Fallout 3 mods on the Xbox

Tagaziel

Panzerkatze
Orderite
Ausir, from that place we do not speak of, reports that a user by the name of gir, of the Xbox Scene has apparently found a way to load Fallout 3 mods into his Xbox version of the game:<blockquote>Ok, I'll explain it the best I can. Firstly, I used xexloader to install fallout 3 to an external usb hd from the retail disc. (I already had the expansion packs installed) It would probably work just as well if you installed to the internal hd.

Anywhos... I then connected the hd to my computer where I used xextool to patch the xex to the latest version using the method outlined here.

Then, I edited the fallout3.ini as instructed by the "manual" instructions from this.

Then I took the contents of the mod and put them in their respective places in the fallout 3 directory.

I had noticed earlier that the title update container had an esp file in it so, i figured what the heck? Its a longshot, but ill give it a try. So....

Then, I used this guide to help me make a live container for the mods files. Im not sure what all I needed to put in it, so I just put everything in. The esp file and the folders. Just make sure you fill out the gameid and other stuff for fallout 3. Also, instead of telling it youre making a demo, select the "content" option. When that was all said and done, I had a shiny new live container. I just dropped it into the retail hd with the rest of the expansions.

After getting everything put back together, I loaded up fo3 through xexloader and what do ya know? My little "House Mod" showed up in the downloads list. happy.gif

The first save I tried was a later save and it took a couple tries to get it to load. It wasnt until I tried an early one that everything seemed to load up and actually work.

Thats it! I hope someone can take this, make some sense of it, clean it up and streamline the process.

Have fun!</blockquote>Thanks Ausir.

Link: Fallout 3 mods on the 360 on the Vault
Link: I just got a Fallout 3 mod to run on Xbox... on Xbox Scene

Nifty!

The game does get better with good mods.
Though I fail to see why anyone would play this on console rather than onPC (if the PC is good enough to play it, that is).

I bet Bethesda will soon get BLS*, again ;)

*BLS: Bored Lawyer Syndrome

TheSHEEEP said:
Though I fail to see why anyone would play this on console rather than onPC.
Consoles are a cheap alternative to a monster PC. But, aside from funds, you are quite correct.

I bet Bethesda will soon get BLS*, again ;)

*BLS: Bored Lawyer Syndrome
I expect Bethesda to be indifferent - they may do some posturing, but not much more. Microsoft on the other hand may get very cross, as they hate usermade content on their XBox. From what I hear, the main reason that there are no usermade mods on XBox and PS3 is that Microsoft and Sony does not allow it.

Zumbs said:
TheSHEEEP said:
Though I fail to see why anyone would play this on console rather than onPC.
Consoles are a cheap alternative to a monster PC. But, aside from funds, you are quite correct.
Depends, count a good TV in that, and youre almost in the same range like good PC.

Of course in the end it depends what you want to do with it. If you really dont want to do more then playing, a console is the way to go probably. If you want a work station where you can play games as well the PC is without doubt the best solution

Zumbs said:
Cheap PCs are a cheap alternative to a monster PC.

There, fixed it for you. Surely a configuration able to play Fallout 3 would cost a little more than a Xbox, but not that much.
In the 400$ range you can get a pretty decent PC with a real graphic card.
With all the advantages of having a PC in terms of flexibility of use.

I don't buy a new PC when there is no reason for it (Fallout 3 is NOT a reason :D ). I grabbed the xbox of my brother and bought myself the game. When reading that here, maybe I'll play it again, since I don't know a single mod (except of metzgers Claw Peak) for it. But I doubt it will destroy the strange feeling when playing it, there is still too much stuff in this game which cant be modded so easy out.

Arr0nax said:
Zumbs said:
Cheap PCs are a cheap alternative to a monster PC.

There, fixed it for you. Surely a configuration able to play Fallout 3 would cost a little more than a Xbox, but not that much.
In the 400$ range you can get a pretty decent PC with a real graphic card.
With all the advantages of having a PC in terms of flexibility of use.
Today, you may be right, but when the XBox 360 came out in 2005, I'm sure the price difference were significant. And today the difference may be using the XBox you have vs. purchasing a new PC. Anyhow, I neither own nor wish to own a console - I also prefer the flexibility of a PC.

