Fallout 2 mod EcCo Gameplay Overhaul (new version for RPU)

Hi there.
Compatible with KRP 2.3.3.
It was not tested with UPU #18. It should work, BUT
You may need to migrate ini files and edit the path to them (in ddraw.ini), according to the UPU files (mods\ini config).
example: PerksFile=Perks.ini replace to PerksFile=sfall\Perks.ini (and other ini's)

Maybe I'll update it later to make it compatible

hi Pyran,

it would be very nice from your side if you will adopt this mod.

Thank you for support classic Fallout games :D.

Need help in EPA security level!!!
Cant open door with lockers, even with red passcard. When i inspect the door it says, door has no lock but control panel is nearby...
How to open it? I try to search this panel but i cant find it?

>>Adaptation:
When there's enough time.
>>EPA security level
Watch the walkthrough on youtube.
Take a screenshot or save. Someone will tell you.

There is no youtube video with this mod...
- EPA: loot rearranged/reduced somewhat; room with most powerful stuff at security level will be harder to get in...
That room idk how to open???

There is no youtube video with this mod...
- EPA: loot rearranged/reduced somewhat; room with most powerful stuff at security level will be harder to get in...
That room idk how to open???
The hint is this: Figure out the hologram task in PA. Fix the robots control computer (next to the character who suggests testing the solar scorcher).

Need help in EPA security level!!!
Cant open door with lockers, even with red passcard. When i inspect the door it says, door has no lock but control panel is nearby...
How to open it? I try to search this panel but i cant find it?
If you got the security card and can open security doors in red level, but not the doors with the armory, then know this:
EcCo did few tweaks hre and there to the game including EPA armory door.

If I were You, Id follow the case of "toxic caves elevator", since "no phisical lock and a panel nearby" preaty much means something, and i can already tell You, so that you don't waste car fuel, that theese door with EcCo mod installed, require Mk.II of the thing you're looking for, so don't come back there with just the regular version

Does anyone know how to be a trader in this mod? I mean which wares can be bought cheaper in town X and sold high in town Y?

Hi Sagez, I was asking me exactly the same and took a look into the hs_barterprize.int just realising they are totally off. So I started to tweak them for the aim to make them consistent and lorewise natural and to make a trader char work.
These are the key points:

+ selling value does not go above buying value and both meet at barter=300
+ price ratio (buy:sell) escalates from Klam to San Fran in reasonable (blance-wise: hard) way:
8:1(KLA) to 15:1(SF) with barter=0, 3:1(KLA) to 5:1(SF) with barter=100
+ barter skill, CH, town reputation and master trader perk are taken into account
+ starting from ~barter=100 it is possible to do profitable trade runs between cities with existing trade routes and goods (hides, drugs, meds, gold,...)
+ items in demand are designed to match lore and local aspects (meds cheap in VC, hides cheap in Klam and vice versa, gold in demand here, uranium there and so on.)
+ completed list of towns

For a closer look whats in demand in detail take a look on the proto ids below the town names in the ini.
For a quick overview these are the main goods:

Klam: meds++, some ammo+, hides--
Den: meds+, jet++, booze-, some ammo+, hides-
Modoc: food+, hides+, leather armors-
VC: meds--, hides++, ref. uranium+, gold+, booze+, cats paw+ ;)
Gecko: ref uranium+, gold+
Abbey: booze+, books+, cats paw ;)
Redding: gold--, jet+++, meds+, scribs+
Reno: jet--, drugs-, booze-, gold++, energy weapons++
BH: uranium+, ref uranium- , gold+
NCR: gold+, ref.uran+, piston spear-, spiked sl-,...
SF: (power armor+), ripper-, power fist-,...

Actually I quoted out NPC followers when checking for barter skill (leftover from testing) so they might to be un-quoted in the ini file if you want follower help in barter.
If doing so I recommend to change the barter values of NPC followers to lower values.

