Favourite Genre

rcorporon

So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
Orderite
I can't (or don't know how) to make polls, so I'll make a poll type thread.

What's your favourite genre of game? (see my definitions below)
- cRPG
- action RPG
- JRPG
- strategy RPG
- FPS
- racing / driving sim
- flight sim
- RTS
- MMO
- 3rd person action
- sports sim
- something I've missed

=====

Since people's definitions of games can differ (especially "RPG") I'll offer what I feel qualifies for the purposes of this poll:
- cRPG = computer RPG that tries to emulate the old pen & paper RPG's ie: Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc

- action RPG = also called "western RPG" that focuses on action ie: Mass Effect

- JRPG = Japanese RPG that tends to put storytelling at the forefront ie: Final Fantasy

- strategy RPG = turn based RPG ie: Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics

- FPS = First Person shooter ie: DOOM

- racing / driving sim = I'm lumping in both arcade and sim racers

- flight sim = both combat and non-combat ie: MS Flight Sim, IL2, etc

- RTS = real time strategy ie: Dawn of War, Starcraft, Dune II

- MMO = persistent online game ie: WoW, Everquest

- 3rd person action = games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Gears of War

- sports sim = any sport sim ie: NHL, NFL, etc

====

For me I had to really think about what my choice would be. When I was younger I played tons and tons of flight sims. Hours of my youth were spent battling in the skies over Europe in my ME262... however, there hasn't been a good flight sim since IL2, IMO.

So, my pick would probably go to the jRPG. I've been a fan of jRPG's since I first popped Final Fantasy 1 into my NES so many years ago. Since that day I've played countless jRPG's and spent thousands of hours in these types of games. I love a variety of games, but none more than the jRPG.

What would be your choice?

I guess I'd rate cRPG's and action RPG's as equal favorites, then throw in FPS and MMO at second place. jrpg's used to be my favorite but I grew sick of them. besides, no jrpg will ever come close to FFVII so after playing that I kinda don't bother anymore. I also dabble in the occasional RTS and 3rd person action so I guess those come at third place.

I dunno, I don't usually stick to a genre, I like good games from ALL genres, but ONLY good ones.

Usually tend to stick to cRPG, shooters and strategy RPGs. I play some 3rd person stuff once in a while, but mostly Devil May Cry lately, and I usually tend to enjoy 3rd person action as long as it's mostly HtH and not too focused on shooting (in fact I tend to consider TP action and TPS two different genres).

JRPG is OK, but gameplay bores the hell out of me most of the time - it's so bare and repetitive unless it's mostly action-oriented like Ys or Seiken Densetsu series (well, there's some interesting stuff but most mainstream is more uninventive than today's ARPG). sRPG is just seriously superior, especially if it's cross-genre'd to a VN. Not to mention that it's been sort of hard to find a JRPG with a decent story lately, so I'd rather prefer to read a VN or watch an anime instead to not have to deal with yawn-inducing game systems.

Also, what you missed: TBS and fighter, two major genres. I suck at fighters but love GGXX; I also love the TBS genre (Civ, Disciples, HOMM), so I'm even a bit offended that you forgot to mention this awesome genre >___< Disciples 2 is seriously one of the best games I've encountered. I play it to this day.

cRPGs. Followed at equal distance by action RPGs, tactical RPGs, TBSs (not sure why you list RTSs but not those) and side-scrollers (platformers and beat-em-ups), which followed again at some distance by RTSs and puzzle games. Oh, and FPS/TPSs and third-person action games I guess, but then we're really no longer in "favourite" territory.

I don't like being genre-bound.

To me cRPG genre will always be my favorite; not all cRPGs are great, but the few that are really outweigh all other genres for me. It usually yields decent RPGs to this day.

It's closely followed by jRPGs, and some strategy/tactical RPGs together, which had their time, but their genre has recently shown nothing as grand as in the golden 90s, so I just enjoy this genre by playing older games; and of course, waiting anxiously for the translation of certain titles which seem awesome but were only released in Japan.

RTS and TBS are both at an equal third place, as I find both equally enjoyable, though not as often as the two above.

