Do you think it's perfectly okay to dismiss Fallout 3...

Todd Howard's #1 Fan said:
Just the notion of skipping Fallout 3 is one of the most absurd things I've had the misfortune to read on these forums. It'd be like skipping The Two Towers before watching The Return of the King, with The Hobbit as Fallout, and FoTR as Fallout 2. I could only assume under this analogy spin-offs such as NV and Tactics would be elaborate LOTR fan fictions.

:rofl: Whose fake account is this? :lol:

Just the notion of skipping Fallout 3 is one of the most absurd things I've had the misfortune to read on these forums. It'd be like skipping The Two Towers before watching The Return of the King, with The Hobbit as Fallout, and FoTR as Fallout 2. I could only assume under this analogy spin-offs such as NV and Tactics would be elaborate LOTR fan fictions.

You know, I missed this guy.

[spoiler:1caa110edf]He's like the only good thing about NMA![/spoiler:1caa110edf]

The reason so many PC games run well on machines that are up to five years old, is that all games nowadays are developed with the Xbox 360's specs in mind, and then simply (more or less) ported to the PC format. The 360 runs on hardware developed back in 2005, and few functional upgrades have been added since. As usual when I play PC games, I can't help thinking how much better it would probably both look and behave, had it been made for the PC exclusively. Those days are more or less over, however. Even titles like Dragon Age: Origins, which Bioware boasted about being made for the PC first, and the console second - as a return to the good ol' cRPG days - was a half-lie, since it was still made to the graphical standards of the 360, and not the PC. The game looked and behaved like an ugly console port in the end, just like every other "RPG" we get these days.

:crazy:
It's like skipping Two Towers poorly written as fanfiction by some fangirl in love with Legolas. Boring shit made by someone who don't know a thing (and don't give a damn neither) about the Middleearth. Quite to contrary I've played all part since FO1 (except BOS) and only game which feels out of place is Bet's illbegotten F03. You do realize NV and even Tactics were made by creators of oryginal Fallout.

Requete said:

It's like skipping Two Towers poorly written as fanfiction by some fangirl in love with Legolas. Boring shit made by someone who don't know a thing (and don't give a damn neither) about the Middleearth. Quite to contrary I've played all part since FO1 (except BOS) and only game which feels out of place is Bet's illbegotten F03. You do realize NV and even Tactics were made by creators of oryginal Fallout.
He knows... consider him a mythological creature that turns to stone when in direct sunlight....

Actually ... its not that far away from the truth ... just letz say replace Lord of the Rings, with Fallout and ... George Lucas with Bethesda.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g81PoGKO0qA&feature=related[/youtube]

kaelef said:
You won't miss out on anything if you go straight to FONV simply because there's practically no continuity between the stories. Same world, different place and time.

That said, if you find you enjoy FONV, I'd go ahead and give FO3 a try. Unlike some people here, I think FO3 has its own charms and is a totally worthwhile experience. YMMV

i agree with that

(this is ganna get some flak) but if you forget that FO3 is actuly fallout then its not that bad a game, although my experience with shooters is very limited, i problebly spent more time playing fallout 1 and/or 2 than i did anyh of the shooter games i own
:)

Black Feather said:
What about Drakensang? As a german you propably know about it? Not that it was really great, but it can compete with FO3.
An rock engraved with "dialogue" can compete with F3. And yea Drakensang was ok. Very linear. But ok.

Look, Fallout 3 main storyline was not good, I know. But the rest is an excellent game, and many side stories were epic. You may not like it for being radical to the originals, I understand, but from going there to saying Fallout 3 is crap is just wrong.

Fallout 3 is the best fallout game up to date, period. This is not me saying, this is the overall consensus:

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/fallout/results?sort=score
http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=fallout&numrev=3&site=

However, I'm not going to start arguing if F3 is better than the classics or not, but it does have enough potential to allow such discussion. So dismissing as if it was garbage is simply a bad choice.

As to the TC, you can dismiss any fallout you want, as the storyline doesn't really follow a linearity, like it does with (for example) Mass Effect. However, you'll be missing out a lot of great momments on each one of them, Fallout 3 included.

gongos said:
Look, Fallout 3 main storyline was not good, I know. But the rest is an excellent game, and many side stories were epic. You may not like it for being radical to the originals, I understand, but from going there to saying Fallout 3 is crap is just wrong.

Fallout 3 is the best fallout game up to date, period. This is not me saying, this is the overall consensus:

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/fallout/results?sort=score
http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?search=fallout&numrev=3&site=

However, I'm not going to start arguing if F3 is better than the classics or not, but it does have enough potential to allow such discussion. So dismissing as if it was garbage is simply a bad choice.

As to the TC, you can dismiss any fallout you want, as the storyline doesn't really follow a linearity, like it does with (for example) Mass Effect. However, you'll be missing out a lot of great momments on each one of them, Fallout 3 included.

Comparing FO3 to FO1/2 is like comparing Call of Duty to Planescape Torment.

gongos said:

Side stories? Gigantic plotholes or two skeletons randomly stuffed together?
Sure you can fabricate like gazillion of different backstories to fill these blank spaces(which happen too often for my taste), but seriously? :roll:

But oh what the hell, there are people who prefer Batman & Robin over the Dark Knight too. :mrgreen:

gongos said:
Jesus christ do have to get over that AGAIN? I thought everyone would have heard it at least ONCE by now ...