EDIT:
Small side note, the script may contain some new protos I added for my personal game. If anyone has additional protos to the ones from Ecco some edits might be recommended. Still the script should work.

See the adjusted file below:
https://www.nma-fallout.com/attachments/pmod_barter_formula-rar.16863/

Last edited:
Woah man, this is totally awesome. You could even start a new topic about it, so it won't be forgotten quickly (and so the other modders may use this formula).
I'm just afraid that people will post new posts ;)
Are all cities covered? Like, what is needed in San Fran and NCR?
Thank you, great job.

Woah man, this is totally awesome. You could even start a new topic about it, so it won't be forgotten quickly (and so the other modders may use this formula).
I'm just afraid that people will post new posts ;)
Are all cities covered? Like, what is needed in San Fran and NCR?
Thank you, great job.

Yes, all cities are covered. I updated my post for that. But NCR and especially San Fran mostly got local melee/unarmed weapons on discount the gangs in the area are using in my custom settings.
Thank you really, I will consider putting the formula on topic.

Last edited:
EcCo mod doesn't contain tweaks by burn.
RUP - I plan to update it. There will be tweaks, but only partially. I can't say the exact dates.
If I understand you correctly.

Hello, I've installed this mod but I don't see Mr Fixit. Now I'm not even sure the mod even works, how can I make sure?

Hello.
Click the binoculars at yourself.
Important, the mod is compatible with the classic RP 2.3.3. Not tested with RPU by burn.
But, testing\adaptation for RPU is planned

Lol even my original thread was hijacked )))

I'm thinking about updating the mod for the RPU. Note that all versions of EcCo beyond 0.6.2 were made by different authors, with my knowledge but without consultation on specific changes. It will probably take a long time for me to catch up on all of the changes. I'm considering re-building the mod from the ground up into a new package (maybe no installer this time?).

Main goals:
- Make it compatible with latest RP
- Integrate some feedback and fixes from other people over the years
- Simplify the installer and mod itself as much as possible, to make it easier to develop and less bug-prone

Possible plan:
- Make a detailed comparison between 0.6.2 and latest version by Pyran and possibly integrate some changes
- Install latest RPu (with updated locations by Pixote)
- Manually integrate every script, art, proto, text in the mod with the RP
- Go though the map changes (hopefully, I can find the list I've made) and repeat them
- Go through some of the feedback posted over the years and maybe make some tweaks
- Release a 0.8 beta version of the mod
- Start a new game with this version and fix it as I go, like always
- Hopefully, complete the game at least once and release version 1.0

I don't like "all-in-one" type of installers that some people seem to promote these days. They make it impossible to properly discuss and support individual mods (people don't understand what they installed, they constantly post in wrong threads, somebody needs to investigate where the bug comes from etc). Also, I think, as a mod author, I'd be more motivated if people would come to my original thread to ask questions, post bug reports or suggestions etc, specifically for my work. With repacks, they might not even realize they're playing your mod. Even worse - they might not even know you're the author.

Also, it's not OK to release modified versions of other people's work under the original name, but with a different version number.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking about updating the mod for the RPU. Note that all versions of EcCo beyond 0.6.2 were made by different authors, with my knowledge but without consultation on specific changes. It will probably take a long time for me to catch up on all of the changes. I'm considering re-building the mod from the ground up into a new package (maybe no installer this time?).

Main goals:
- Simplify the installer and mod itself as much as possible, to make it easier to develop and less bug-prone

Possible plan:
- Make a detailed comparison between 0.6.2 and latest version by Pyran and possibly integrate some changes
- Go though the map changes (hopefully, I can find the list I've made) and repeat them
- Go through some of the feedback posted over the years and maybe make some tweaks

I don't like "all-in-one" type of installers that some people seem to promote these days. They make it impossible to properly discuss and support individual mods (people don't understand what they installed, they constantly post in wrong threads, somebody needs to investigate where the bug comes from etc). Also, I think, as a mod author, I'd be more motivated if people would come to my original thread to ask questions, post bug reports or suggestions etc, specifically for my work. With repacks, they might not even realize they're playing your mod. Even worse - they might not even know you're the author.

