Fallout 2: sfall for win95/win98

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Oddguy, May 27, 2015.

1. Oddguy

Oddguy First time out of the vault

May 27, 2015
    Hello everyone,
    I am currently trying to run Fallout 2 with sfall on windows 98.
    Whenever i Start the game , i get the "could not load directx" -error.

As soon as i remove Ddraw.dll, everything works fine.

Same happens on win95.

So is there any Sfall Version compatible with win95/98 ?
    I need at least 2.0c (remove time limit/ alternate apperance)

Thanks ;)

2. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    The last version of sfall that supports Win9x is 1.47. You can get it by installing killap's unofficial patch, which is recommended.

EDIT: AFAIR, old sfall only works on Win98 not Win95. At least it didn't work on my Win95 OSR2 VM two years ago.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  3. Oddguy

May 27, 2015
    Thanks for the reply ;)

I tried sfall from the "win95/98" Folder of the unofficial patch, i still get the error...
    However, i got my appearance Mod running without sfall (put files in Data -> art -> critters).
    Now i still want to get rid of the time limit , can that be done by editing the savegame ?

4. NovaRain

NovaRain Casual Modder Modder

Mar 10, 2007
    You need to copy fallout2.exe from the unofficial patch too, because using sfall Win9x ver. requires some hex-editing on the exe, and the included exe has already been edited to load sfall.
    The 13-year time limit is an engine-side issue. Unless you just want to revert back the time, editing savegame won't solve the time limit.

5. Oddguy

May 27, 2015
    Allright, thanks , i think i got it working (shows ver. 1.02.34 or something similar in the main menu).
    As for the time limit, i set that to -3 in the ddraw.ini, this will solve my time-Problem, right?

6. fred2

fred2 Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 2, 2013
    Madness ! this is madness !