Fallout 2 mod EcCo Gameplay Overhaul (new version for RPU)

phobos2077

Vault Dweller
Modder
In short, this is a conservative gameplay overhaul.

Design goals:
  • make more skills useful, to make non-standard builds more viable (Barter, Throwing, Melee, Repair, etc.)
  • add a little more challenge to the combat, barter and other aspects of the game, without any "hardcore"
  • make most weapons and other items in the game have a purpose
  • keep things configurable and modular, so the players can tweak mod to their liking and mod authors can re-use parts of it in their own creations
  • attempt to fix balance issues introduced by RP (more "free" loot, much more EXP, etc.) as well as original game
  • stay true to the original game mechanics and design as much as possibly, always try to improve when possible, not reinvent

Main Highlights.

Combat
:
  • rebalanced weapons and adjusted their distribution to make most of them have good use cases
  • added a few new guns to "fill" certain voids, like .44 and 14 mm calibers having too short "life"
  • automatic weapons further diversified by varying bullet dispersion
  • ammo types matter with more to choose from and AP made useful thanks to improved damage formula
  • energy weapons made more effective against lesser armors, and laser weapons made more powerful
  • melee is more viable mid-game for player as well as NPCs thanks to new more powerful melee weapons, more move points and rebalanced stats
  • throwing weapons expanded and made more useful with critical chance bonus for blades, much deadlier grenades and new types to choose from
  • improved stats of several critters (like weak types of Deathclaws, large scorpions, etc.)
  • new stealth elements: blackjack and sneak attack
  • "fair" inventory management in combat - no cost to open, 2 AP per action, 4 AP to reload

Economy
:
  • prices in stores are affected stronger by Barter skill increases at lower levels and less at higher levels
  • selling prices now also depend on Barter skill (instead of always being at 100%)
  • some items vary in prices between towns, so you can trade for profit with enough skill
  • raise money by selling new types of monster parts or by doing several new quests (see details)
  • reduced and made harder to get some overpowered loot in several locations
  • ammo, drugs and weapon abundance from fallen foes reduced

Progression
:
  • several small adjustments to quest flow to integrate content from Restoration Project better into the game
  • some gangs made tougher (Metzger, Salvatore, Vault 15 raiders)
  • redesigned entrances to the Raiders hideout for more challenge and variety
  • reduced unbalanced EXP rewards for several quests
  • reduced experience when killing the same critter type many times

Crafting System
:
  • craft various items: weapons, ammo, drugs, armor
  • available via a new interface button or a via hotkey
  • unlock new items by finding crafting teachers across the game

Traps System
:
  • installable traps: "melee" type spike trap, bear trap that immobilizes enemies, explosive mine and sensor bomb
  • explosive traps are customized by arming them with any type of explosives or grenades
  • become a trapper by luring geckos and rats into your traps using food as bait!
New Quests:
  • a couple of random-encounter-based "Bounty Hunt" quests
  • a couple of fetch quests involving new monster/animal parts

For a detailed description of all features, see full readme. For change history, full change log.

Download Links:
GitHub releases (latest beta)

v0.6.2 (OUTDATED installer version for RP 2.3.3)
v0.2.1 (OUTDATED, old pre-installer version for RP 2.3)

Last edited:
If armor can be destroy or worn out, it would be more realistic.

:P

As for weapon, I'm not sure, a sharpened pole is easy to break, but a gun can be used for years, hmm.

Go for it phobos2077...I'm very much interested in the barter side of this mod, it would be nice to see the PC struggle a lot more in regards to making money...by the way you have about 120% in the gamble skill, and hit the tables you have a very good chance of succeeding in the vast majority of bets, that's the reward you get for a "useless" skill. So there will always be ways of making money in the game regardless of item prices.

If the player should struggle for money so much the entire game (not bad), then at least the price to get Sulik and Vic should be lowered. Having to pay for allies is already an outrageous concept, mainly Vic for 1000 coins. No slave is that valueable, specially a not-awesome guy; if he was like Cassidy, at least...

OR

A way to get Vic for free could be provided, a quest maybe. Just like Sulik is for free is we save that hunter dude in toxic caves.

Makenshi said:
A way to get Vic for free could be provided, a quest maybe. Just like Sulik is for free is we save that hunter dude in toxic caves.

Killing the slavers seems to work... :mrgreen:

In addition to tinkering with the barter skill you should lower the value of guns. Seems counter-intuitive but most (pretty much all) of what the player has to offer for the merchants is guns from enemies killed in random encounters. It doesn't matter what sort of penalties you put in bartering when a H&K CAWS sells for 4750$ (midgame) and a pulse pistol sells for 12000$(lategame).

