***** FOT Modding FAQ - READ BEFORE POSTING! *****

Status
Not open for further replies.

requiem_for_a_starfury

So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
Tutorials can be found here. Read them before posting.

GENERAL TIPS

★ Use right click + drag to place a group of tiles while avoiding having a single tile added to the tiles you place.
★ Use Ctrl + arrows to move selected tiles horizontally.
★ Use Ctrl + Pg Up and Dwn to move up and down selected tiles.
★ Hold shift while selecting tiles or entities on the level to select more than one.
★ Hold Alt while selecting tiles to select them on ALL LEVELS.
★ Hold shift while choosing tiles on the left pane to select more than one. You will then be able to place them randomly to add variations.
★ Often use the top menu option "Update tiles used" to make ladders work, water use a splash sound and animated tiles animate, for example.
★ Often use the top menu option "New Occlusion Data" to make roofs dissapear while playing and things like that.
★ Use shift + click & drag the hight bar at the right to change the levels of the map shown to edit those if needed (ex: editing tiles under -18 level).

FAQ

Q Where is the FOT Editor
A It's installed with the 1.27 patch, available here. If you need to discuss installing the patch or alternate download sites you can do so in this thread Where is the Fallout Tactics Editor?.

Q When I open the editor I can't see anything.
A You'll need to unpack the minimum of the entities, tiles and sprites from the .bos files. With either winzip/winrar or the Booster, either way reapply the patch afterwards. If you are having trouble setting things up, this thread Getting Started. Extract the tiles, entites and sprites etc. is the one for you.

Q When I try to load tiles the editor looks for .tse files there aren't any.
A Tilesets are groups of your favourite tiles, you need to set these up before you can use them. This is pretty advanced, if you just starting out and just want to place tiles they should be in the window on the left side of the screen, if you've unpacked everything correctly a list of directories of different tile types will be available. If you have any queries about extracting the tiles or setting up tse files see this thread Getting Started. Extract the tiles, entites and sprites etc..

Q I want to replace Farsight & Stitch in the first mission.
A Press F4 to enter the entity edit mode in the level editor, click on Farsight and then 'ctrl X' or 'ctrl delete' to remove her, do the same for Stitch. Then Press F3 and in the top section on the left enter 1 in the player index field, then from the directories on the left choose your new team mates and place them on the map. See this thread Modding FOT characters/Recruits if you need any more help.

Q I want to add new recruits I've made to the recruit pool.
A Read this tutorial, if there's something you don't understand or have any further questions post them in this thread Modding FOT characters/Recruits.

Q How do I change the character's portraits/name/description.
A Read this tutorial, the filename of the portrait zar should match the display name of the character, it's case sensitive. If there's something you don't understand or have any further questions post them in this thread Modding FOT characters/Recruits.

Q How do I make new inventory graphics for the weapons/items.
A Read this tutorial, if there's something you don't understand or have any further questions post them in this thread [FOT] Weapon/Item Portrait (Sprite) Editing Help.

Q How do I make my own portrait for FOT.
A Read this tutorial, if there's something you don't understand or have any further questions post them in this thread How to make a portrait in FoT! (New Way!).

And, as an extra note:

All General Forum Rules apply to all forums, except hosted ones

Updated: 24/03/06

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back