Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. mrbasedog

mrbasedog First time out of the vault

Feb 24, 2014
    plz respon

I've been playing the full Fallout Fixt installation and have come across a problem I'm having. When I reach The Master's lair and have a bit of a palaver with him, I crash straight afterwards if I convince him to give it up. If you tell The Master about the flaw in his plan, I get a black screen followed by a referenced memory error. I'm hoping it doesn't have to do with the fact that I'm supposed to have Vree's disk on me as I get rid of my disks once I've uploaded the information to my Pip-Boy. I have also got a savegame if it's not the aforementioned problem. Thanks.

https://mega.co.nz/#!3Epx3KYQ!abPvZD6KileddwSrnBrqwO1aAq5AYhxXt56B3g-PZsU

EDIT: I decided to load from that exact save and explore the elevator in the northwest area of level 3. I went down killed the two super mutants that were guarding the nuclear bomb then went to go and face The Master. I saved in a different slot before going to kill the bastard, but before doing so I decided to try to get him to kill himself again. Lo and behold it worked. I don't know why the hell it worked all of a sudden, but I'll leave my save up if you want to take a look at the problem I was having anyway.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    @mrbasedog Thank you, I thought that one was fixed but I guess not; I'll take a look.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  3. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    New patch will be out this week; promise. Honestly I don't think I can fix the holodisk crashes for 100% of people -- I still can't get all of them to stop crashing on my system -- but I think it should fix "most" of them.

COMING UP: After the crash-fix patch, I will work on the last anticipated major installer release of Fixt. This will include the Spanish, French, and Czech translations. After that, I will be focusing on the engine conversion exclusively (see my signature) for the future of Fixt.

Group hug <3

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  4. Salk

Salk First time out of the vault

May 5, 2010
    An excellent plan!

We're keeping our fingers crossed. :wink:

5. IYouI

IYouI First time out of the vault

Dec 15, 2013
    Good to hear about it.

6. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Patch released. I apologize for the delay, I was hoping to get it out this weekend.

Fixt alpha 6.7.3 fixes:
    - Crash when giving holodisk to Cabbot
    - Crash when giving holodisk to Jon
    - Crash when giving holodisk to The Master
    - Crash when killing someone with explosives (this is actually a vanilla bug, unlike the others. Thank you to Darek and JimTheDinosaur for code/assistance)

Get it here.

You can verify it installed by clicking Credits from the main menu.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  7. Salk

Salk First time out of the vault

May 5, 2010
    Fantastic! Thanks, Sduibek!

8. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    I just want to say Thank You to everyone here. The support, feedback, savegames, patience, etc., is all greatly appreciated.

-

Speaking of which, I need to know if people are still getting crashes with alpha 6.7.3, so start testing! :P

9. Oracle

Oracle Vault Senior Citizen

May 19, 2003
    Congratz with this release!
    Looking forward in seeing if you be able to port(?) Fallout 1 into 2 engine.

isn't porting it to FOnline engine more easy btw?

Anyway Goodluck!!

10. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks!

Definitely when, not if. :) With any luck, the first release should be within the next few months.

My main concerns once I start releasing with Fo2 engine is the customizations staying intact, and then restoring lost features like the Days Left sticky-note and Ask Me About in dialog. (Ask Me About will probably take over a hundred hours because I'll have to built it all manually)

Not that I'm aware of. From what I've heard, FOnline is a totally different language and a different engine from Fallout2 even. Whereas Fallout2 is essentially just "Fallout engine 2.0" (literally) because it's the same engine in a lot of ways, just with a bunch of new features, and more modular, etc. For the end-user though the biggest differences between Fo1 & Fo2 engines is pretty small - Take All button, 5 digits in Item Move screen instead of 3, option to avoid random encounters, etc.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  11. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    It's useless, poorly implemented feature - it's good that it's gone in Fallout 2.

