Fallout 2 mod Fallout et tu - Release v1.10

A bug in Adytum:
there's a chemist, he tells you to talk to Sammael, the guy in a tent. If you do that and skip the option where the chemist asks you to talk to him, this option becomes completely unavailable. Also, game can crash after that. Maybe these things aren't connected though.

Speaking to Sammael doesn't really matter anyways. No idea about the crash. Need a savegame to reproduce.

Okay, the savegame doesn't really matter anyways. No idea why I bother to report bugs if no one cares. Need to stop doing it.

How many bugs did you report?

There's only one path to the quest, otherwise the dialog will reset. So what option will disappear? I don't get it.

/edit: I just talked to Sammael first and then with Miles, but the scenario plays out the exact same way. tl;dr - I have no idea what you mean.

/edit2: After reading your report more 10 times, I figured out the issue is not with Miles, but Sammael.

Last edited:
Excited for the next release, thanks so much for all your hard work on this amazing project!

I was also thinking of restoring "Vasquez Villanova Hernandez Ortega" as a companion for hire in Junktown. It wouldn't be all that hard. But ... again ... what's the point? Junktown is easy, there is no reason to hire a bodyguard for that place. Especially not for 500(!) caps. Now one could argue that Charisma 1 characters with enabled Fo2-style party limit could have a use for hiring him, but ... again ... Junktown can easily be finished without any party members at all. So why waste time on restoring a temporary party member that nobody is going to use anyways.
I'd personally like to see him restored, even if it was in a minimal way and was toggled via an ini setting (like Agatha or Shady Sands merchants) if you felt he wasn't that great for normal playthroughs. Options are always good, and like you say some folks *really* want to see cut content even if it turns out it was pointless. I think your "yes/no flag in ini file" approach is a great way to make the more... questionable... restored content and/or barely finished stuff a choice for players rather than either leaving it out or forcing it on those who want a mostly pure F1 experience in F2's engine. It also makes it easier for those who might want to make a mod that improves on cut-but-restored-but-it-was-pretty-crap content. For example, I've been currently tinkering with my own mod that makes Agatha actually tell stories as well as a few other things and it's a lot easier with her already "in" the game IMO even if she's barely a placeholder.

Last edited:
release_v1.6.png

NOTE: This update requires to start a new game. Playing an existing savegame after updating to v1.6 will not work!

