Fallout 1 mod FO1 to FO2 conversion, for real

Discussion in 'Fallout General Modding' started by Dude101, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvBarracuda

mvBarracuda Vault Dweller

Apr 11, 2004
    Version control would have helped ;-)

2. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant

Apr 24, 2005
    Not if nobody is working on it.

3. TwistedSoul231

TwistedSoul231 First time out of the vault

Nov 4, 2008
    Its a shame really, this could have been quite interesting...

4. Master92

Master92 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 26, 2010
    Yes, but nobody will not give to warranties that system will work stable. And HDD too. So... :)

5. gvx

gvx First time out of the vault

Apr 4, 2008
    it not download??

6. gvx

gvx First time out of the vault

Apr 4, 2008
    Can Fallout FIXT doing it??

7. Jotisz

Jotisz Mildly Dipped

Aug 28, 2007
    Fixt is a different thing. Here the links seems to be dead sadly. I'm goint to look through my backups to see if I have them saved somewhere.

8. Drobovik

Drobovik Vault Archivarius Modder

Jun 20, 2011
    Links to mod

Hello,
    Here are the links for the mod.

First, wiki page for installation instructions.

Second, download link

9. Sduibek

Sduibek Creator of Fallout Fixt Moderator Modder

Oct 27, 2010
  10. Dude101

Dude101 Vault Fossil
    Modder

Aug 3, 2005
  11. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    No idea, I don't have time to mess around with it right now because of school (Summer quarter always sucks) but as soon as I have time I'm excited to see what if anything I can do with this :)

12. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Apologies for sounding like a newbie instead of a modder, but I assume everything I've done up til this point could be transferred yes? Pretty much everything I've changed in Fallout 1 is just scripts and text files, mostly.

And we now have a full function process (thanks to efforts of many) for doing the maps in Mapper so that shouldn't be an issue either.

If I'm confident I can fix the existing issues, my mod will continue only using Jordan's work. Because come on, everyone wants Fo1 in the superior engine. I don't know how big of an "if" that is, however.

Who on this site is active and has the skills and time to collaborate, should I need help? Such help would likely be things like ASM or C++, engine stuff.

13. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    If you can get F1 running with the F2 engine Sduibek, I'll marry you. :wink:

14. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Fixed that for you :wink:

15. voodzia

voodzia It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jun 27, 2005
    As speaking of "superior engine" for Fo1 - I'm not sure if Fo2 is really any better actually? I mean, I played both these games 10 years ago or so but can't recall seeing a big difference in them.

Anyway, Sduibek how about porting Fo1 to FoT using Open Fallout Mod? Here's a link:
    http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58227

I've never passed through 2nd mission in FoT but it has so much better graphics. What would you say?

16. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    While I imagine there's plenty of people that would enjoy it, no I won't be working on that engine. It looks and feels a lot different than Fallout.

Fallout 2's engine pretty much just added a bunch of great convenience features, both for players and developers, whereas Tactics feels like, looks like, (and is) a different game.

Differences in FO2 engine that are better:
    Applying to me me personally, as a modder Fallout 2 is MUCH easier to mod. I can do things in Fallout 2 engine from simple editing a text file, that in Fallout 1 would literally only be possible from editing the exe itself. Which I cannot do at this time because I'm not a good enough programmer.

For example I could add Perks like Dermal Plating or Wasteland Herpes in literally minutes. For Fallout 1, that would requiring editing the table in the exe that holds the entries, and potentially other crazy shit in the exe that I hope to never have to mess with.

17. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
  18. Dude101

Dude101 Vault Fossil
    Modder

Aug 3, 2005
    Are you going to release another fixed for FO1 then officially move over to this, or are you still playing with the idea?

19. Sduibek

Oct 27, 2010
    Not sure yet. What do you think? Most of the long-timers probably know better than I do what's a good plan of action or whatever.

I'll definitely be releasing Alpha 5 within a month as planned, without any of the Fallout 2 business. The good is news is that even if I switch over from then on, I'm pretty sure with a little footwork it won't be hard to "convert" my scripts, and since almost all of my changes have been scripting and dialog...

My real concern is the community. I personally think being in the FO2 engine is friggin awesome, and I know many that feel the same way, but I wonder if some people are going to say it doesn't feel the same or whatever. Obviously the painfully non-Fallout1 things like the visual interface need to be fixed, that's not arguable. But the Combat Settings option and all that. You never can know for sure how picky people are about their game not being touched. So I don't want to ruin it for people.

On the other hand, I really don't want to be doing a Fo1.exe and Fo2.exe version of the mod, that would be just a lot more work. If I switch, it's a total switch and a switch for good. It will either be Fallout 1 Classic or Fallout 1 Fallout 2 (heh), but not both. I am heavily leaning towards the latter of the two.

20. Dude101

Dude101 Vault Fossil
    Modder

Aug 3, 2005
    My opinion is kind of invalid. I always thought FO1 modding was impossible. You're the only game in town and if you are more comfortable modding FO1 I reckon you should stick with it.

Saying all that though... other modders could build on your work if you switched to FO2, whereas I can't see anyone adding to your FO1 work. I think it would be very popular (relative to the tiny community), and again referencing my biased opinion I think it would be better because of the ease of modding plus the latest SFall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.