Fallout 3 at E3 - Electric Playground

The blind previewer did mention that there won't be annoying pop ups, which is good if true, but I don't really like even a toned down indication that you are on a quest (how immersive is that heh). A log could aid the memory, but one should not need to be told that they are on a particular quest. I am curious to see if they have an annoying active quest system integrated with the quest compass.

If I had a Pipboy I would put notes about my quests in it for sure. Especially after flying on Jet, beers, strange fruits, psycho, super stimpacks, and drinking out of toilets in abandoned vaults. Just my 2 bottle caps.

The blind previewer did mention that there won't be annoying pop ups
I think he said that the game won't get paused when it will slap you in your face with pop-up. And it will have that modern fade in / out effect. Yay!

Especially after flying on Jet, beers, strange fruits, psycho, super stimpacks
Bethesda and alcohol and drugs?!?! Totally incompatible! All that mad lawyers will bash beth for even trying to make such a molestation of children minds!

and drinking out of toilets in abandoned vaults
Unless you count this one as alcohol.

skyway said:
I think he said that the game won't get paused when it will slap you in your face with pop-up. And it will have that modern fade in / out effect. Yay!

"Now, the title of the quest fades up and out on the screen without pausing the game," comes across as an alternative method to alert the thoughtless player. A title, not a pop up with explanation, which is an improvement.

Still, a quest log is good.

They did say drugs are in.
Damn it! Are they really going for Mature rating on intent?! Unbelievable! *dresses warmly, expects snow*

A title, not a pop up with explanation, which is an improvement.

A pop-up
"Find your father, you emo git"

Anyway if pop-ups are done in that giant console fonts...

Jiggly McNerdington said:
skyway said:
...then people will mod the fonts down to PC size like Oblivion.

Assuming they have it moddable like Oblivion. I hopes I hopes.

They are delivering really quality games when these have to be heavy modified to be playable :clap:

What about a Fallout Game Construction Set?
"Fallout Ego-Shooter or Racing-Game, you decide!" :mrgreen:

Bethesda makes my head ache :x

skyway said:

Why should they have to?

I think we should stop ranting about the Brotherhood, cause of one thing - The Brotherhood we know was in the far west, in lost california. Now we play around Washington, and I just remember a bit of story background behind the BoS.

If I am right, they were separationists of the Ex US-Army who survived the initial Fallout. So the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel could also be something like an completely unrelated group of only name-similarity who just developed from the original US-Army?

I mean we have seen this in Fallout 2 - The Enclave was a part of it, and what tells us that there could not be another rest of the US-Army in the Eastern US who catched the Name Brotherhood of Steel and manages to control People in Washington through "Protection". We have seen some sort of nice "protection" in Adytum in Fallout 1 - remember that.

And for my part, I think that made the right way, a Pause System is able to replace Round-Based Systems. As long as I get the feeling of Fallout (Wich I still hope) I would also play with a friggin Joystick.

The BoS named themselves AFTER the bombs dropped.
An entirely unrelated group calling themselves the exact same name and using the exact same insignia would be really dumb and in the end just another excuse for shoehorning in the BoS.

Yeah theres no way two seperate squads decided to call themselves that. You use the example of Enclave, a faction with a different name, to support your arguement? Doesn't work. The brotherhood in DC is the same group, keeping in contact over radio or cable, who knows what their mission is.

My idea of BoS is pretty much based on what I remember from FOT. Would like to know how they are painted in FO1 and FO2.

I think Fallout3 takes place in a parallel universe of Fallout, so better do not try to understand it, because many things just developed not like it did in the original Fallout universe.

I still do not know why they choosed the east coast. How should China reach the East Coast of the USA with huge bombs? It was hard for Japan to reach Hawaii in WW2, they had not enough ressources to get back, it was a one way flight. So how is that explained? They have to fly over the half of the world over lots of enemy territory and can easily drop many atomic bombs?

I do not think that China could attack the east coast of the USA in that time. So I am really interested how that is explained....

Bunkermensch said:
I think Fallout3 takes place in a parallel universe of Fallout, so better do not try to understand it, because many things just developed not like it did in the original Fallout universe.

I still do not know why they choosed the east coast. How should China reach the East Coast of the USA with huge bombs? It was hard for Japan to reach Hawaii in WW2, they had not enough ressources to get back, it was a one way flight. So how is that explained? They have to fly over the half of the world over lots of enemy territory and can easily drop many atomic bombs?

I do not think that China could attack the east coast of the USA in that time. So I am really interested how that is explained....
Ehm, it's been established in the first game that the entire world was nuked. To question that is about the dumbest thing you can question about Fallout 3.

Also, China was only the instigator. It is assumed that China fired the first bombs (although even that's not clear), but then a chain reaction started with many (if not all) countries sending up their bombers and firing their missiles.

Bunkermensch said:

What? This can't be a serious complaint against Fallout 3. The bombers didn't have enough fuel? :roll: I've seen a lot of dumb/nitpicky complaints against Fallout 3, but this might just take the cake.

I'm quite sure it was established that they had Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles, and even if they didn't, they could have launched smaller missiles from submarines. Or simply designed larger bombers.

Vault 69er said:
An entirely unrelated group calling themselves the exact same name and using the exact same insignia would be really dumb and in the end just another excuse for shoehorning in the BoS.

I believe you are wrong there. According to the almighty wiki:
The Vault said:
The Brotherhood of Steel (BOS) is a techno-religious organization, with roots in the US military and government-sponsored scientific community from before the war.

Their roots are in US military but they named themselves BoS after the great war. US soldiers were stationed in Mariposa, bombs dropped, they moved to the Lost Hills bunker and named themselves BoS.

V
hahaha, always step behind ;d

ratsnack said:
Vault 69er said:

I believe you are wrong there. According to the almighty wiki:
The Vault said:
The Brotherhood of Steel (BOS) is a techno-religious organization, with roots in the US military and government-sponsored scientific community from before the war.
No, he is right. The Brotherhood of Steel has its roots in the military, but it was certainly named after the bombs dropped. The time-line is that just before the bombs dropped, the military personnel of Mariposa rebelled against the FEV experiments conducted at Mariposa. After the bombs dropped, they travelled to the Lost Hills Bunker and *then* established the Brotherhood.

Vault 69er said:

Why should they have to?
Because Bethesda's too lazy/cheap to tweak the interface for PC most likely. But who knows, maybe after people modded Oblivion they'll realize it doesn't take much effort to make it more PC friendly and they'll improve with FO3. Haven't got any screenshots or movies of the floaty text yet to see what it's like one way or another.

Back