Changelog:
  • Added: French translation by HawK-EyE.
  • Added: New "Black Dude" player character. Can be selected in the race-menu of the character creation.
  • Added: A new mini-mod that enables current / maximum carry weight in the loot screen, similar to what Crafty's Sfall for Fo1 does (disabled by default).
  • Added: New mini-mod that increases the mountain encounter map size to support a resolution of 1280x720px without showing black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. It also increases the visible map area in the Cathedral tower maps (enabled by default).
  • Added: A new optional Floating Eye party member to the Glow (disabled by default).
  • Added: A new option to enable Fo2-style weapon upgrades. Jack in Hub Oldtown and Zack at the Gunrunners will upgrade weapons. Miles in Adytum can produce Flamer Fuel MK2 (enabled by default).
  • Added: Combat Shotgun can be upgraded to a round magazine at Jack (Hub) and Zack (Gunrunners) if Fo2-style weapon upgrades are enabled.
  • Added: All Fo2 lockpick items are now supported in scripts (Lockpicks, Expanded Lockpick set, Electronic Lockpick, Electronic Lockpick MK2).
  • Added: World and map radiation around the Glow is now optional (see fo1_settings.ini), but remains enabled by default.
  • Added: Fire Gecko Pelt from the UPU has been added to the game.
  • Added: The Fo2 Karma Beacon perk now works with the Fo1 NPCs.
  • Added: Throwing animation, club, hammer, and knife for the Tycho / Raider critter.
  • Added: Long hair leather jacket (hero) animations as modder resource.
  • Added: Missing animations for tribal hero male and female critters (modder resource).
  • Added: Restored some inaccessible dialog for Lasher inside the Cathedral (about abusing children).
  • Added: Restored some inaccessible dialog for Viola inside the Cathedral (after talking to Laura).
  • Added: Restored various cut characters (Rae in the Master's Lair, a conversation between two mutants in the Master's Lair medlab, Marney at the Followers Library, Hernandez in Junktown, Dumar in the Cathedral, Brenden in the Brotherhood bunker, Calder at the Cathedral crater, Rufus in the Hub Oldtown). They can be enabled in the fo1_settings.ini file.
  • Fixed: The dialog option to ask Sammael in Adytum about the farm parts would show up only once.
  • Fixed: When asking Rhombus at the Brotherhood for questions, his reply got overwritten by an empty line.
  • Fixed: One of the Skulz in the Skum Pitt attack had a knife but couldn't use it due to lack of animations.
  • Fixed: A potential procedure loop in the (generic) super mutant sergeant script when talking to them in disguise.
  • Fixed: After losing a Junktown boxing match, Saul would not stand up again.
  • Fixed: Asking the Water Merchants for a caravan job wasn't possible anymore after asking about a water delivery, but then declining the service.
  • Fixed: Brotherhood crack paladins will show up at the Cathedral again.
  • Fixed: Cathedral technicians would blast the disguise-check code on every game tick, no matter if they see thep player or not. This can cause the game to crash on certain hardware.
  • Fixed: Dan at the Hub entrance was unable to get to the Brahmin pens (waypoint too far away for the ai pathfinding). Added another waypoint in the middle, which not only fixes his daily schedule, but also restores an interaction with Billy, the brahmin boy.
  • Fixed: Dan at the Hub entrance would tell the player to get out of his house at night (and attack him later), even though the player wasn't in his house.
  • Fixed: Gaining Outdoorsman skill points from the gecko hunters (encounter) will now show up in the message log.
  • Fixed: Gizmo would not react to the player trying to steal from him after certain dialog choices.
  • Fixed: Gizmo's dead remains (with animated flies) can now be looted correctly.
  • Fixed: If Kenji is about to attack Killian and the player leaves the map, he will now be removed (if the player returns after days, he would still be there. Now he is killed off-screen by the guards).
  • Fixed: If Killian gets killed while fighting Gizmo, the player would get the experience points and Junktown becomes hostile.
  • Fixed: If Lars in Junktown gives the player 15 seconds to "leave and never come back", he would start combat no matter where on the map the player is.
  • Fixed: If the player is a child killer, Fry at the Hub entrance would still greet him happily, even though it makes no sense in his dialog.
  • Fixed: LARIPPER map borders were wrong (parts of the visible map were inaccessible due to this).
  • Fixed: Loxley in the Hub wouldn't remember having talked to the player before. Also restored a few dialog lines for him and his friends after getting kicked out from the Circle.
  • Fixed: MacRae in the Boneyard now correctly gives the player +5% Damage Resistance, and + 1% Melee Damage (vanilla Fo1 bug + removed the old Fixt workaround which gave skill points instead). Also, gaining the bonus will now be mentioned in the message log (same as how every other bonus gets mentioned).
  • Fixed: Maxon at the Brotherhood was showing the wrong dialog text after asking about the missing caravans.
  • Fixed: Mines / Traps spatial scripts had no range assigned to them.
  • Fixed: Necropolis Motel map had wrong resting settings (No,Yes,No -> No,No,No).
  • Fixed: Patrick the Celt had a dialog reaction to Aradesh being dead, but the condition was wrong, so it would never trigger.
  • Fixed: Player can enter V13 already after waiting 1 day and not 2.
  • Fixed: Player can't get the Champion reputation state anymore if he is a childkiller.
  • Fixed: Restored floating text of Glowing Ghouls in the Necropolis Vault (when talking to them after taking the water chip and not repairing the water pump. Not sure why Fixt removed this).
  • Fixed: Shady Sands would become hostile to the player, even if he kills Tandi outside of town.
  • Fixed: Sherry in Junktown would leave the map after leaving the Skulz gang. This was added by TeamX a long time ago and I have no idea why. Reverted this change for now.
  • Fixed: Sid (Hub / Beth's guard) would float a text message so fast, it was impossible to read.
  • Fixed: Some locations would not be marked as visible when asking about them in dialog.
  • Fixed: Spear-only raiders in Brotherhood encounters weren't able to use their spear. Temporarily fixed this with replacing their blue-pants look with generic leather jacket.
  • Fixed: TMA would crash when not using the Sfall Dx9 mode.
  • Fixed: The Junktown fighting match scenes will play sound effects now (punching, hitting, falling).
  • Fixed: The Skum Pitt cutscene between the Skulz ganger and Trish had no sound effects.
  • Fixed: The Mariposa entrance mutant was showing 60/50 hp for some reason. Mutants on level 1 had 49/50hp.
  • Fixed: The Tag!-perk wouldn't give +20% to the new skill as it did in Fo1.
  • Fixed: The Mr. Fixit perk would give +10% (Fo2) instead of +20% (Fo1).
  • Fixed: The dialog of Talius in the Followers library was a mess. Added new sentences to remove his amnesia, added a new quest entry to the pipboy ("Kill the leader of the mutant army in Necropolis.") and fixed his quest rewards.
  • Fixed: The fisherman and his son would reappear in encounters, even if the player killed them before.
  • Fixed: The player can't rest in encounter locations anymore if there are other critters in the map.
  • Fixed: The teacher in the Brotherhood library was supposed to randomly float text (timer event proc was missing).
  • Fixed: The wanted-sign now correctly shows the current bounty on the players head (in caps).
  • Fixed: Using a crowbar on doors would actually not do anything (Fo2 feature - Added by Killap for the UP, but it never worked).
  • Fixed: When using the stealing skill on Dogmeat, an error message would show (old Fixt code).
  • Tweaked: The Junktown guard in Killian's shop will now move closer to the good tables at night.
  • Tweaked: Added the agility-check back into the Gunrunners toxic goo spatial script (was a Fixt change?).
  • Tweaked: Hotspots in the Glow will give the player randomly 20 to 50 rads again (reverted Fixt change back to Fo1 vanilla values).
  • Tweaked: Improved the floating text code of the FoA invades at the Cathedral a bit (only one will float, not all at the same time).
  • Tweaked: In the character screen, "Karma" was called "Reputation" in Fo1.
  • Tweaked: Added a better floating text management between Guido and Leon (Hub / FLC guards), because the text was barely readable.
  • Tweaked: Moved the inventory weapons of Hub entrance guards into their off-hand slots, otherwise they would never use them.
  • Tweaked: Perk description text still had Fo2 stuff in it. Reverted it back to the Fo1 text.
  • Tweaked: Removed the locker in the V13 medical room - it wasn't there in the original.
  • Tweaked: Reverted the +20% skill bonus of the Survivalist perk. In Fo1 it doesn't give any points and is only used in calculations "behind the scenes".
  • Tweaked: Reverted the MFC / SEC item change in super mutant encounters, because they seem to drop SECs on purpose and not by bug.
  • Tweaked: Rewrote the interaction between Killian and his shopdoor. Also, the inside shopguard will react to the player now if he is found inside the building at night time.
  • Tweaked: Super Mutants in encounter maps will now start out with their weapons equipped.
  • Removed: Old code in Ian, Tycho, and Katja scripts when giving them items. Nobody used this function anyways, also it was possible to exploit their carry weight limit with this.

