Fallout 4 teased? Three Dog returning

Wastewander said:
It's really sad when we're thinking this on the level of 'the lesser of two evils'.

Isn't it what choices in good RPGs are about? Choosing the lesser evil? Maybe Bethesda is on the right track then :)

Terrible images appear in my mind when I think of Three Dog's cameo knowing the Bethesda's level of creativity and idea of fun.
Three Dog has become a BoS member and now there's a B'hood radio, yo...
Three Dog has moved to Boston to fight a good fight with giant mutated lobsters...
The Enclave has kidnapped Three Dog and you have to save him for unknown reason...

Okay, I'll stop giving them ideas.

Relentless666 said:
But I shot him in the face! How is he back? Is F4 set in Hell?

And, as always, baseless assumptions ahoy. There is literally 0 evidence for Three Dog being back. All we have is the voice hinting at the possibility of his return, that's it. The guy is probably just going to voiceAcharacter from Fallout 4 (he also had a voice part in Skyrim), who may or may not be Three Dog.

gumbarrel said:
And, as always, baseless assumptions ahoy. There is literally 0 evidence for Three Dog being back. All we have is the voice hinting at the possibility of his return, that's it. The guy is probably just going to voiceAcharacter from Fallout 4 (he also had a voice part in Skyrim), who may or may not be Three Dog.

Yeah, uhm, no it's not a baseless assumption, he STRONGLY hinted at that himself: "To all my #Fallout3 and #ThreeDog fans: There may be more of the Dog coming! Fingers crossed!"

That's hardly flimsy, and hardly a generic reference. Could he be wrong? Sure. But assuming Three Dog will reappear in some way (not necessarily in Fallout 4 proper) is perfectly reasonable in light of that tweet.

WorstUsernameEver said:
Fallout 4, which would mean that the title will most likely take place in the Capital Wasteland or in some nearby area (given that it's fairly improbable that Three Dog could have traveled further than that)
Harold and the BoS traveled from California to DC and were their long enough to take root. No river was wide enough, no mountain tall enough, no valley low enough, and no radiation strong enough to keep them from us. I have no doubts that they will bring back some of the characters from Fallout 3, no matter where they set Fallout 4.

Rumors from Reddit.

* First and foremost, the game will take place in Boston, and be kind of a direct sequel to Fallout 3 with a few groups returning.
* From what it sounds like, "The Institute" is pretty much the downtown DC or New Vegas of this game. Boston is going to be unlike anything we've seen in a Fallout game before, with buildings more on par with cyberpunk and retro-futurism.
* Androids play a big part in this game. The railroad from Fallout 3 is a faction. The enemies of the railroad is "the Plantation" -- a group who force Androids to farm so that Humans can get food. The Institute is highly advanced and probably obtained or built their own GECK to start a farm.
* Due to complaints about using Super Mutants and the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 excessively and going against the lore too much, Bethesda has decided to avoid using these groups. Bethesda wants to make a new "race" (think Ghoul, Super Mutant) which will be central to Boston. Bethesda is currently looking at Lovecraftian fiction since Boston is around "Lovecraft Country".
* Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim and want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim since of the complaints that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were too similar. Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/16cgj0/pal_of_mine_works_in_public_relations_at_bethesda/

I don't know if I want this to be true or not. I already made peace with the fact that Fallout is dead (New Vegas was a miracle) so seeing this stuff would be...entertaining in a bad way.

So Fallout 4 will be a lovecraftian Old World Blues with Cyberpunk.
O Lawd.
But seriously, let's just wait for anything real and official before we start complaining.

Dovahkiin will get a lovely crafted plasma rifle instead of halberd. Not a big deal.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
Rumors from Reddit.

* First and foremost, the game will take place in Boston, and be kind of a direct sequel to Fallout 3 with a few groups returning.
* From what it sounds like, "The Institute" is pretty much the downtown DC or New Vegas of this game. Boston is going to be unlike anything we've seen in a Fallout game before, with buildings more on par with cyberpunk and retro-futurism.
* Androids play a big part in this game. The railroad from Fallout 3 is a faction. The enemies of the railroad is "the Plantation" -- a group who force Androids to farm so that Humans can get food. The Institute is highly advanced and probably obtained or built their own GECK to start a farm.
* Due to complaints about using Super Mutants and the Brotherhood of Steel in Fallout 3 excessively and going against the lore too much, Bethesda has decided to avoid using these groups. Bethesda wants to make a new "race" (think Ghoul, Super Mutant) which will be central to Boston. Bethesda is currently looking at Lovecraftian fiction since Boston is around "Lovecraft Country".
* Bethesda has no plans to reinvent the leveling up system to make it more like Skyrim and want to make Fallout 4 more distinct from Skyrim since of the complaints that Oblivion and Fallout 3 were too similar. Bethesda is thinking about introducing a system, similar to Skyrim, where your skills can level up if you perform certain tasks

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/16cgj0/pal_of_mine_works_in_public_relations_at_bethesda/

I don't know if I want this to be true or not. I already made peace with the fact that Fallout is dead (New Vegas was a miracle) so seeing this stuff would be...entertaining in a bad way.

