Fallout: New Vegas preview

Per

Vault Consort
Staff member
Admin
Australian PC PowerPlay magazine posted a preview of New Vegas, putting a fedora and a tommy-gun on their cover Vault Boy. It's a paper thing so I'm just going to let The Vault blogger Nytewolf deliver the sweet bullet point notes.<blockquote>
  • New Wild Wasteland trait, which unlocks wackier variants of existing content.
  • From a design and technical point of view, it made sense not to continue the story of the Lone Wanderer.
  • New Vegas is a fortress.
  • Sidequests may be more rewarding than the main quest.
  • Critical path is only 20% of the main game.
  • Epic moments, like Liberty Primes trip through DC, will litter the critical path.
  • Unique dialog for low intelligence characters.
  • Survival skill, for cooking at a campfire.
  • Certain drinks will dehydrate you in hardcore mode.
  • Some areas may have vegetation.
  • Converting a mod to work with the new tool kit will require some work, but is relatively simple.
  • This is the Fallout game that Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer wanted to make.
</blockquote>Critical path is 20% of the main game? So is the main game like 20% of the full game? Big game! Or small critical path. Or I'm getting something wrong, which would be the first time ever.

Thanks to Ausir.

New Wild Wasteland trait, which unlocks wackier variants of existing content.

This I hate, because I have a trait with exactly the same effect / function in my Fallout 2 mod. And now everyone will think that I got the idea from there. :(

And this...
This is the Fallout game that Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer wanted to make.
... is somehow sad, imo.

Don't think id be a great idea to just let anyone in, plus in some E3 videos you see a gate with watch towers flanking it.

Skynet said:
Per said:
[*] New Vegas is a fortress.

I hope that doesn't mean that you can enter the city from a certain checkpoints (gates) only.

It most likely will be, just like Megaton, a own loading zone. So yes, a gate to change the locations is the most obvious.

Man, I fucking hated that Liberty Prime scene.

I know the kids just love that shit, but when your "CRITICAL SCENE" fucks up even more than your other stuff...

Fun story: My first playthrough, Liberty Prime launched straight up into the air. I thought it was supposed to and patiently waited for him to return, but much like The Iron Giant, it never happened.

That out of the way, everything else sounds honkey dorey.

Really? Because I didn't have any problems with that scene, and I thought it was damn cool. Explosions going off, helicopters flying around, shooting everywhere. With that much action, your machine maybe just couldn't take it. The Black Isle Studios developers probably like that stuff, they probably aren't a bunch of critical action game haters. The time of "boring" RPGs is over, and now it is action RPGs that we will be seeing. I don't like it too much either, but that is how it is. We lose intricate attention to the plot, but we gain nice visuals, audio, and an easier learning curve. To me, that is a fine trade off. I am guessing it aint for you though...

Sing Around The Campfire!!1!

Sing Around The Campfire!!1!

Per's Report of PC PP said:
... Survival skill, for cooking at a campfire. ...

Recalled burning pancakes over a smokey fire.

The American hearth, once a television, returns to it's pyrotechnic roots.

In FO tradition will there be recipes for Pig-rat In A Blanket ...

will campfire singing enhance healing and charisma?

And, through the power of Youtube, shall cast this arcane memory into this brave new poly-identity revolving gateway ....

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=snYlkOd6F2w

Another possible scenario of Girls Gone Wild?

I'm damp with anticipation ....

4too

Per said:
Australian PC PowerPlay magazine posted a preview of New Vegas, putting a fedora and a tommy-gun on their cover Vault Boy. It's a paper thing so I'm just going to let The Vault blogger Nytewolf deliver the sweet bullet point notes.<blockquote>
  • New Wild Wasteland trait, which unlocks wackier variants of existing content.
  • From a design and technical point of view, it made sense not to continue the story of the Lone Wanderer.
  • New Vegas is a fortress.
  • Sidequests may be more rewarding than the main quest.
  • Critical path is only 20% of the main game.
  • Epic moments, like Liberty Primes trip through DC, will litter the critical path.
  • Unique dialog for low intelligence characters.
  • Survival skill, for cooking at a campfire.
  • Certain drinks will dehydrate you in hardcore mode.
  • Some areas may have vegetation.
  • Converting a mod to work with the new tool kit will require some work, but is relatively simple.
  • This is the Fallout game that Chris Avellone and Josh Sawyer wanted to make.
</blockquote>Critical path is 20% of the main game? So is the main game like 20% of the full game? Big game! Or small critical path. Or I'm getting something wrong, which would be the first time ever.

Thanks to Ausir.

now THIS is what going to make me want to play this game, not what was shown in E3. i hope they keep it up because its sound interesting

bhlaab said:
Per said:
Epic moments, like Liberty Primes trip through DC, will litter the critical path.

Ugghhnnnn I HATE "epic moments"

Every genre has it's own epic- getting the right scale of epic for the genre is the problem. For some genre's the right scale of epic is actually rather small- only fantasy and anime inspired sci fi (sic) can get away with one hero versus a giant monster for instance.

That is to say- Fallout can have epic moments, but it's important for it to fit into the setting and the story being told.

Games reviewers constantly rat on certain games and series for having long cutscenes or conversations with NPCs (Metal Gear gets a lot of this) on the basis that it's a game not a movie or a novel. Personally, no matter how convoluted and silly the plot is, a long time of me not playing because I'm getting exposition is much better than a protracted period of me not playing because all there is to do at this bit is watch the invincible giant robot kill everything while the player character walks slowly behind it.

sarfa said:
bhlaab said:
Per said:
Epic moments, like Liberty Primes trip through DC, will litter the critical path.

Ugghhnnnn I HATE "epic moments"

Every genre has it's own epic- getting the right scale of epic for the genre is the problem. For some genre's the right scale of epic is actually rather small- only fantasy and anime inspired sci fi (sic) can get away with one hero versus a giant monster for instance.

That is to say- Fallout can have epic moments, but it's important for it to fit into the setting and the story being told.

Games reviewers constantly rat on certain games and series for having long cutscenes or conversations with NPCs (Metal Gear gets a lot of this) on the basis that it's a game not a movie or a novel. Personally, no matter how convoluted and silly the plot is, a long time of me not playing because I'm getting exposition is much better than a protracted period of me not playing because all there is to do at this bit is watch the invincible giant robot kill everything while the player character walks slowly behind it.

Fallout's "epic" moments are either entirely player-created (such as taking on the militant LA Boneyard guards or Metzger's slavers in the Den) or emotionally understated such as coming face to face with the Master.

What I fear is large scripted sequences where the whole idea is "watch the cool pssudo-cutscene we made!" instead of playing the game. Like Liberty Prime kicking ass while the player stares down at his or her shoelaces, or the battle outside of Galaxy News Radio where you're forced to make buddies with the BoS and take down the behemoth with a fatman. These steal agency away from the player simply because the game momentarily feels like it wants to look cool instead of being well designed or fun to play.

Lexx said:
New Wild Wasteland trait, which unlocks wackier variants of existing content.
This I hate, because I have a trait with exactly the same effect / function in my Fallout 2 mod. And now everyone will think that I got the idea from there. :(
Yeah, good thing you mentioned that after Obsessedian announced their feature, you plagiarist!

To be honest, I think they hacked their way into your PC.

To be uber-honest, I really wouldn't bother commenting anything in this thread if you weren't mentioning your mod, which I'm eagerly awaiting to play.

Back