Fallout 2 color palette.

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Mulligun, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Mulligun

Mulligun It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 14, 2006
    Is there a way to modify a standard Fallout 2 color palette? I'd like to change just one maybe two colors to my needs. Is there a tool to do that?

2. burn

burn Mildly Dipped
    Modder

Apr 22, 2012
    What are you actually trying to do?

3. Mulligun

Dec 14, 2006
    I'd like to create a new ammo based on 5mmjhp.frm image. To do so I need to edit a few colors in this img palette to make my new ammo frm look good.

4. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    You should create a new .pal file (same name and folder as the new .frm file) for the inventory graphic, if you really have to. Editing the global .pal file is a really bad idea.

Don't know how to make .pal files with Gimp, etc. but it should be possible. @NovaRain did it a few months ago.

5. Mulligun

Dec 14, 2006
    OK so if I'll create a pal file with the same name as the frm file that pal will be used specially and only for that frm?

6. Mr.Stalin

Mr.Stalin Agent of Enclave Modder

Oct 29, 2015
    this will be not WORK!

7. Mr.Stalin

Oct 29, 2015
    Change the colors of the global palette, bad idea, it will affect the entire game.
    Forget about it.

8. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    You sure? I did some tests with it a while ago, and it seems to work.

9. Mr.Stalin

Oct 29, 2015
    100% confidence. Two different palettes cannot be used/loaded at the same time. Besides, there is no special support for this.
    For files such as death and help images, the current global palette is unloaded and a new one is loaded.