Besides, dialogue window will look like shit when you'll add tell-me-abouts to it. Also, tell-me-about without typing what would like to know isn't tell-me-about "feature" anymore. Sometimes it's better to not touch something... than make some weirdo out of it.

-----------------------EDIT

Tell-me-about has one condition that tells the engine if the button is pressable, or not - you'll have to add it to, and checking this condition may be gone Fallout 2 engine.

12. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Hey there, nice to see you in this thread again :)

Well my plan would be to just add "Tell me about..." as lowest option, and then from there have the selections you would have had. In other words, the same format/approach already used in Fallout & 2 & 3.

13. MasacruAlex

MasacruAlex First time out of the vault

Jun 2, 2013
    is this included in 6.7.3?

14. Continuum

Continuum Vault Fossil

Nov 8, 2006
    It's up to you, really. Personally I much prefer single, longer Reply from NPC, "naturally" integrated into the dialogue than this.

Anyway, are there any chances to preserve script based random encounters? Unless Fallout 2's txt is flexible as scripts are...

15. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Yes. Crash when showing Cabbot evidence that you visited The Glow should now be fixed. If not, please let me know. Thanks!

Currently yes, research from Darek, and Cubik2k before him, confirms that it's possible. However, the Fo2 engine is hard-coded to generate the "You encounter X Y Z" automatically, so you'll get two messages each encounter. This is not avoidable. Hence why the plan is to ultimately convert them all to the Fallout 2 tables, as this is a far superior platform for many reasons. Fo2 tables are actually significantly more flexible :D Although more time-consuming to build (& maybe to maintain) its definitely worth the effort.

Some example advantages of using the Fallout 2 table is that I can add a large number of new encounters - each area in Fo1 only has 6 - and add better support for Special encounters. And I don't mean explicitly new encounters like CoC members (although that is a cool idea), I mostly mean just variations of the existing encounters so it doesn't feel so procedural after you've played for a long time. Also, in Fo1 the areas are hard-coded and cannot be changed. i.e. "area 1" is a certain section of squares on the map and cannot be modified. Whereas in Fallout 2 tables, I can do anything I want with any squares. This is important because some of the areas in Fo1 are pretty stupid how they mapped them out.

By the way, thank you for the scripts for Lenore and such, from 2011 I think. I finally got those implemented in something like version alpha 5 or 6. (I'm quick like that. :roll:)

16. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Troubleshooting for those of you still getting crashes that 6.7.3 was supposed to fix:

- Still crashes giving the holodisk to Jon.
    1) Interact with the holodisk in any way. The easiest is to hover the mouse over it, so that you get the "You see: Regulator Transmissions Disk" message.
    2) Try to show him the disk again; it shouldn't crash now.

- Still crashes trying to join the Brotherhood of Steel
    1) Interact with the holodisk in any way. The easiest is to hover the mouse over it, so that you get the "You see: Ancient Brotherhood Disk" message.
    2) Try again; it shouldn't crash now.

- Still crashes trying to leave the Brotherhood of Steel
    1) Replace BROHDENT.SAV in the crashing savegame's folder with a known non-crashing copy.
    2) For example if slot 5 is crashing but slot 4 isn't, go into {Fallout Fixt]\DATA\SAVEGAME\SLOT04 and copy BROHDENT.SAV, then paste it into {Fallout Fixt]\DATA\SAVEGAME\SLOT05
    3) Obviously, say "Yes" to prompt to overwrite the file.
    4) Try again; it shouldn't crash now.

17. coldroll

coldroll Fuck Bethesda

Jul 4, 2012

I thought the tell me about feature was pretty cool for a game from 1997, but you're right it wasn't implemented properly and that's why they cut it in Fallout 2. It's kind of a shame they didn't work on it and implement it better.

18. phillon

phillon First time out of the vault

Jul 23, 2013
    Thank you for the update to FIXT Sduibek, and really looking forward to your project of F1 -> F2 engine conversion. Will be donating some more to you soon.

19. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks guys :) @phillon you're the best :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  20. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014