As far as I know you can't play the good fallout games on a console anyway :P (although you don't need a good computer anyway...)

Cool to hear people are finally finding ways to mod the console version, the PC version does get quite great with some mods

This could hurt future dlc sales for Bethesda and their design philosophy, since now their main fanbase will have access to mods that show how easily it is to create additional deeper and free content and will ask that from Bethesda.

These types of methods have been around for quite some time. There were many mods and hacks for Halo on a modded Xbox1 as well.

I just looked on craigslist.com and saw a pre-modded 360 for $150. Beats having to throw down hundreds on a gaming PC.

The way I see it, you have two 360's; one modded for offline play ( to avoid your GT from being banned ) and a non-modded to play online.

If you can recommend a PC that can play this game at the same level of quality, if not higher than the 360 for the same price then recommend away.

Jet1337 said:
I just looked on craigslist.com and saw a pre-modded 360 for $150. Beats having to throw down hundreds on a gaming PC.

The way I see it, you have two 360's; one modded for offline play ( to avoid your GT from being banned ) and a non-modded to play online.

If you can recommend a PC that can play this game at the same level of quality, if not higher than the 360 for the same price then recommend away.

Let's see...$150 for a modded 360, plus about $300 for an unmodded one to play online

Or

This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103236

for the same money to run whatever Fallout 3 mods you want.

Integrated Geforce 9200 would get annihilated by Fallout 3, you'd have to fork out another ~$100 for a decent card. Might as well build it yourself (or get a friend to do it) if you want value.

Tycn said:
Integrated Geforce 9200 would get annihilated by Fallout 3, you'd have to fork out another ~$100 for a decent card. Might as well build it yourself (or get a friend to do it) if you want value.
If a 7900 plays it easy at maximum settings 720p, a 9200 does too. At least in medium.
And a decent card is a x1950xt. Anything higher than that is a waste of money.

:EDIT:
Oh, never mind, we're talking about Fallout 3. Wasting money is obviously not an issue.

I recommend three Xbox 360s, one of them integrated into some 200million euro car, three 100inch flat screens for panoramic view, five top end PCs for whatever you need and half a dozen hookers to keep you from falling asleep.

Morbus said:
If a 7900 plays it easy at maximum settings 720p, a 9200 does too. At least in medium.
And a decent card is a x1950xt. Anything higher than that is a waste of money.

Seeing as how a 7900 is a high end card (for it's generation) and a 9200 is a lousy integrated chip, I don't think that the formers performance says much about the latter's.

Lol, Newegg sure had a lot of weird "Gaming PC" configs, like a powerful Intel i5 750 CPU with a weakling GeForce 9500. Talk about bottlenecks :?

Guess it's pretty common with prepackaged PCs, even quad-core CPUs come with patheticly bottlenecking graphics, all touted as "Gaming PC!!!" :roll:

Bofast said:
Seeing as how a 7900 is a high end card (for it's generation) and a 9200 is a lousy integrated chip, I don't think that the formers performance says much about the latter's.
It's two generations later. The 8800 in comparison with a 7950 is about twice as powerful, and I think the 9800 is basically a rebranded 8800, so you may have a point. But I think it plays it, at least.

Bofast said:
Lol, Newegg sure had a lot of weird "Gaming PC" configs, like a powerful Intel i5 750 CPU with a weakling GeForce 9500. Talk about bottlenecks :?

Guess it's pretty common with prepackaged PCs, even quad-core CPUs come with patheticly bottlenecking graphics, all touted as "Gaming PC!!!" :roll:
Yup. But bottlenecking because of a crappy VGA is way better than bottlenecking because of a crappy CPU or motherboard.

morb has it right...

its far more important to have a good CPU than a good GPU...

too good of a GPU and a low end CPU will mean you will severely under-drive that GPU making it perform very poorly.

too good of a CPU and a poor GPU will just mean that some games will not run due to no shaders, which only becomes important for brand spanking new cards...

plus upgrading a GPU is much easier than upgrading a CPU

Back