Fallout: New Vegas stuff

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Per, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Sam Ecorners

Sam Ecorners Vault Senior Citizen
    Orderite

Jan 23, 2007
    I'm sorry, but it sounds like it's just a fancy model. Maybe really clean one, with a color screen, that's all. It is a better model, essentially, hence "3 billion".

2. Tails

Tails It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 18, 2006
    I never killed Children in Shady Sands so dunno, I remember that there was one in Killan's room. Anyway, Reconite was talking about Red Ryder LE BB Gun (modified version of original) which does damage for 25-25 point and was only in Fallout 2. The one in Fallout 1 called Red Ryder BB Gun is not even good for killing rats, since it does only 1-3 damage.

3. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008
    The LE BB Gun was in Fallout 1 too, you get it off Bob's Car Mart random encounter. I blew the Master to pieces with it.

4. Tails

Tails It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 18, 2006
    My mistake, indeed it was there. Still this is a really hard to get stuff like Alien Blaster, since you need to get the encounter. In Fallout 2 you could practically buy it in NCR or find it somewhere else.

5. sampson70

sampson70 Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 1, 2009
    over all your right... but a couple of side quest like Agatha's song & Rockopolis were hard to find.

6. Blackfang

Blackfang First time out of the vault

Jun 21, 2010
    In FO3 radio stations were indeed stupid, but I got the impression, that in NV the stations would represent different factions, so I think, they can do something sensible of them. At least I hope so...

And the Pip-Boy and other shiny things... I guess, that's just a necessary evil these days. How pissed off I was about the ridiculous-looking swords in NWN2...

7. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    Radio stations aren't a bad idea but in FO3 were idiotic considering that there were only small settlements and there was nothing to talk about (other than "be careful of [insert dangerous thing]").

In NV it makes more sense since cities and settlements are organized (and therefore it would make sense even if it broadcasted only music), can talk of news regarding the west coast or the struggle between the NCR, Caesar's Legion and the NV folks.

[spoiler:e30858caa0][/spoiler:e30858caa0]
    I guess I'm not the only one.

I remember that in one of my playtrough I stumbled (for the first time ever, even) on Bob's Pre-owned Car Mart on my way to Shady Sands. :lol:

8. tekhedd

tekhedd Hoarding ammo IS gameplay

Oct 28, 2008
    You're right--if we had radio technology, we'd use it to broadcast things that improve quality of life, like one song and then 45 minutes of commercials. You know, like we do now. And lots of propaganda. Hmm. This is sounding familiar actually.

9. TychoXI

TychoXI Still Mildly Glowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Well maybe the fault rests with developers. Shooters can't really blend with such RPG mechanics, to me at least it seems a certain level of abstraction needs to be present. But no! We need immersion and graphic realism... I'm not saying it's impossible to have a RPG in first or third person shooter view and keep it RPGy, but it's not simple.

And I liked the radios idea as it was in FO3. There were two radios and both were used for propaganda (well, [intelligence] Three Dog was also helping da people!) and kept by highly technological and ordered factions, I don't really see the stupidity in that. Besides they had the only decent voice acting in the whole game, yeah both Three Dog and Mr. Alex DeLarge did great work. It did get annoying after hearing the same over and over again, but overall it was neat. Besides it also gave the option to pick up signals and discover locations (which was totally overdone of course). I think that a place like the Sierra Army depot from FO2 would have been the kind of thing to discover by some lucky, random signal reception.

10. tekhedd

tekhedd Hoarding ammo IS gameplay

Oct 28, 2008
    To be honest, though... even all of the dozens of nitpicky things together wouldn't, and didn't ruin the experience for me. The problem is that it was boring. I didn't care about the people I was doing missions for. Exploring did not reward me. So, I would look for fun in the crafting, or in the combat, or somewhere! But no part of the experience stands out as exceptional, and all you notice is that there's a lot of stupid stuff. If the core gameplay and story had been exceptionally compelling, these would be nit-picks. But instead they are the most noticeable part of the experiernce.

So... these could be nit-picks, or they could not. It depends on the story, characters, and zone design, doesn't it? We shall see!

11. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    What source of income has Three Dog? How does he survive? People give him caps to thank him because he broadcasts the sparse/non-existent news of a disorganized area that apparently has no connection with the rest of the continent?

12. sampson70

Dec 1, 2009
    I liked him..at least he had personalty.

13. sampson70

Dec 1, 2009
    Whatever ,I want my blinged out pip-boy man! :D

14. TheGM

TheGM The voice of reason

Aug 19, 2008
    This over-reaction and over-selling of every lil' thing is staring to get old.

15. sampson70

Dec 1, 2009
    Obsidian"s writing is good ,but not perfect...Alpha Protocol had some wtf writing moments too.

16. Ravager69

Ravager69 Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 21, 2007
    BoS is protecting him - it would be safe to assume that they also supply him. I mean how much can he eat?

17. Eternal

Eternal Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2008
    "Paper has TWO sides? You lost me."

The blinged out pip boy is fine, I can deal with that. And I felt that as a whole radio stations were a good IDEA that just needed to be implemented a little differently.

18. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    Famous last words.

19. sampson70

Dec 1, 2009
    Keyword "joke" that is really all this is.Most people bitched about fo3 not having enough humor,now that it's being added (tranny sm) ...people are still not happy! :crazy:

20. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    People (at least here) bitched not at the lack of humour, but rather it's quality, which was on par with the toilet stall graffiti.