Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Perkyguy

Perkyguy First time out of the vault

May 21, 2008
    Тhere is one particular bug which vexes the hell out of me and ruined my no-reload attempt.

The constant "aim is blocked" bug, even though i have a clear shot and it even happens when im right next to my enemy.

Im My "no reload" run, I managed to get to the final floor of the military base, level 18 from deathclaws, jacked up on drugs, no chances taken.

I engage the boss, melt his minigun cronie, try to target the rocket launcher one, but i cant due to a bogus "aim blocked".

I spend my remaining 4 shots killing the boss, and the bug-shielded rocket launcher enemy crits me for 134...

Was I pissed off.

Would it be possible to incorporate f1 to f2 engine transformation? The green friendly outline, yellow for blocked and ofc the take all button are sorely missed

2. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    Awww dammit, I didn't realize the aim blocked bug still exists. I don't understand what's causing that one. :mad: What do you mean by "constant" though? As in, you move around but it still says aim blocked?

As far as I can guess, there's two possibilities -- either it's caused by f1_res or it's caused by my implementation of the Lit Flares In Hand code.

I'm leaning towards it being the flare code, because I couldn't find any "reset light level" code or anything like that, so I had to manually test the player's default light radius until I could settle on one that appeared to be the same as vanilla game -- 75% at 6 hexes (that's 6 diameter, so 3 in each direction). I am wondering if for some reason that messes with the targeting system.

-- And engine conversion is in the works, it'll be a while before it's fully playable though (quests, random encounters, etc). It's playable now but not really as the full game experience, it's more a proof-of-concept at this stage.

Would you be willing to play the game more and try some testing for me? I'd like to send a version of the script that disables flare's level light override code, and see if that fixes the targeting issue.

3. Perkyguy

May 21, 2008

Yes. Once i get a shady "aim is blocked message" that enemy becomes immune to targeting until it moves. As I said, i've had instances where i move right next to it, and it still says i cant get a lock-on.

Never used any flares though. Dont know how that would factor in

Well, sure, I need to start another game anyway if im gona complete the no-reload thing im trying.

4. Mirak

Mirak First time out of the vault

Jul 17, 2010
    So if I'm playing 6.4 version, I can't turn Iguana Bob in?

5. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    @Perkyguy:

I checked and per the vanilla code, the water guard sleeps, so you were probably just there during evening/night hours. Between 7:00am and 6:00pm the water guard is at the door. Otherwise he's sleeping.

Here is the script for testing: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtm9fv5xtqt44i5/OBJ_DUDE.int -- this will disable all light radius changes related to Flares. I want to see if this fixes the targeting issue.

Put it into {Fallout FIXT}\DATA\SCRIPTS and say Yes to Overwrite.

---

Correct.

The way those customizations are implemented, it uses a program called sed to search and replace lines in the global variables file... but I was stupid and some of the search strings have the wrong amount of white space. So it doesn't find the string, doesn't replace it, hence the customization doesn't take effect.

I'll see if I can make an addition to the patch that enables that stuff. Or it might just wait on the installer, depends on which would take more work.

6. Perkyguy

May 21, 2008
    Playing with the new script and im up to the khans with no false"aim blocked" messages. Will edit as i go further

EDIT: so Im coming close to the mid game now and so far it seems to work.
    I did get a few instances where my aim block was spotty, but i could always fire after moving onto a hex which i knew had a clear shot

EDIT#2: I just finished the game (managed to do the no-reload thing) and i have to say, it seems to have worked. I didnt get any bogus aim blocks with the very curious exception of the very same rocket launcher mutant that killed me the first time around.

I dont know why - when im standing in front of Lou from the northwest side, it looks like i have clear shot at him and his 2 guards. I can target the one with the minigun but the bazooka one is obscured.

7. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Yeah the original game did have the occasional issue with line of sight. Never really figured that one out, I always just chalked it up to being an old game engine :shrug:

Having a hex based layout is probably the real reason though, because intuitive straight lines of sight sometimes do not exist, thus it looks valid to us but it's not because of how the grid lays out between source and target.

Thanks for testing, let me know if anything changes. I hope I don't have to get rid of the flare code completely, that would bum me out.

8. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Next version will have content in Vault 15 to correspond to "see something under the bed" and "there should be an Uzi around here" messages, both of which were stupid in original game because:

1) Fallout1 doesn't have an Uzi item.
    2) Thus, there was no Uzi to be found
    3) The room with the "under the bed" message doesn't even have a bed
    4) Nothing could ever be found under any bed.

New/changed Vault 15 content will of course vary if you're using Fixes Only.

9. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Does anyone care what order the changelog is listed in? I'm not really sure how best to organize it.

10. Salk

Salk First time out of the vault

May 5, 2010
    I don't think the order matters much. Keep up the exceptional work, Sduibek!

11. Oppen

Oppen FIXT n°1 fan

Dec 26, 2011
    I think it should be newest first, and inside any version's log, fixes first.

12. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Good points, but I do also like having them organized by type and location.

I suppose it could be both... newest at the top for each section (such as Junktown, Random Encounters, etc)

13. Mirak

Mirak First time out of the vault

Jul 17, 2010
    Is exercise sequence with brother Thomas in BOS bunker working properly? It's long time ago when I last played F1, but I remember, that you are suppose to get xp and skill raise from watching the training.
    But it seems that it's stuck in an endless loop. I tried to reload the game, but it didn't help.

Ok, I finally got it working (you're not supposed to move, is that it?). But it took several attempts, as sometimes the whole sequence didn't even start or it started, but without Thomas' initial speech and then it was not possible to get the xp and skills raise.

14. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    That script has always been unreliable, hopefully I can fix it eventually. If you go directly there the first time you visit the brotherhood it works fine, but thereafter it can get stuck like you are seeing.

15. Sentient6

Sentient6 First time out of the vault

Nov 13, 2013
    Can you re-upload the 6.4 patch again, please? I think the link is borked (or maybe that website is)...

16. Woody1987

Woody1987 First time out of the vault

Nov 13, 2013
    Dead Link for Alpha 6.4

Error (509)
    This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Can you please provide another link, I got that itch to play the Fallout series again, lol. I loaded the 6.1 patch, so I don't want to start anything until I get the newest one loaded. Thanks a ton for keeping the dream alive, wish I had enough programming knowledge to contribute.

17. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Added patch 6.4 download links for Gamefront and Rapidshare, sorry about that.

:D

18. Sentient6

Sentient6 First time out of the vault

Nov 13, 2013
    Thanks for the quick response. And thanks A LOT for working on this mod. :D

19. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    --Next version will feature completely overhauled and rebuilt Random Encounter randomizer--

EDIT: There will be some installer options for this now. Player will be able to choose:

1) Chance of each encounter type is based on player Luck and chosen game difficulty. (closest to Vanilla functionality)
    2) Chance of each encounter type is based only on chosen game difficulty and chosen combat difficulty.
    3) Chance of each encounter type is based only on player level.
    4) Chance of each encounter does not ever change -- it's 11%/18%/20%/20%/18%/11% as you can see below.

20. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Next version will also feature improved weapon drop mod code (backend, you won't notice), option to destroy armor on killed critters (for "more challenge" or whatever), and improved rads-from-critters code (you might notice the change).

I forgot that vanilla had 7 scripts that had a 1/6 chance of giving player 1 rad when hit, so i've restored those if player selected Fixes Only, but now you actually get a message notifying of the rads. I never knew vanilla had this feature, because of the lack of notification.