Does anyone hunt down the remnant to kill them?

T-72B

NCR tank commander
Until today I always either ignored the Remnants or enlisted them but I saw someone bring up that they always kill them and why. This made me realize that I always saw their kind old man/woman facade and forgot about all the horrible things they did in Fallout 2 and in the lore.

Now I'm thinking my older or more informed characters that follow the kind of morals seen in the modern world would probably betray them instead of recruit them. Even if you argued none of them personally took part in war crimes they did fight to prop up an organization that was actively promoting genocide and gene superiority. Every day they fought to defend an outpost, ferried troops to steal Vault 13's descendants, or fought the NCR was a day they were knowingly buying the scientist at the oil rig to build their ultimate serum.

Anyways my current character is young and immature and might not see this reasoning but I think future characters might kill the remnants provided I build them in such a way as I mentioned at the beginning. What are your thoughts?

Until today I always either ignored the Remnants or enlisted them but I saw someone bring up that they always kill them and why. This made me realize that I always saw their kind old man/woman facade and forgot about all the horrible things they did in Fallout 2 and in the lore.

Now I'm thinking my older or more informed characters that follow the kind of morals seen in the modern world would probably betray them instead of recruit them. Even if you argued none of them personally took part in war crimes they did fight to prop up an organization that was actively promoting genocide and gene superiority. Every day they fought to defend an outpost, ferried troops to steal Vault 13's descendants, or fought the NCR was a day they were knowingly buying the scientist at the oil rig to build their ultimate serum.

Anyways my current character is young and immature and might not see this reasoning but I think future characters might kill the remnants provided I build them in such a way as I mentioned at the beginning. What are your thoughts?

I never thought about it before really. The Enclave in 2 did kill people and kidnap them, but not en masse. The Enclave has been scattered for nearly 20-30 years (don't know the exact time of the NCR-Enclave war) so it's unlikely a young Courier would have first hand experience of the Enclave. An older Courier might know of them or even have fought them if they have previous NCR military experience.

I think though at the core of it so much time's passed, they've moved on (Orion's still bitter over it) and there's more pressing matters to deal with by the time the Courier meets them. That's just my take on it.

Would you shoot an elderly German for flying in troops?

Nah. But I did kill Orion in a playthrough or two.
While the game is easy enough to finish without enlisting their help I got goosebumps the first time I saw them fighting alongside the courier.

Not me. Many of them have moved on with some merely playing minor roles in the faction rather than being their masterminds. I wouldn't make a sweeping judgement of the Remnants (except for Orion but even he has his reasons for maintaining a form of loyalty to the Enclave).

An older person who remembers the Enclave's cruelty? They may have a grudge against them but even then, I would find it difficult to kill them. I certainly wouldn't kill a person who has turned their backs on their former lives and have tried to make new ones (especially those that have fully renounced their ways and sought atonement).

Plus they are among the toughest NPCs in the game so killing them would be hard.

unlike the BoS that i desroy in any way possible , some sort of revenge for sending me to the glow , i spare the remnants since they moved on and some of them share my hatered toward ncr so " the enemy of my enemy " ...

I think an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Basically, the Remnant aren't the people who murdered all of the Arryo tribals or the Sentient Deathclaws. They were just footsoldiers in the war and it's been decades.

Lol, yeah I definitely did this once or twice. Ah the beauty of roleplaying...

Edit: Whoops, this thread was old as sin... my mistake...

I don't think I've really considered doing it before. There actually aren't many named characters period in F:NV that I genuinely want to kill. Some just leave you no other choice.

The angle of killing the Remnants for the Enclave's wrongdoing in the past really rubs me the wrong way and I can't really put my finger on exactly why. I don't particularly approve of the hunting down and killing of former Enclave members by other factions in the years following FO2, either, come to think of it.

If I killed every Fallout character who had a "past" or did questionable things and moved on with their lives at least half the NPC's would be dead right off the bat, and then including The Courier, Joshua Graham, Mr. House, Christine, and pretty much every other major character, and that's just the people we know well enough to know what they did.

The Remnants are no longer a threat, they redeem themselves anyways.

Managed to convince them to join in my NCR character. Didn't interacted with them in my Legion and Mr. House characters. Still need to reach them with my Yes Man character.

Hey, T-72, I think we have already met on mojave express. Anyway, IT is true Enclave did horrible things. However, why should You blame them?

Heck, the leader of them, often questioned the orders and almost got martial Court because of that.

You should not blame soldiers for following orders.

I blame soldiers for following orders but we don't have any knowledge of them participating in atrocities.

Just being born in the Enclave.

Besides, most of the Enclave is dead. Who is left to kill?

Not sure I buy that.

It's entirely possible to hold someone accountable for following bad orders and still stay your hand against them.

I mean, You have got a point. But if You listen to remnants and their stories. You learn, they are still humans and were part of the Enclave, because they had no other choice. Moreno was extremely devoted, Johnson questioned orders almost all the time, Their pilot just loved to fly, Henry just wanted to solve issues for his own knowledge.

In history, there were plenty of monsters. Even in gamę itself remember massacre of Bitter Springer? Do You blame Boone for it? I dont

I mean, You have got a point. But if You listen to remnants and their stories. You learn, they are still humans and were part of the Enclave, because they had no other choice. Moreno was extremely devoted, Johnson questioned orders almost all the time, Their pilot just loved to fly, Henry just wanted to solve issues for his own knowledge.

In history, there were plenty of monsters. Even in gamę itself remember massacre of Bitter Springer? Do You blame Boone for it? I dont

Boone beats himself up enough for it. I mean, I blame him for it (in part), but I see no point in making his life miserable over it - he's been paid back in spades for what he did and he says as much to you.

To be fair to Boone, the Khans are dirty bastards sometimes and I'm not entirely sure I would have disobeyed the order to open fire myself. Really hard to say, I just hope I never end up in that kind of a situation to begin with. Boone's not a monster, regardless - the fact that he is so incredibly fucked up over Bitter Springs shows that there's some LG in there past the LN, so to speak.

Last edited:
I barely encounter the Remnants to begin with; and honestly the end battle sucks so much it's not even worth it IMO. But I wouldn't kill them.

Daisy
was a pilot who transported people.

Henry
wanted to medicine the mutations out of the wasteland rather than kill them.

Orion
is the most ornery and might had mowed down civilians, along with any other targets, but it's implied he didn't chase after the ones that ran.

Judah
was just a captain that gathered them all together at Navarro.

Johnson
is downright sympathetic.

And Arcade wasn't even born for the war.

I started killing them a while ago and now I always do. I roleplay as the Lone Wanderer so even though he is young (23 years old timeline-wise) they have had contact with them and blame them (unfairly) for James' death.

Basically, when it comes to the Enclave my character enters blind-white-fury mode and he just manipulates them to get access to their bunker as a possible outpost in the future on top of killing them as by this point I'm in the endgame where all DLCs are done and I've committed myself to taking over the world in the Yes Man route.

I once killed Arcade out of pure pragmatism along with them but I felt bad so I don't do that anymore. Not his fault he was born into a community of psychopaths.

Last edited:
Back