First XCOM screens

The graphics are bad?

Admittedly, not every game can have as fine facial details as Dragon Age, but . . . I thought it all looked quite decent, aside from being real shiny for some odd reason.

Just some of the facial expressions and animation was a bit off. (I'm completely ignoring the large balls of goo and electricity that look so like a flailing corpse glitch in Fallout 3.)

Dead Guy said:
So managing bases, soldiers, scientists, technology and manufacturing as well as handling combat situations tactically has been reduced to shooting black blobs in suburbia. Racist?

I'm pretty sure that there will be a strategy game also, read it somewhere, forget where.

I'm slightly intrigued, but also very much WTF'ed.

Why do they feel the need time & time again to use a franchise solely for naming & PR purposes and then just do "whatever" with it.

tbfh, I might have been interested in this game if it wasn't an X-COM game. It has some intriguing elements.

But as an X-COM game, I'm pretty much in "I'm not going to support that shit"-mode.

I'm glad that X-Com was really the first CD-Rom game I played a lot. I remember renaming my squad after the kids in my 5th grade class. And always sending in the guys I liked the least on the front line :].

I name my main squad after the space marines on the Sulaco in Aliens every. single. time.

And one guy I name Halo. eh doesnt afraid of anything.

Throwing my voice on the pile; what the hell does this have to do with X Com?

Give it its own name and universe, if its intriguing enough I will buy it, but by no means you can tell me this is a X Com game.

SuAside said:
But as an X-COM game, I'm pretty much in "I'm not going to support that shit"-mode.

Yeah.

The problem being is that even if this game somehow doesn't sell well (It'll sell well, I feel it in my gut), it's failure won't mean a return to form for the X-COM series.

The studio heads will just go "See, the kids today don't like this X-COM stuff, shelve it for another 12 years".

So, are there any, any at all future plans for a tactical turn based game ever again?

Or are... we all doomed?

I say we are pretty much doomed as it will probably end up like generalissimofurioso (respond to PMs now) predicted.

If the game sells bad they will just put the franchise on ice again.

I am not sure there is any sort of solution at all, other than finding a way of getting the majority of current day gamers to go away and find some other hobby, so that they are no longer the majority of gamers anymore.

Is it just me or is there entirely too much Bioshock in that trailer? Also, what connection does it have to X-Com? Any at all?

Ummm, not sure what to make of that. Are the black blob thingies the Aliens in this or what? It's a shame the X-COM has been turned into Bioshock but with black blob Aliens.

It's pretty much "Baby's First X-Com" by the looks of it. It just seems like a really stupid concept trying to make X-Com an FPS set in what, the 50's? And it doesn't look anything like X-Com at all. In all honesty, I see more X-Com in Enforcer than I do in this trailer.

The Dutch Ghost said:
If the game sells bad they will just put the franchise on ice again.

they've already killed the franchise by making this game. I mean, this IS NOT X-Com. in any way. it doesn't matter if this games succeeds or not, X-Com as we knew it is dead.

I'm considering starting a hate campaign towards these developers. it might include molotov cocktails and kidnappings. I haven't worked out the details yet. who's with me?

Reconite said:
It's pretty much "Baby's First X-Com" by the looks of it. It just seems like a really stupid concept trying to make X-Com an FPS set in what, the 50's? And it doesn't look anything like X-Com at all. In all honesty, I see more X-Com in Enforcer than I do in this trailer.

Yeah, this will probably be a much better game than Enforcer, but definitely much less of an X-COM game.

aenemic said:
I'm considering starting a hate campaign towards these developers. it might include molotov cocktails and kidnappings. I haven't worked out the details yet. who's with me?

Sing me up 8-)

Deus-Ex, X-com, fallout.... there will be a lot to do.

I say we start our own company and make our own games. The first virtual company. Then every other company will follow us, and go online. And before the great Internet Crash, we will create HQ a somewhere in the world and every other developer will be destroyed and gone forever. In the end, there will be only us.

Shooting blobs doesn't look like it will be interesting. At all. Unless they can do cool shit like joining together to make trebuchets and shit.

I think those bloobls are shapeshifters or have at least the ability like the black oil in the X-Files eventualy taking over and controling certain hosts.

We will see.

Back