You know numbers and salles do tell what about teh quality of a product ? Nothing. Did Fallout 1 sold masses compared to letz say Diablo 2 ? Maybe 300 000 games have been sold at that time (but thwas more then enough as one should remember inflation) while Diablo 2 maybe 1 Million copies. Not sure about the exact numbers but definetly more then Fallout 1. And yet no one has a doubt that Fallout 1 is some excelent RPG, remember for its time.

Comparing the numbers is like saying cause Britney is more popular then Bethooven ever was heir music is on the same level as his 9th simphony.

While people have a different taste which is something one should respect quality does NOT equal quanity. Fallout 3 could have sold 10 Million copies and it would still fall short as RPG for me. Even if it would have nothing to do with Fallout at all. I do agree that some quets in F3 are good. But they are not epic. And fairly standart in good RPGs. The rest was just some Sandbox game. And those make usualy not the best RPGs. Good games for exploration. But RPG qualities usualy suffer cause of that.

Threepwood said:

A bit exagerated, but yeah in way the analogy is valid. Call of Duty is an excellent game series btw, though they suffer from being short (if you don't like Multiplayer that is).

Black Feather said:
Fallout 3 is the best fallout game up to date

Stopped reading at this point. You know nothing about good RPG's, get out.

First of all, I never said it was a better RPG. I said a better GAME.

I'd actually like to discuss that subject about the concept of RPG, though on another topic for obvious reasons.

Also, I do not wish to leave. I'd appreciate some respect. And may I suggest not isolating yourself on thinking you know better. There is a reason why Fallout 3 was so well received, practically even better than the previous Fallouts. At least you have to admit it just ain't a crappy game.

Crni Vuk said:
gongos said:
Jesus christ do have to get over that AGAIN? I thought everyone would have heard it at least ONCE by now ...

You know numbers and salles do tell what about teh quality of a product ? Nothing. Did Fallout 1 sold masses compared to letz say Diablo 2 ? Maybe 300 000 games have been sold at that time (but thwas more then enough as one should remember inflation) while Diablo 2 maybe 1 Million copies. Not sure about the exact numbers but definetly more then Fallout 1. And yet no one has a doubt that Fallout 1 is some excelent RPG, remember for its time.

Comparing the numbers is like saying cause Britney is more popular then Bethooven ever was heir music is on the same level as his 9th simphony.

While people have a different taste which is something one should respect quality does NOT equal quanity. Fallout 3 could have sold 10 Million copies and it would still fall short as RPG for me. Even if it would have nothing to do with Fallout at all. I do agree that some quets in F3 are good. But they are not epic. And fairly standart in good RPGs. The rest was just some Sandbox game. And those make usualy not the best RPGs. Good games for exploration. But RPG qualities usualy suffer cause of that.

I'm sorry, but I haven't even mentioned sales. I'm talking about professional reviews, and not just a couple of them (which you could argue they are paid, but really not all of them, at this point is silly to say that).

And Diablo is an excellent game, and I'm not talking about sales. I'm talking about how powerful the game was, specially back at the days. This is of course Diablo 1, Diablo 2 was far hyped. Again, this other subject could use another topic. Gladly to discuss about it.

Avallach said:
gongos said:

Side stories? Gigantic plotholes or two skeletons randomly stuffed together?
Sure you can fabricate like gazillion of different backstories to fill these blank spaces(which happen too often for my taste), but seriously? :roll:

I'm talking about the fun on side missions or events. Funny things like Dave's Republic, the Ghoul(whose name I don't recall right now) that shoots his former boss in the head after you release him from his contract. The Pitt (awesome). Those are memorable moments, some funny, some intensive. They are, imho, great moments of a video game. And Fallout 3 has plenty of them around. As I said, main story, crap, I recognize that, but that's not exactly what the game is about, not even close.

Avallach said:
But oh what the hell, there are people who prefer Batman & Robin over the Dark Knight too. :mrgreen:

The thing is, the majority thinks The Dark Knight is a great movie and only few batman fans actually think it was crap. See where I'm going?
Cheap shot from my side, but just following your analogy.

gongos said:
Threepwood said:

A bit exagerated, but yeah in way the analogy is valid. Call of Duty is an excellent game series btw, though they suffer from being short (if you don't like Multiplayer that is).

Black Feather said:
Fallout 3 is the best fallout game up to date

Stopped reading at this point. You know nothing about good RPG's, get out.

First of all, I never said it was a better RPG. I said a better GAME.

I'd actually like to discuss that subject about the concept of RPG, though on another topic for obvious reasons.

Also, I do not wish to leave. I'd appreciate some respect. And may I suggest not isolating yourself on thinking you know better. There is a reason why Fallout 3 was so well received, practically even better than the previous Fallouts. At least you have to admit it just ain't a crappy game.

Crni Vuk said:
gongos said:

I'm sorry, but I haven't even mentioned sales. I'm talking about professional reviews, and not just a couple of them (which you could argue they are paid, but really not all of them, at this point is silly to say that).

And Diablo is an excellent game, and I'm not talking about sales. I'm talking about how powerful the game was, specially back at the days. This is of course Diablo 1, Diablo 2 was far hyped. Again, this other subject could use another topic. Gladly to discuss about it.

I don't agree with this guy, but being a jerk for him preferring a certain game, would make one as much of an idiot as gongos is being treated like.

I liked COD1,2, Finest Hour, and Modern Warfare I, the rest are fairly poor, (I have yet to play Black Ops).

Back