Fallout: The Frontier trailer

After all the non-excitement about Fallout 76, here's a trailer for the upcoming Fallout: New Vegas mod Fallout: The Frontier.

The mod takes place in Portland, Oregon, and depicts a war between the NCR and the Legion, switching to a frozen wasteland setting instead of the classic desert.
More information on the mod can be found on their website:
http://www.falloutthefrontier.com/

Jesus, everytime I saw a new content from this mod I can't help but think that all these vehicles are a huge HUUUUUUGE waste of effort.

Other then that, looks really awesome. I actually love the fact that they've focused on NCRxLegion instead of going on the obvious route, which would be NCRxBoS.

Love the wendigo creature.

What kinda of alternate reality is this where indie devs make relatively high quality games for free, instead of releasing them at full retail prices on Steam? Have we gone back to 2009 or something?

D
So a brigade or w/e left the NCR because they didn't want to fight the Legion, deserting the NCR outright, only to somehow end up in Portland and end up fighting the Legion, but with a lot of gear and vehicles. Right.

The website goes into further detail on the story.

"Thee NCR is ready to crumble under the Legion’s onslaught. Some realize drastic measures must be taken to ensure their survival. General Blackthorne is one of them, and knows things have to change. He begged President Kimball to employ harsher strategies to crush the Legion frontline, but Kimball was unwilling to listen.

Displeased with the NCR brass’s lackadaisical approach, Blackthorne called them out- first privately, then publicly. Concern over the impending Legion assault soon grew into a panic- and spread like wildfire. Held captive by their fear, the public majority cried out to support Blackthorne and his proposals. Spurred on by the widespread popularity, The General seized this moment and called for Kimball’s resignation.

Feeling pressured, Kimball took the coward’s way out, and sent Blackthorne and his ilk into exile- north to a harsh, frozen wasteland known only as- The Frontier. Out of sight and out of mind, Blackthorne struggled against not only The Frontier, but also relentless Legion attacks.

Many of Blackthorne’s men succumbed to the extreme conditions. Blackthorne refused to bend to Mother Nature and vowed to prevail against all odds, then return to the Mojave to restore order. Fueled by sheer determination and discipline, Blackthorne rebuilt his army.

Intel had been spotty- Blackthorne was surprised to learn a sizable Legion force would exist so far from the Mojave… but Legion is Legion. The Frontier was loaded with pre-war technology and military equipment.

His aim is to destroy the Legion, uncover and claim The Frontier’s secrets, and finally start the long journey back to the Mojave to take what’s rightfully his."

i'm always in favor of fanmade games but from the video and their website i get the feeling that they are newcomers to the series who haven't play or don't care for the original games, only gamebryo-fallouts. not saying it's something bad but i doubt i'm the target audience. besides, it looks more like an action-oriented shooter than an rpg and this engine is a terrible choice for that

They're a really talented bunch of modders, so I give them some slack on story and lore. It's a free game-sized mod that's at least more spiritually connected to Fallout than anything Bethesda queefs out these days. The fact they've managed to add things that Bethesda fanboys have been clamoring for years [Vehicles, space missions] only cements what a bunch of working stiff hacks Bethesda really are. I cannot wait to see this sucker in action.

i'm always in favor of fanmade games but from the video and their website i get the feeling that they are newcomers to the series who haven't play or don't care for the original games, only gamebryo-fallouts. not saying it's something bad but i doubt i'm the target audience. besides, it looks more like an action-oriented shooter than an rpg and this engine is a terrible choice for that

To answer your corcerns:

Me: While I am excited for the Frontier, one thing worries me. The trailers so far, while they had great atmosphere, they focused primarily on action sequences and stuff blowing up. Not trying to be rude or anything, but I hope the narrative, characters are more akin to Fallout 1/2/New Vegas. Fallout is an RPG first, shooter second.

User1:
I assume they're just showing action as to not spoil any interesting plot points.
It's better to go into any game blind in terms of the story.

User2;
My only hope is that the player isn't burned out due to all the insane stuff happening. From what I've seen, the characters and individual stories(like the unsafe harbor) are top notch

There is one quest on YouTube unsafe harbour. I have not watched IT , to not spoil myself.

Console kids are like: ''on which console will be this out''? Lol None kids nada! You have FO4 and F76 for this. :P

Gameplay looks excellent. Really excited for it.

However, the "team" page worries me (cant link because spam flagged). Supposedly the entire writing team has been retired? I don't know if its because that's all done and coding is all that's left. Either a great sign or a terrible one, fingers crossed.

The Frontier will have quests and side-quests. But don't expect something like Fallout New Vegas or older Fallout games. The focus is a bit more on action/combat.

Anyway, I really need to play this when it's out and I find the time for games again.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSHO1BANG
You can find the dev walkthroughs of the first quest on this channel (spoiler warning!). It incorporates plenty of RPG elements and even builds on NV's mechanics with mechanics like hidden skill checks. The RPG elements seem to be there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSHO1BANG
You can find the dev walkthroughs of the first quest on this channel (spoiler warning!). It incorporates plenty of RPG elements and even builds on NV's mechanics with mechanics like hidden skill checks. The RPG elements seem to be there.
Problem with big mods like Frontier is that every quest designer has some number of quests to make that they work on separately, so while Safe Harbour has so many choices not all quests will give so many roleplaying options.

Problem with big mods like Frontier is that
They are not only not managed properly, not only every team member works with different workload and contributes differently and so, it's impossible to plan out any milestones. But the fact that many crucial team member may or may not hit "these days" and retire for far too long and stall the mod progress.

Creating big mods is always a huge question mark. A ton of different modders came onto the Frontier, worked on a few things and left. The Frontier will have a variety of content, including a ton of unique never seen before stuff. Most of the time there is a steady rate of modders joining and leaving. The biggest reason why the Frontier is still alive is because of the core members. These core members created some of the most endorsed mods on the Nexus. Now all of these talented modders are working on the Frontier.

Back