Fallout 1 Won´t save game

Discussion in 'Fallout RPG Gameplay & Tech' started by Mirek, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Mirek

Mirek First time out of the vault

Jun 19, 2015
    Hi
    Win7 64bit here.
    I get error message wich says unable to save game.
    I have fallout installed along with Falout 2 and Fallout Tactics on Disc D. So no programfiles issue there. And it is first instalation of those three on this computer, so no old registry issue. I even tried to uninstal all Fallout and install Fallout 1 only. it didnt help.
    I have Fallout Fixt 7.1 installed and it works. (except it didnt fix the issue with saves)

2. Yamu

Yamu Le Fromage Vieux oTO Moderator Orderite

Jul 26, 2003
    Hmm. I used to run F1 on a 64 bit 7 machine without issue. I even installed it straight to Program Files on c://.

I'm not very well-versed on the tech side of things, but you might try just installing it like I did, in the stupid way that everyone tells you not to.

Out of curiosity, were Fallout 2 and Tactics having the same issue?

3. Mirek

Jun 19, 2015
    Hey
    I only played Fallout 1 in this instalation i uninstaled the other ones without triing toplay them, so i dont know if they had the same issue.

4. valcik

valcik So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Dec 20, 2008
    Just shooting from the hip here:
    1. Make sure you're using HUMONGOUS installation. Some modifications altering master.dat file cannot save if your master.dat is located on CD/DVD due to minimal installation.
    2. Antivirus can prevent some programs to write on disk, try turning it off temporarily if you're using some.

5. Mirek

Jun 19, 2015
    I have master.dat inside the game folder. not on CD.
    Já mám Master.dat ve složce s hrou ne na disku.

6. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Strange. Were you able to figure this out?

Other things to try: Disable UAC, disable anti-virus, play on an Administrator user account, make sure nothing else is monitoring the folder - like Dropbox or GitHub, or any other programs that constantly monitors files, make sure none of the required folders are set to Read-Only. (Fallout/DATA, Fallout/DATA/SAVEGAME), and for the sake of troubleshooting trying disabling f1_res and ddraw.dll one at a time to see if that helps.

7. Mirek

Jun 19, 2015
    Didint solved it yet. Ill try those tips thanks.

Ok i set all the files in my fallout folder to writable, and it works now If i run the game as admin. Thanks man.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  8. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Sweet, good news! :) If you have a hunch which files specifically caused the issue, please let me know.

Otherwise I'll just add "remove Read-Only flag from files" as a setp in the troubleshooting guide. Thank you

9. Mirek

Jun 19, 2015
    No idea i just set entire Fallout Folder and all subfolders to writable. Also i have to run the game as administrator.

10. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks!