Extremely severe lag, is it normal? (PS3)

Grampy Bone

First time out of the vault
I'm curious as to whether the lag I'm experiencing on my current Fallout 3 game is normal? (PS3 Version)

Dont get me wrong, I can understand and accept a little slow down during some of the more graphic intensive areas/battles but the lag I've been experiencing as of late is so severe its making the game almost unplayable, and I'm begining to wonder if its not so much the game, but an early indication that my PS3 is on the blink.

To give an example my game slows down so much that at first you think it has frozen or crashed, after about 5 seconds or so it will move a few frames and then freeze for another 5 seconds or so and keeps doing this until I either reset my system, or enter another area, although this is only a tempory fix, as it usually starts again before to long.

One thing I have noticed however is that its a problem that is occuring more often and getting more severe the longer I play, early on I had no problems, midgame I had occasional minor problems, and now late end game I have very severe frequent problems, which again has me worrying that it could be my PS3 reaching the end of its lifespan.

The only hope I have is that, I have noticed the dead corpses, and other misc items shrewn about the wastelands dont seem to despawn (unless fully looted), and I am one of those obsessive players who likes to visit every single location, explore every little nook and cranny, kill every enemy, complete every quest etc. So far I have clocked up approx 120-130 hours of gameplay, fully explored every area of the normal game, completed broken steel, Operation anchorage and Mothership Zeta, and am currently a good way through The Pitt.

Could it be that all those Thousands of dead corpses littered around the wastes are becoming a strain on my PS3s resources and are causing the lag? I'm hoping this is a possibility rather than my out of warrently PS3 being on the blink.

Anyway anyone have any similar problems, because lag is somthing I came come to associate with the PC rather than a console and is one of the reasons I went with the console version rather than the PC?

Delete as many saves as you can, obviously the back up saves for before doing quests or what ever. The save data gets pretty large once you've done most things and explored large areas. A lot of my lag came from evergreen mills, op anchorage and mothership gayta. And night time. Not sure if there's an official fix but I usually turn the console off for a while. Fixes it most times.

Right, I understand exactly what you mean when you associate lag with Pc's. No mater how good a PC's card is, there is always an ounce of lag. At least with PS3, you don't have to expect lag. So yeah, try deleting old saves and such and good luck. Don't worry about the corpses, I'll take care of them.
;)

Lag? I didn't know Fallout 3 had an online mode ;)

On a more serious note, ever since consoles started becoming more and more like PC, they started inheriting all of PC problems. Now there are even graphics options screens in some console games. Patches. Problems with USB peripherals. Problems with hard drive filesystems. Yada yada yada.

Consoles used to be these boxes where you pop a disc or cartridge in, and you can play immediately, with zero problems.

Now, that's a relic of the past. Welcome to the future of consoles.

Back