Find the latest release here.

The release of v1.6 is quite big again. Lots of vanilla Fo1 bugfixes, including some restorations due to that.
Personally I think that the most interesting fix in this update is related to Dan and Billy at the Hub entrance. Dan "The Brahma Man" has a daily schedule and will check on Billy (the brahmin boy) from time to time. If he sees Billy talking to the player, he will get angry and starts yelling.
What makes this interaction interesting is that it's NOT cut content. It just couldn't trigger because the brahmin pen waypoint is too far away for the ai pathfinding, thus Dan will never walk over in the first place.
It's just a small scene, but it breathes a kind of life into the world that isn't found anywhere in Fallout 2. This also makes the Hub entrance probably the one location with the most NPCs that follow a basic daily schedule. Cool.

There's also a bunch of dialog lines restored, and I've removed the amnesia from a few more NPCs who will now remember if the player has been talking to them before.

Additionally, I've restored most of the NPCs that were cut from the final game. I still think that almost all of them are shit and were cut for a good reason. Because they feel so pointless to me, I've put them behind the GVAR_ENABLE_CUT_CHARACTERS setting in the fo1_settings.ini file.

Rae in the Master's Lair is the only one that feels somewhat complete and well written. However, even here ... he can make the endgame hilariously easy, which is very likely the reason why he was cut as well.

There's also a conversation between two super mutants in the medlab which is pretty cool. I probably wouldn't mind moving that stuff into the main game directly and enable them by default. Will see what the future brings.

Anyways. That's it for now. I'll be very busy with other things in the next few weeks, so don't expect any big updates for a while.

