Creetosis's Response to "Fallout 3 is better than you think" By MATN

Another Fallout video to watch as I sleep.

This is good.

I checked some of the counter arguments in that video and i can't believe manyatruenerd unironically used a lot of the arguments he used in his video. They are so nonsensical, biased, and completely moronic that just confirms my suspicion that he's a Bethesda shill.

Specially the one about the intro on how he tries to defend its linearity and how cramped it is by saying it will make the world seem much bigger when you get to it. You can make a world feel big without having an extremely linear, cramped intro like Fallout 3 has.

Last edited:
Fallout 3s intros biggest problem is it length rather than it's linearity. Still it would've been cool to be able to play escape sequence like a metal gear game. Stealth PCs get fucked I guess.

Fallout 3s intros biggest problem is it length rather than it's linearity. Still it would've been cool to be able to play escape sequence like a metal gear game. Stealth PCs get fucked I guess.

You mean you WANT to play a stealth character in your games?
Don't make Todd laugh, he can't control it.

Well if I may break character for a moment, it's nearly impossible to have a genuinely satsifying stealth experience if everything in the game isn't built around that

What the fuck is with these 2 hour long videos? I can't even watch a movie that long. Anyway, Fallout 3 came out in 2008, it seems weird to dig its poorly preserved corpse out of the grave to give it another review. It hasn't aged well and Fallout: New Vegas and probably even Fallout 4 make it look even worse by comparison. It was what it was, you could have scholarly and not-so-scholarly debates about whether it was/wasn't a good game but millions of people played and enjoy it (spawning a huge new fandom in the process) and no manner of objective reasoning will undo how much someone enjoys or remembers enjoying something. I can think of a lot of TV shows and movies from 10-20 years ago that were both inspiring and entertaining but were also objectively bad or poorly written, especially in hindsight. Like Fallout 3, I wouldn't rewatch them but I remember them fondly as good shows in the time and context which I watched them.

The thing about these "Fallout 3 is better than you think" and "Fallout 3 is worse than you think" videos is that both of them are largely for people who already played the games and already hold one of those two opinions. It is there only as a reference point for supporting arguments. Nobody is going to watch "Fallout is better than you think" who doesn't like Fallout 3 and change their mind. Nobody is going to watch "Fallout 3 is worse than you think" who already likes Fallout 3 and change their mind. As is often the case people defer to youtube to find someone saying the same things they already believe but with more views and who has done all the research to support an already strong confirmation bias.

You mean you WANT to play a stealth character in your games?
Don't make Todd laugh, he can't control it.

Isn't every build in Fallout a stealth archer?

Specially the one about the intro on how he tries to defend its linearity and how cramped it is by saying it will make the world seem much bigger when you get to it. You can make a world feel big without having an extremely linear, cramped intro like Fallout 3 has.

I liked the intro the first couple times but didn't they make it so you could skip the intro in a later patch or something? Or maybe I just kept re-using a save file from before exiting the vault (since it gets you to re-confirm all your choices). It's been a long time since I played. I wouldn't fault the intro for being cramped and linear because the setting was fairly cramped/linear. Some of the choices you made also did impact the game, such as whether you killed the overseer, whether you helped butch, etc.

I think this redigging of Fallout 3's corpse is more due to the fact that People are looking back at Bethesda and noticing a few harsh truths.

When HBomberGuy did it, it kind of started a domino effect, I'll say most of the videos seem to a response to that one.
We also look at old media with the knowledge of what we have today.
Back in 2008, Fallout 1+2 weren't as readily available as they were now. At least for those aged 13-20, who I would say were the main people playing F3. Fast forward 11 years, and those who once played it, have since had New Vegas, F4 and 76 released, many of whom may have gone back and played 1+2 and found that F3 doesn't really offer anything in the series.

Of course, 2008 was a very different time and the industry was very different. But it's good to look back on old media and look at what we liked about it/didn't like about it.

Those choices didn't mattered and hardly affected anything.

They have an affect when you return to Vault 101 :p I wasn't expecting huge, world changing decisions to happen in the tutorial area. Not to mention these people (except Butch) never actually leave the vault so the things you do in the outside world largely don't matter to them.

They have an affect when you return to Vault 101 :p
Butch literally forgets that you let his mother die if you allow that to happen when you return to the vault. That's how meaningless that choice is. Same for the overseer one.