2Not Lost Hope:

Is it says in first post I already did that, lowered the selling prices of ALL items, including weapons. Also, I tweaked prices of such items (returned them closer to default), that you normally wouldn't need to buy, but only sell (like golden necklace or fuzzy paining and gecko pelts of course) for exactly the reason of giving opportunity to make money early in game.

.Pixote. said:
Makenshi said:

Killing the slavers seems to work... :mrgreen:

It does... when I have Sulik+Cassidy and stuff like metal armor. Just Sulik and 10mm pistols won't do these days, and with mods making the game even harder it will become even thougher (tried Magnum's weapon mod? againt Tyler gang, it's either headshot or no damage at all)

phobos2077 said:
2Not Lost Hope:

Is it says in first post I already did that, lowered the selling prices of ALL items, including weapons. Also, I tweaked prices of such items (returned them closer to default), that you normally wouldn't need to buy, but only sell (like golden necklace or fuzzy paining and gecko pelts of course) for exactly the reason of giving opportunity to make money early in game.

Ah okay, I did click on the spoiler and read but guess I somehow missed that line. Also what you said seems like a good idea of not making the early game totally ridiculous, as even in the original game money isn't too common in the early on, seems you have to search every nook and cranny to get enough cash for two leather armors for you and Sulik.

I think I've found a solution to divide the economy and combat part of the mod.

Economy rebalance can be shipped with:
- altered version of Nirran's Barter mod
- a exe program that will automatically change all items in proto folder, altering prices ONLY (installing the "snapshot" of item prices of my mod). That will, however, require every single item .PRO file to be in ITEMS folder, rather than in MASTER.DAT...

how's the idea?

I would like to try out such a mod; I'd love to see more economic game balance - or even a way to adjust the balance to make it harder or easier, as one wishes - but starting with a baseline like you're working out.

To solve the gambling workaround, it could work a lot more like real gambling: the house always has an edge, except for games of skill (like blackjack or poker), where you can gain a slight edge. In other words, setting a cap on your odds of winning vs. losing that's closer to what "real" odds would be - Gambling skill > 100 would be needed to overcome the house advantage slightly, but only slightly (max, say, a few %). That way one can grind out the wins but still risks an unlucky streak, and in any case, it takes a lot of in-game time to make a living as a grinder.

To solve the guns-selling workaround, what about diminishing returns? Could you rig it so the merchants pay less per gun depending on how many of that kind of gun they already have in inventory? Merchant: "I already have twenty 10mm pistols; why would I want another one? Well, okay; you look desperate. How's ten caps sound?" :-) You could still sell guns, but at diminishing returns or have to travel farther (to find new merchants) to sell them. Kind of like the caravans and merchants really would have to do: finding new markets, moving goods out of the oversaturated markets.

HTH!

-m

p.s. That was all a one-shot rough draft of thoughts; please take them as ideas and not finished proposals. :cool: -m

I like the idea of splitting it up into economic/weapon balance modules. I like Weapons Redone too much to let it go, even though I prefer some of your changes. Particularly the low AP pistols.

If I could weigh in, I'd also suggest you increase the weight of all weapons and armours, and make ammo spawn in much lower stacks.

A food and water mod could solve many problems of hoarding items to sell them later to the merchands...then the dude has to keep more meat and water than weapons and ammo....

Just my two cents...

2memetics: Good idea about decreasing selling prices depending on amount of that weapon in store, but currently have no idea on how to make it happen.

2Lazlo: Weapons redone is what this mod was based on in the first place, so maybe you check out the changes in the first post and see things the way I do?

About ammo in lower stacks - already done.

2smilodom: Food&water mod would be perfect! Just have to wait and see if some good people will create one :-)

I have given a great rethinking about stats of some weapons, ammo and prices. Better check the first post details.

Also, as the playtesting continues, I'm close to release of full-featured mod. I think, at first, it will be a simple zip-archive. All features at once, and only installable on Restoration Project 2.x game.
Later I may create an installer with separate options of economy, ammo & weapons changes.

Edit:
Town reputation NOW affects prices in all stores!

What is fallout extreme?

ETA I think one RL week ;)

Rewritten the barter formula AGAIN, now you can choose (via ini file) from formula as described in first post and the vanilla price with multipliers (more info in barter.ini). This way you can expect almost the same balance in prices, and also barter_mod is considered, which set in scripts. For example: Renesco in New Reno. If you persuade him, you still get 50% discount.

What's the exact difference from the vanilla?
- Buying prices can be several times higher then selling (fully configurable)
- Barter skill and charisma MAY have much greater difference on prices (ex.: prices halfed on barter 150)
- Different prices in different shops (merchant barter skill)
- Town reputation MAY give a discount (I prefer not use this one, though)

Is this mod ready for testing yet (oh one week to wait)...I think certain aspects would fit into the RP nicely. But will the different aspects of the mod i.e: weapons and bartering, be separate scripts, so we can test each aspect separately. :)

Back