Also, it's not OK to release modified versions of other people's work under the original name, but with a different version number.

Any thoughts?
Hi there!
v0.6.3 - optimized the internal structure of the modification (which eliminated some of the problems), without interfering with scripting. To adapt the modification to the RPu, just didn't have enough time and motivation))))

It's great that you're coming back for an update mod.

Main goals:

Possible plan:

Any thoughts?
I would love to see a rebalanced economy mod that does the job. Please do not take this as an insult. I'm a huge fan of what you tried to do with the earlier version and of what you actually achieved. Your script for adjusting both buying and selling price was excellent although I would use whatever I posted in your thread 5+ years ago for the starting base values. However, the mod failed to address the primary problem with the economy which is the highest Barter skill value of the NPCs in the party being used in transactions. Basically you start the game with a Barter skill between -6 and 50 depending on Charisma and Traits. Once you add Sulik or Vic to the party your Barter skill will count as 50 regardless of what it actually is. Once you add Cassidy to the party your Barter skill will count as 80. This means that if your Barter skill is 26 you would have to add 54 points to your Barter skill, (with 0 positive effect), before adding more points began to have any tiny positive effect. No-one is going to waste points doing this before they reach level 12 at the earliest.

The possible solutions are:
1) Use only the Chosen One's Barter skill value in transactions.
2) If any Party member has a higher Barter skill adjust the Barter skill formula so the player gets INT [ Chosen One Barter skill + ( [ Highest Party member Barter skill - Chosen One Barter skill ] / 6 ) ] instead of the highest Party member Barter skill value. The range this formula can be adjusted by is small with the current NPC Barter values.
3) Adjust all the NPC Barter skill values in their base files.
4) Revalue all the item prices.

In my opinion Option 1 is the easiest and would work with what you've previously done. Option 2 is better than option 1. Options 3 is desirable but problematic. Option 4 by itself won't do the job.

Options 3 and 4 will impact other mods. Option 3 would potentially allow a greater range for the Option 2 formula.

Bottom line: I don't see how you solve the problem without using Option 1 or 2.

Oh! that's awesome news :) I always use Ecco when I play Fallout 2, but until today I was kinda "fixing" it myself, by choosing which file to overwrite the other mods. That made it playable (but with bugs of course). Anyway, thank you for working on it again, this mod is great.

3) Adjust all the NPC Barter skill values in their base files.

Actually I like this option the most. In general, it makes sense that when you recruit somebody - you can use their skill to your party's advantage. So Option 1 would be strange in that regard. Option 2 - if I understood correctly, is to increase final Barter but only by a fraction of difference between dude and party member? I will think about this, thanks for suggestions.

Option 1 and 2 are easily implemented by modifying the script (I'm surprised you didn't already). Option 3 is even easier.

Anyway, thank you for working on it again, this mod is great.

Thank you! But I'm not working on it yet, just trying to catch up on 7 years of changes and feedback and considering my options. Based on what I see here and on NC thread, I feel there's a potential to polish the mod without huge efforts (like I put into traps system). Integrate fixes and good suggestions from others, then complete a play-through, tweaking things along the way (like loot placement, prices, INI settings, weapon, ammo, armor stats, etc.).

What do you guys think about the traps and crafting systems, after playing with them? Do you feel they are useless? Do they distract from the experience or can be safely ignored? Is anything you think that can be changed to make these features much more useful?

What do you guys think about the traps and crafting systems, after playing with them? Do you feel they are useless? Do they distract from the experience or can be safely ignored? Is anything you think can be changed to make these features much more useful?

I loved the crafting system, the craftable items added there is the main reason I use this mod. Now, the trap system... Hmmm... I don't think I ever use it, but I'm not a good person to take feedback about it, I kinda never use traps in any game.
¯\_( ◉ 3 ◉ )_/¯

Back