The "choices" in the vault are a sampler on how choices are dealt in Fallout 3: they don't matter and don't affect anything. I mean, you can literally poison the water with the FEV on the order of John Eden, something that is supposed to be huge, but the game brushes it off like nothing matters.

Butch literally forgets that you let his mother die if you allow that to happen when you return to the vault. That's how meaningless that choice is. Same for the overseer one.

Not sure about the Butch choice, whether she dies affects whether she's there at the vault but I don't remember much else. The Overseer choice affects who the current overseer in the Vault 101 quest later in the game (he gets replaced with someone worse) along with how Amata treats you. Then that quest had 3 outcomes with either opening the vault, closing it or destroying it.

I mean, you can literally poison the water with the FEV on the order of John Eden, something that is supposed to be huge, but the game brushes it off like nothing matters.

It affects the Brotherhood of Steel DLC and some of the environmental dialogue/options but I don't think there were any specific quests based on the choice.

The Overseer choice affects who the current overseer in the Vault 101 quest later in the game (he gets replaced with someone worse) along with how Amata treats you. Then that quest had 3 outcomes with either opening the vault, closing it or destroying it.
You would think something as big as letting a vault open would mean people outside of the vault would comment on that, but not even that. Quests can have multiple outcomes but those don't matter if the world doesn't even have a passing comment on those events. That's how meaningless the whole Overseer quest is, the world doesn't acknowledge its existence and resolution.

It affects the Brotherhood of Steel DLC and some of the environmental dialogue/options but I don't think there were any specific quests based on the choice.
So it doesn't affect anything. Something as big as poisoning the water with FEV should automatically make you the enemy of BoS, but it doesn't. That's how pointless it is. Illusion of choice.

Both things get (somewhat poorly) explained in-game:
-Vault requires time to prepare and settle down after the riots. They send out couple of scouts (you can meet them in random encounter) to scout the neighboring communities and contact those that seem trustworthy

-BoS pushes most of it's forces (including scientist and engineering staff) towards fighting the Enclave. Purifier is operated by skeletal crew, that thinks that doesn't suspect at all that water was poisoned, instead thinking it's a temporary effect of a recent "almost complete meltdown" or whatever.

I agree with MATN's general message of "Fallout 3 succeeded at doing something good", though the most of his points are really FAR- fetched. You could propably condense the good points into a 15 minutes long essay.

What the fuck is with these 2 hour long videos? I can't even watch a movie that long. Anyway, Fallout 3 came out in 2008, it seems weird to dig its poorly preserved corpse out of the grave to give it another review. It hasn't aged well and Fallout: New Vegas and probably even Fallout 4 make it look even worse by comparison. It was what it was, you could have scholarly and not-so-scholarly debates about whether it was/wasn't a good game but millions of people played and enjoy it (spawning a huge new fandom in the process) and no manner of objective reasoning will undo how much someone enjoys or remembers enjoying something. I can think of a lot of TV shows and movies from 10-20 years ago that were both inspiring and entertaining but were also objectively bad or poorly written, especially in hindsight. Like Fallout 3, I wouldn't rewatch them but I remember them fondly as good shows in the time and context which I watched them.

The thing about these "Fallout 3 is better than you think" and "Fallout 3 is worse than you think" videos is that both of them are largely for people who already played the games and already hold one of those two opinions. It is there only as a reference point for supporting arguments. Nobody is going to watch "Fallout is better than you think" who doesn't like Fallout 3 and change their mind. Nobody is going to watch "Fallout 3 is worse than you think" who already likes Fallout 3 and change their mind. As is often the case people defer to youtube to find someone saying the same things they already believe but with more views and who has done all the research to support an already strong confirmation bias.

Isn't every build in Fallout a stealth archer?

I liked the intro the first couple times but didn't they make it so you could skip the intro in a later patch or something? Or maybe I just kept re-using a save file from before exiting the vault (since it gets you to re-confirm all your choices). It's been a long time since I played. I wouldn't fault the intro for being cramped and linear because the setting was fairly cramped/linear. Some of the choices you made also did impact the game, such as whether you killed the overseer, whether you helped butch, etc.

You can't watch a 2 hour movie? ..you missing out homie ..in this case its just someone sharing their opinion ..sometimes its short sometimes its long .. It dont matter how old a game is .. ...Dude you need to watch some 3 plus hour movies ..you missing out

Back