Action-oriented games like most side-scrollers, FPS, and third person games are the last genre-wise, and I lump them together because in all of them I seek intelligent playability combined with straightforward advancement.

Considering I play EU3 nearly every day, I'm surprised I forgot TBS as well... same with fighters...

Lots of cRPG fans here...not a big surprise though.

No flight sim fans?

CRPG's and FPS games are the top two types of games i usually play.
Planescape:Torment, Fallout, Half-Life 1-2 etc.

Flight simulators are also a lot of fun. Though i prefer the ones that include bombs and machineguns. IL:2

Strategy games are also among my favourite types of games. HOI2, EU3.

RTS games are also quite fun, though i dont play them as much anymore. C&C Red Alert, Starcraft, etc.

Then there is Silent Hunter 3. My god the hours i wasted with that game. Chasing convoys. Making firing solutions.

cRPG with just about everything else tied second. Except for JRPGs which I can't stand and sports games which I've never felt a desire to play.

I would say.... RTS, adventure games (Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis comes to mind), FPS and non-japanese RPG's.

Arr0nax said:
What do you prefer :

-Books
-Movies
-VideoGames
-Food
-Sleep
-Sex
-Friends

LET'S MAKE A POLL

Sex and sleep. Preferably at the same time.

As for the other "poll", cRPG all the way. Number one.

I'll tie TBS and RTS as number two. But I prefer them to be somewhat historical related. As in something like Europa Universalis, Civilization, or Hearts of Iron. I'm not really into the sci fi/fantasy games so much. Which is strange because I love it for rpgs.

Third will probably be platformers. I spent all of my childhood playing games like Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man. And hell, I still do.

Professor Danger! said:
Sex and sleep. Preferably at the same time.
I laughed.

To rcorporon's topic question:
FPS, cRPG, RTS and other stuff.

My mind is very mixed when it comes to game genres, but from what I've listed I actually mean old games with these genres, because all new games tend to be dumbed down rubbish (in my honest opinion).

FPS = Doom, Doom II, Final Doom, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Wolfenstein 3D, Rise of the Triad, Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, Hexen, Half-Life, and a lot more. I'd say FPS is easily my favourite genre.

cRPG, well, to be a honest. I've never really gone past Fallout and Fallout 2 with this genre (but they are easily some of my favourite games of all time), I am planning on getting Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, etc., because of all the recommendations and good thoughts of them people on NMA (and other places) have.

RTS, the Command and Conquer series is only where I've been with this also, planning on trying some others.

I'm a huge Fallout fan with over 10,000 posts on a CRPG fansite, so clearly my favorite genre has to be sport sims.

Squad level Turn based Tactical combat games like JA2, Fallout Tactics and Silent Storm.

Tactical FPS games like Hidden & Dangerous, Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six.

And the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, whatever you class those as, certainly lumping them in the same category as Doom or Halo wouldn't be accurate.

Reconite said:
I am planning on getting Arcanum
You don't plan on getting Arcanum. You get Arcanum.

Reconite said:
RTS, the Command and Conquer series is only where I've been with this also, planning on trying some others.
Try the Age of Empires series and/or the Kohan series. They rock. There was also a Star Wars RTS on the AoE2 engine, I think it was called Galactic Battlegrounds, which was also pretty solid. I've never played an RTS game that was any better than those.

rcorporon said:
Considering I play EU3 nearly every day, I'm surprised I forgot TBS as well... same with fighters...
But EU3 is not really turn-based.
alec said:
You don't plan on getting Arcanum. You get Arcanum.
You don't get Arcanum. You already got Arcanum.

I don't really have a favorite genre.
I stick to games who are great at building a good atmosphere, that's it. That could be a cRPG, a FPS , or just a simulation.

alec said:
Try the Age of Empires series and/or the Kohan series. They rock. There was also a Star Wars RTS on the AoE2 engine
Oh man! You just jogged my memory, I used to play the AoE series a lot. I have the first + expansions and AoE2 + conquerors. I knew I was forgetting something when I was thinking of RTS. Loved playing AoE2, great game, haven't played it in a year or so.

And yeah, I'll get Arcanum when I get the money to buy it. I'm a total cheapskate at the moment. Might take my mind off the shitfest Fallout has been going through for the last 7 years.

Back