Fallout 1 mod Fallout 1.2 DOSBox Portable

Fat Wombat

First time out of the vault
Ready to go Fallout 1.2 DOSBox Portable!

Fallout - A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game v1.2

YOU MUST OWN FALLOUT AND HAVE ACCESS TO THE GAME FILES!!!

Note: Download size is 170MB approx. Full install size including your *.DAT files is 660MB approx.

Link --> https://www.moddb.com/games/fallout/downloads/fallout-12-dosbox-portable-094b

SETUP

1. Download and extract the file to a folder of your choosing.

2. Copy your Fallout "MASTER.DAT" and "CRITTER.DAT" files to the FALLOUT\CD\ folder inside (preferably directly from an official Fallout CD).

3. Use "*.BAT" files to launch:

FALLOUT32.BAT for 32-bit version
WINDOWED32.BAT for 32-bit version running in a 1280x1024 window

FALLOUT64.BAT for scalable 64-bit version (experimental)
Pressing [F11] + [F] will switch between windowed and fullscreen modes. Click and drag corners to resize window.
Pressing [CTRL] + [F10] will capture / release mouse.
Pressing [ESC] + [F11] will bring up the menu bar in windowed mode (for adjusting performance and other emulation settings).

FEATURES - Windows Ver.

-32-bit variant running on DOSBox 0.74-3
-64-bit variant running on DOSBox-X 0.83.17 SDL2
-Internal reported MS-DOS version 6.22
-Fallout (DOS) updated from 1.1 to 1.2
-added work around for CD check
-added children fix
-added v.1.2 and v.1.3.5 updates by TeamX
-added cathedral fix by TeamX
-Steam / GOG.com game files supported

TROUBLESHOOTING

1. Some full screen scaling and aspect ratio settings may need to be adjusted from your GPU control panel.

2. If the mouse click doesn't function properly in game exit and re-launch, or try one of the other .BAT files.

3. A known issue in the 'Cathedral' level can prevent progress for some players. There is a patch called "Cathedral_Fix.bat" in the FALLOUT folder. *Use ONLY if you have issues in the cathedral level.

CREDITS

This could not have been done without the DOSBox and DOSBox-X teams, so many thanks!
Check them out at Dosbox.com and Dosbox-x.com

Interplay Productions for creating the amazing Fallout!
This package was created using an original Fallout 1.1 CD.

TeamX for their v.1.2 & v.1.3.5 patches.

The folks at nma-fallout.com and moddb.com

Skynet.

Thankyou for playing!

Fat Wombat.

Replacement config file to remove launch 'beeps' from 64.

Its from the mouse capture, its set to launch fullscreen now so it caps automatically anyway.

Still playing with performance tweaks, the main menu and world maps are a little slower than i'd like...

Attachments

I personally think that for Fo1 ppl should stick to Fallout:EtTu. If you have CrapOs try the instructions how to run Fo2 engine on CrapOs in the modding stickies or if you want to play in android try ExaGear windows emulator..

Fallout1 engine is *obsolete* and Fallout DOS engine is obsolete *even* m0ar, the inability to run HRP or sfall under DOS is means the game experience is going to be sh!t.

If you want to make something usefull, rather than reinventing the wheel, create some stuff like ExaGear windows emulator to be specificaly tailored to use with Fallout 2 engine, as I've heard recently ExaGear folks went bankrupt, and there is no legal way of obtaining ExaGear programs anymore, not to mention the support for android 11 and above is not there anymore either, So if You're up to the task go for it, otherwise there are ways to run Fo1/Fo2 under CrapOs, and I mean *literally* the Fo1/2 windows versions, not the crapy DOS Fo1 version without HRP and without sfall support, not to mention all the Total Conversion mods are under Fo2 engine, and they ran in Exagear windows emulator just fine back when i had android 10 and earlier.

I appreciate You're trying hard to do something usefull for Fallout comunity, although what You're trying to achive has no point, as it already has been covered by others, It's not too complicated to run wine on CrapOs and follow the stickies instructions on how to set up Fo2 within wine. I seriously doubt anyone is going to use Fallout DOS version for that. Jebus Chrust it's 2021 is anyone actually still interested in DOS version of fallout 1? given the small comunity classic fallout fans are I seriously doubt it..

Thanks for the Tip gustarballs1983!

please see screens in .zip below for one reason im not using Fallout et tu at the moment - scaling option doesn't work.

Also tried fallout fixt, scaling mode produces a strange ripple effect when moving the mouse around. Also, on my laptop the high res modes are near impossible to play. Low res boxes it, adding bars at the edge and the scaling feature (when enabled) zooms in so you can only see the left-top quarter.

Attachments

Also on my mac, the gog.com releases box it at 4:3 with bars and no windowed mode (Mojave or older OS). At least with dosbox I have options. Catalina OS didn't want to run it at all.

For scaling in et tu (or FO2 in general if you updated sfall), try settings like this (let's assume your desktop resolution is in 1080p):
Fullscreen:
ddraw.ini - [Graphics] Mode=6
f2_res.ini - SCR_WIDTH=960, SCR_HEIGHT=540 (or other resolution as long as it's the same aspect ratio as your desktop)

Windowed:
ddraw.ini - [Graphics] Mode=5, GraphicsWidth=1280, GraphicsHeight=720 (or other window size you want)
f2_res.ini - SCR_WIDTH=1280, SCR_HEIGHT=720 (again, same aspect ratio, but it should be >= 640x480)

Last edited:
For scaling in et tu (or FO2 in general), try settings like this (let's assume your desktop resolution is in 1080p):
Fullscreen:
ddraw.ini - [Graphics] Mode=6
f2_res.ini - SCR_WIDTH=960, SCR_HEIGHT=540 (or other resolution as long as it's the same aspect ratio as your desktop)

Windowed:
ddraw.ini - [Graphics] Mode=5, GraphicsWidth=1280, GraphicsHeight=720 (or other window size you want)
f2_res.ini - SCR_WIDTH=1280, SCR_HEIGHT=720 (again, same aspect ratio, but it should be >= 640x480)

Thank you that's awesome!

do you know if there is any way to clean it up? (see pics2.zip)

Attachments

it was looking very pixellated, but I changed the panel scaling mode in game, and changed .ini's to this:

ddraw.ini - [Graphics] Mode=5, GraphicsWidth=1280, GraphicsHeight=1024
f2_res.ini - SCR_WIDTH=800, SCR_HEIGHT=600

Thank you NovaRain!

I'm going to move on to something else :)

leaving the files here for reference tho, in case anyone wants to fiddle.

Back