Last edited:
Does the Mr. handy and Floating eye have any unique dialogue? Or they just there to give robot lovers something?

Do you mean in the sense of when you are traveling with them etc.? If so then no. Just the usual stuff to recruit them. After that it's just the generic companion dialog.

Hello everybody,

I find the arrow keys to move the screen too slow. Is it possible to tweak the speed of the arrow keys to move the screen faster like cursor of the mouse on the edges ?

@Lexx I have question related to this point: Tweaked: Removed the locker in the V13 medical room - it wasn't there in the original.

I think there should be also updated dialog text with medic, because dialog with him refers to locker on wall. So I think better option is place back this locker or tweak dialog with medic. What do you think about this?

Attachments

• container-medic.png
    container-medic.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 506
Yes, I forgot about the dialog - It wasn't in the vanilla game like that either.
Actually now that I think about it, I guess that's why the locker was added in the first place. The original dialog line is "If you need healing, come back here to me or use some of the stimpaks we have. You can get more stimpaks from the wall." which sounds really odd. I guess it was supposed to be there but got removed. Let's be honest, the game is easy enough already even without the extra stimpaks.

Hi, total newbie to Fallout modding and I'm running all this on Linux under Wine. I installed Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 (both from GOG), unzipped Fallout1in2 v1.6.2703 under the Fallout2 folder, extracted the Fallout 1 files using undat (tried both undat.exe under Wine and undat.sh) per instructions. All of this completes successfully every time but when I run Fallout2\Fallout1in2\Fallout2.exe it plays the intro cinematic for Fallout 1 and then just moves on to the intro for Fallout 2. I never see the Fallout 1 main menu. Am I doing something totally dumb?

The problem is very likely that sfall / ddraw.dll isn't working. There is something that needs to be done on linux, but I have no idea what exactly that is, as I don't use linux myself.

Hi, total newbie to Fallout modding and I'm running all this on Linux under Wine. I installed Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 (both from GOG), unzipped Fallout1in2 v1.6.2703 under the Fallout2 folder, extracted the Fallout 1 files using undat (tried both undat.exe under Wine and undat.sh) per instructions. All of this completes successfully every time but when I run Fallout2\Fallout1in2\Fallout2.exe it plays the intro cinematic for Fallout 1 and then just moves on to the intro for Fallout 2. I never see the Fallout 1 main menu. Am I doing something totally dumb?

try adding ddraw.dll and f2_res.dll (both native and builtin) in winecfg dll overrides. If you haven't touched upon that you've probably did not install, directX libraries either. It will be hard to run fallout without theese. anyways there are some stickies how to run Fallout on Wine under MacOS or whatever in the stickies look for your answeres there.
EDIT: while you're at it you may want to also consider adding VC++ libraries (at least 2015 if not all of them [ also both x86 and x64 ] )

I'm having issues with changing my resolution. In the current versions, the in-game menu has no effect for me, no matter what I configure, be it scale 2x, windowed, you name it. Even rebooting the game isn't guaranteed to apply my changes.

I had to roll all the way back to version 1.0 before the menu worked properly.

Try changing mode= in the ddraw.ini from Dx9 to anything else.

We didn't do any changes to the HRP. I'm guessing the Sfall graphic mode is what makes these things not work in the HPR anymore.
That being said, it all works fine for me.

Try changing mode= in the ddraw.ini from Dx9 to anything else.

We didn't do any changes to the HRP. I'm guessing the Sfall graphic mode is what makes these things not work in the HPR anymore.
That being said, it all works fine for me.

The only mode that isn't DX9 in SFALL is Mode 0 for 8-bit fullscreen.

But it worked for me so the screen config works again. Although, in theory, F2RES itself is configured by default to use DX9 so the game's probably still using it even if SFALL's settings disable it.

Thanks for the response =b

Well, the HRP has its own Dx9 mode, which runs if you disable Dx9 in Sfall. As far as I am aware, Sfall's Dx9 is better, though, and it doesn't require x2 scaling or shit like that. Just don't set a huge screen resolution.

No idea why for some people the resolution changes, etc. don't work with the current default settings. For me there are 0 issues with it.

I was thinking of setting mode=0 as default again in the ddraw.ini, but then I remember that lots of people will be blaming the Win10 alt+tab issue on ettu again ... just can't win this fight.

Back