentation, their gameplay is not very good. TW3 has worse combat than most Arkham-esque systems, which is made worse by that game being 100 hours long so if you are bored with attack-roll-Quen halfway through, the rest of the game is a bit of a slog.

I dislike using the term ''overrated''. But I do believe that CDPR gets loads of credit for things that other studios do, and sometimes do better, because they have good PR.

• [Like] [Like] x 2
  8. eissa

Jan 7, 2016
    i honestly dont care if the free dlc is deep in content or not. i just feel relieved that there is company that care for gaming quality and good policy. their price tags is always lower than most of AAA games today. price to content ratio are even better. could you count the other AAA games that have such?

blood and wine now is priced for US$19,99, that expansion have more content than all fallout 4 dlc combined for now.

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  9. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    They also own GOG.com and recently released their "GOG Connect" which they talk to developers and publishers and try to make them agree in letting players who own their games on Steam get those games free on GOG.com. It is up to the developers and publishers to accept if any of their games allows that, but the release of GOG Connect started with more than twenty games available for five days.

But still a "game selling" business that tries to give their products for free if the client already owns it from a different competitor is a nice move (even though I can see the benefits for the business from doing that too).

Sometimes CDPR seems too good to be true, and I find myself thinking if they are hiding something, or if I got so used to the "modern gaming business practice" that I just grew up cynical about it all. :confused:

10. eissa

Jan 7, 2016
    just once maybe, they tried to be worse than bethesda in term of copyright of their games. they sued pirates back when witcher 2 is release. maybe they realised its futile, but know that they didn't support piracy at all.

And, could you find any torrent right now that contain witcher 3? i dont think so, as they always ask DMCA to purge any.

11. Risewild

Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Yeah, that is quite true :aiee:.
    But at least after the backlash they stopped doing it :lmao:.
    Many companies used to do it when CDPR did it and some still continue to do it now.
    Since there were so many doing it back when CDPR was "caught" doing it, torrentfreak.com did an article about how they were not the only ones doing it and how the others still do it (the article was from 2012 so who knows if these companies still do it or not).
    Here are the companies mentioned in the article:
    • Atari
    • Koch Media for Techland and for themselves
    • DAEDALIC Entertainment for Lucas Arts and Eidos/Square Enix
    • Codemasters
    • BitComposer
    • Eidos/Square Enix/Warner
    • Ubisoft
    • Kalypso Media
    • dtp entertainment
    • Aerosoft
    What is worst is that the article ends with saying that this is only the tip of the iceberg:
    Link to the full article:
    https://torrentfreak.com/square-enix-eidos-other-game-giants-all-demand-cash-from-pirates-120115/

EDIT: I forgot to mention that GOG.com is giving System Shock 2 for free if you access their front page using Gog Galaxy and click the claim button. Just in case anyone is interested.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    • [Like] [Like] x 2
  12. Juza The Cloud

Juza The Cloud Nanto Goshasei

Jun 3, 2015
    • [Like] [Like] x 1
  13. AskWazzup

AskWazzup Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Aug 21, 2008
    Just found one in kickasstorrents with over 500 seeds and 1600 leeches. Also found a bunch of them in some private torrent sites that i used to have an account in.

14. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    I'm not saying they suck or anything. Value wise, few AAA titles can match them. But I also feel that they squeeze every ounce of good will out of their fanbase, which swallows all of their PR hook, line and sinker and makes them into demigods of gaming that can do little, if any wrong.

Oh, and I wouldn't take Bethesda as a benchmark for value DLCs. That said, of course both Blood and Wine and Hearts of Stone were great DLCs with loads of value while keeping the polished feel the main game had. Kudos to CDPR for that.

Albeit to be fair, they are based in Poland while selling a product (mostly) to European and American markets. Economically, that's a very sound model. I'm willing to bet the average CDPR employee is paid much less in zloty than the average Bioware, Obsidian or Bethesda employee is paid in US or Canadian dollar, while being no less skilled if not moreso, and selling their products on a very similar market. That, and the successful GoG platform definitely allows them to go all-out when funding TW3.

Not to say they don't deserve their success, they absolutely do. But when we speak of value, economical factors are important. All that development time costs money, after all.

15. Risewild

Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    Well I don't know about the economical factors, but on the CDPR recruitment page they say this:
    And on GOG.com they also say this:
    I have been digging around the Zenimax recruitment site for 27 minutes now and I can't find any information on what "perks" you get working for any of the Zenimax companies. So I can't say if this is better or worst than Zenimax, I wasted too much time on Zenimax so I didn't check other gaming companies, if anyone wants me to for some reason just say so and I will waste my time digging around :postviper:.

And now the mandatory links from where I got those quotes:
    http://en.cdprojektred.com/meet-the-rebels/
    http://en.cdprojektred.com/recruitment-process/
    https://www.gog.com/work#/art-graphic-designer

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  16. eissa

Jan 7, 2016
    this is just literally mojang studio after notch sell it to microsoft. a 1 billion dollar just to make the employee happy and well fed :P

• [Like] [Like] x 1
  17. Risewild

Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I found some reviews of working on Bethesda Softworks though:

• [Like] [Like] x 3
  18. eissa

Jan 7, 2016
    unsurpringly, just like what i deduce from most of fallout 4 feature. seems many of good idea were thrown, but none except few have good correlation with each other.

19. joevonzombie

joevonzombie Buried alive in Golgotha

Sep 28, 2015
    *peeks into the CDPR "Appreciation" thread. Finds a wall of bitching*

• [Like] [Like] x 4
  20. Kohno

Kohno Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jul 30, 2009
    The best way to appreciate here is to tell what went wrong.