Fallout 1 mod Fallout Fixt - next release will be some time in Jan 2020

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Sduibek, Dec 15, 2010.

1. A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot First time out of the vault

Jul 28, 2012
    So I've never played fallout before, and I'll be running it in PlayOnLinux on a 1.6Ghz, 1GB, onboard graphics machine. Should I use the Fixt mod from the getgo? Or should I play through it without mods first?

Basically, does Fixt change the gameplay besides fixes? And will it run on those specs?

Thanks!

2. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
    I don't think you'll have a problem running it, with the hardware specs anyway. I'm not familiar with PlayOnLinux however.

I just read through my entire change log and the only thing I think could be annoying to a first-timer is a couple new characters in Shady Sands that are implemented pretty badly at the moment, but they're unimportant characters in the storyline anyway. The only other thing is being still in progress, you may get crashes in some areas.

I think as long as you save often in multiple save slots (which you should be doing anyway, mod or not!) you'll be fine. The stuff I've added that actually changes the "feel" can be disabled during install (invasions, weapon drop).

3. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    For those looking forward to the loader, good news: I'll be taking a class in C++ next quarter (this begins Sept 19 IIRC) so by the end of the year I should have a sufficiently functioning loader that is cross-platform and won't require any DLLs or .NET Framework. Sweet!

4. pseudoname

pseudoname First time out of the vault

Jul 29, 2012
    So can this work on the gog version? if so how do i do it(don't know that much about computers)?

5. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Yes it should work just fine with GOG version.

Shit I forgot to tell you HOW to do it. I missed that part of your post somehow. :oops:

You need to install FIXT on top of the GOG folder, which is something like C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Fallout (or if you're 32-bit OS, just C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Fallout

Just install FIXT on top of that and you'll be good. You do, however, also need to download the patch, but the "install" (extract) of this is the same -- just extract it on top of your Fallout folder.

6. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Someone mentioned that The Glow's radiation is too high (I raised it a quite a bit over the vanilla values) -- I am reducing some of the numbers now, but the main change in Alpha 5 will be that the rads received will scale based on game difficulty selected.

Should I do this with all instances of radiation and poison received from monsters and locations?

[Radiation from, for example, fruit is hard-coded and cannot be scaled this way]

7. Salk

Salk First time out of the vault

May 5, 2010
    Yes.

8. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    I agree. I started playing with this and it's going to be awesome. Setting the game to Hard will actually be hard. :twisted:

For some dumb reason I hadn't scaled anything based on difficulty before. This opens up lots of fun possibilities.

9. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
  10. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    I think NPCs only being able to level-up twice is stupid. I think they should level up every 4 or 5 player levels, but also match your level -- for example if you first hire Tycho at level 15, he shouldn't be Rank 1, he should be Rank 3 or so.

Examples:

Code:
    Player lvl	Hireling lvl
    1				1
    5				2
    9				3
    13			  4
    17			  5
    21			  6

[OR]

1				1
    6				2
    11			  3
    16			  4
    21			  5

Hmm... I think I like the second one better. What do you think?

11. Salk

Salk First time out of the vault

May 5, 2010
    I also like the second one better.

12. PaladinBreach

PaladinBreach First time out of the vault

May 7, 2012
    Main Menu Issues

I'm actually having issues with the main menu screens... To be more specific my mouse isn't moving at all in the main menus.

13. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Re: Main Menu Issues

Go into ddraw.ini and make sure BackgroundKeyboard and BackgroundMouse are set to zero (0). If that doesn't help, try the reverse (setting them to 1)

14. PaladinBreach

May 7, 2012
    Re: Main Menu Issues

My ddraw.ini has some things i've changed to it... like the screen size, and WorldMap. Will these changes effect it?

15. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Those shouldn't affect the mouse.

16. PaladinBreach

May 7, 2012
    Hey, I know you gave me those tips, but my mouse still isn't moving. I changed those mouse commands around in the ddraw.ini, but still my mouse ins't moving.

17. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Wow this is crazy... what if you rename or move either of the ddraw files? That will tell us if the issue is coming from that plugin itself. If so, grab the newest version here and try again--

http://www.mediafire.com/?dudj56e3vvzag75

18. PaladinBreach

May 7, 2012
    Ok I'll give you the feedback after I try this.

19. PaladinBreach

May 7, 2012
    Hey, I did exactly what you said, and I still didn't get it moving, but it was on top of the Load Game I clicked, and then it crashed

20. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Weird...

Okay, try this:

Run the f1_res_patcher and select to REMOVE the hi-res patch.
    move ddraw.ini, ddraw.dll, f1_res.ini, and f1_res.dll out from your Fallout FIXT folder.
    Run the game directly from FalloutW.exe (no .bat files or anything)

What happens then?