Fallout 5 to be the next Bethesda game after TESVI

I didn't mean that it would destroy Star Citizen, I meant that it would clown on it for the amusement of anyone who isn't in the SC cult. There's a bunch of space games out already that did the same thing, so Bethesda joining in would be icing on the cake.

I didn't mean that it would destroy Star Citizen, I meant that it would clown on it for the amusement of anyone who isn't in the SC cult. There's a bunch of space games out already that did the same thing, so Bethesda joining in would be icing on the cake.

That may be true, I just don't think it's going to fulfill the Star Citizen promise any more than SC did, probably less so. Usually when people think that about a game, it's because they are ignoring what the game does NOT do, because people expected SC to do everything. So if you set a game in space, you can add literally any feature, and some people will immediately think, "SC doesn't do that, therefore this game does more than SC."

Fair point, though "successfully implementing literally any feature" being the bar that measures whether a game is better than Star Citizen after a literal decade of development is still super hilarious. I think the comparison was usually made between what Star Citizen originally promised and what other games eventually ended up doing. Because by this point no game that could ever be feasibly made would match Star Citizen's current scope creep, lol.

Now with two times more dialogue options that all still mean the same.
No settlements, you have to build them all.
One hundred times more trash to convert into crafting materials.
Twenty times more the number of names that one companion can use when talking to your character.
You have to find two different family members, probably your grandparents.
Enclave, Super Mutants, Ghouls, Brotherhood of Steel and Deathclaws will be in the game.
A few characters no one cared about from FO4 will appear, one of them will be a companion.
You will come from a vault.
There will be a dog companion named Dogmeat, it will be a pug.
The emote wheel and emote poses from Fallout 76 will be present.
The main plot will revolve around something, a faction or someone from pre-war times.

fallout_76_emotes.jpg

Not again.. Todd have some mercy.. What now, searching for our grandpa?
You’ll be searching for you grandpa that lived before the war. You’ll wander around asking anyone if they’ve seen an old man. Here’s the twist: when you finally find him he’ll be a skeleton, having died over 200 years ago.

It is pretty hilarious hearing Emil saying that their players don't care about the main quest and all they want is to roam around making up their own stories, but then Bethesda wastes so much time and resources on the main quest. Ranging from voice acting, dialogue, event triggers for quests, writing (even if it sucks) and so on.

The discussion over why old school fans buy the new games intrigues me. My favorite is F1, probably because I've played it something like a hundred times, assuming you count the first week I owned it where I kept dying and creating new characters each time. That counts as a playthrough right? 76 is the first game I haven't even considered playing (much less buying), because it clearly has no story to tell. Unless Bethesda hires, you know, a writer, I doubt you'd see much talk about Fallout 5 here even if it was shipping today.

What makes a good Fallout games is the storytelling. I mean not just NPCs or "read this log" but environmental storytelling, where the exact amount of wear on an item sparks your imagination about what it went through to get there, or the strange state of a town hints at a long history of increasing weirdness. To some extent Bethesda gets this, at least they understand how to put together the atmosphere and, in the early games, had enough material to draw on that it didn't seem yet completely creatively bankrupt.

Fallout 4 is the first Bethesda Fallout game I actually regret spending money on or time playing, and the last one I expect to spend money on. Oh there's some fun to be had shooting things and sneaking around, but it was bereft of stories. And OK, sure, there are one or two cute ironic stories in the computer logs but they're buried so deeply... clearly that's an accident, junior writers who hadn't yet learned to save their best material for a book or a real future opportunity.

Speaking of Star Citizen, I love my regular email newsletter because I get to play "spot the digital asset they're selling to whales this month!"

The discussion over why old school fans buy the new games intrigues me. My favorite is F1, probably because I've played it something like a hundred times, assuming you count the first week I owned it where I kept dying and creating new characters each time. That counts as a playthrough right? 76 is the first game I haven't even considered playing (much less buying), because it clearly has no story to tell. Unless Bethesda hires, you know, a writer, I doubt you'd see much talk about Fallout 5 here even if it was shipping today.

You are so wrong my friend.

- Grandpa, did you know what Bethesda are going to release Fallout 5 in this year?
- I heard that decades ago.

- Grandpa, did you know what Bethesda are going to release Fallout 5 in this year?
- I heard that decades ago.

- locks grandson in basement, throws away the key

what i dont understand is why bother revealing fallout 5 this early on? ill be like 28 when the next fallout game comes out and dollars to donuts ill still be kicking around this fucking place, but why even tell us its coming out if its not for another like 7-8 years? it almost feels cruel, like having a pitbull in a cage on one side of the room and a small child on the other side youre just tempting the poor fuckin thing, todd!

Back