Even if they are just rumors, I can't say they are all that exciting. I'm almost certain the Brotherhood is going to be in the game one way or another.

Stanislao Moulinsky said:
Rumors from Reddit.

Saw those. NeoGAF moderators seem to think they're credible enough to be posted as a separate thread, but IMO they're just a credible fake. Wouldn't know what to think of them if they're real: Bethesda getting away from recycling old factions would be good, but Lovecraftian monsters and androids being black people pre-emancipation? mmmh....

OakTable said:
Every so called leak on Reddit or 4chan is bullshit, but at least 4chan makes them amusing.

Not true. As with everything there are shitty links and good ones. 4chan, for example, had a leak regarding DmC last summer that turned out to be completely true.

That Reddit rumor doesn't sound too bad. At least if it's true we'd get some new stuff. I'd take some lovecraft-inspired monsters and android slaves. But I doubt it would happen. Or they would botch it, after all it's Bethesda.

Relentless666 said:
lovecraft-inspired monsters
android slaves

Those two things don't sound bad by themselves, but I don't see them belonging together, and I don't see them belonging in Fallout. Especially the androids.

The very premise of The Institute is every kind of terrible. These people, in a world where some of the most advanced technology available to functional tech-centric pre-war shadow governments still uses transistors and reel-to-reel storage, in a world where any computer capable of supporting a full-fledged AI is the size of a semi truck (Skynet notwithstanding, and he's a one-off), can fully and flawlessly simulate the microscopic complexity of a human mind and body? And they use this Star Trek miracle tech for... for making butlers and farm-hands? Slavery is already a widespread institution in the wasteland-- was robo-slavery really necessary to let us know that these guys were on the next level?

Power creep and the "rule of cool" are becoming serious problems for the series. Antagonistic factions seem to be ever-more arbitrarily, unjustifiably mustache-twirling, and the top-end tech level has shot up by orders of magnitude with each game. If Bethesda keeps to the formula, Fallout 5 is going to feature an army of nanomachine Hitlers.

I don't mind androids in Fallout as it does fit the Fallout setting but I think they should be pre war tech, something developed at the zenith of humanity's technological level, not something post war scientists are putting together on a regular basis.

I also think they should be more 'mechanical' in nature, perhaps passing of as complete humans in the distance but the closer you get to them the more it's clear they are facsimiles of humans, sort of like robotic mannequins.

Last regarding their intelligences, I had this idea that androids on their own are pretty dumb, about as smart as a Mr Handy, but when you network them they start to become more intelligent and capable of formulating decisions and plans.

All and all, not at all like perfect human replicas.

I don't know if I want this to be true or not. I already made peace with the fact that Fallout is dead (New Vegas was a miracle) so seeing this stuff would be...entertaining in a bad way.[/quote]

I much as I don`t like FUCKING ANDROIDS! in my Fallout (cause they are lore braker), I`m quite pleased with new things that might appear there.

I`m cool with Lovecraftian monsters. They`ve already appered in F3/NV (Miralurke Kings). Also in the world that was nearly whole irradiated truly big and fucked up monsters would evolve in ocean. I`ve been useing water based monsters in my Fallout pnp scenarios for years now.

New mutants are also good thing. Ghouls are fine cause they could have evolved anywhere, but yet another type of SMs would be totally ridiculous. I would like to see rat-people living in underground as oposition to Institute humans.

Yamu said:
The very premise of The Institute is every kind of terrible. These people, in a world where some of the most advanced technology available to functional tech-centric pre-war shadow governments still uses transistors and reel-to-reel storage, in a world where any computer capable of supporting a full-fledged AI is the size of a semi truck (Skynet notwithstanding, and he's a one-off), can fully and flawlessly simulate the microscopic complexity of a human mind and body? And they use this Star Trek miracle tech for... for making butlers and farm-hands? Slavery is already a widespread institution in the wasteland-- was robo-slavery really necessary to let us know that these guys were on the next level?

Great points, and pretty much on par with putting a water purifier at the end of a river, dumping drinking water into the sea, I'd say.

But no, man, they're adressing some of the hardest topics here guise, slavery and ethics concerning sentient synthetics, truly one of the deepest games in a long time! 10/10 GOTY.

Threedog reflects just some of the millions of hours of training, tireless auditions, countless rehearsals and remarkable performances at Bethesda Studios. Bethesda has genuinely raised the bar when it comes to acting in the video game industry, and seeing a character so full of depth return will be a privilege to witness in-game.

Back