Fallout 2 BIS mapper configuration.

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Mulligun, Jul 4, 2023.

1. Mulligun

Mulligun Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 14, 2006
    What is the difference between the librarian and override_librarian options in Fallout 2 BIS mapper mapper2.cfg file?

2. Muttie

Muttie Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 9, 2017
    There's a documentation by Red ("Mapper keys 1.6 by Red!"). Which says:

QUOTE START
    F9: /Rebuild item protos (Librarian menu - need librarian=1 in cfg)
    F10: Quit/Rebuild proto lists (Librarian menu - need librarian=1 in cfg)
    F11: /Rebuild all (Librarian menu - need librarian=1 in cfg)

- [ Librarian mode ] -
    The librarian menu can be toggled on with override_librarian=1 in the cfg, note
    that while it's enabled you can't save your map.

- [ Editing PRO files ] -
    To get the PRO files to be editable, on the same drive that you run the mapper,
    create /fallout2/dev/proto, and in it place the directories critters, items,
    scenery, tiles, walls and misc. Once that's done you can edit the PRO files by
    simply Right-Clicking on them with the mouse and Clicking the Edit button (or
    pressing E). You also need to make sure that librarian is set to 1 in the cfg
    (and preferably librarian_override still set to 0 if you still want to be able
    to save maps).

An important note is that each PRO contains it's own PID in the file. If you
    copy a PRO file to overwrite another one or create a new one at the end of the
    list, you'll need to make sure the internally contained PID matches the it's own
    critter.lst line number. You could hex edit it, or:
    - edit the proto, thus creating the text file reference;
    - rebuild the protos (F9, see above, though you might need to use F11).

Here's a sample of how it looks on my drive for reference (in hopes it looks
    good in whatever media you read this in...)
    E:\
    \---fallout2
    \---dev
    \---proto
    +---critters
    +---items
    +---scenery
    +---tiles
    +---walls
    \---misc​
    END QUOTE SCRIPT COMMAND DEV OVERRIDE POWER

So, I'd say Librarian is a function when you want the mapper to edit proto files.
    And override_librarian enables a menu (?), but you can't save the map... but I never tested it.

Btw, regarding the internal PID, I have not yet (!) found an issue in-game (...), but it messes up the mapper's "P" hotkey. Which is a very useful hotkey.

3. Lexx

Lexx Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    The mapper can always edit proto files.

4. Femic

Femic First time out of the vault

Nov 22, 2015
    With librarian and override_librarian toggled to 1 you can create new protos but with librarian you cannot save the current map and with override_librarian you can or something like that.