[FOT] Weapon/Item Portrait (Sprite) Editing Help

Under core/tables (if you've unpacked the bos files) you should find a file called campaign.txt right at the bottom is the list of prefabs. Add your prefab to the list following the same format. Then load up the BOS.cam file (you'll need to unpack it) in the campaign section of FT Tools. At the top click on tools and then choose import prefabs this will open up a list of documents, choose the campaign.txt you've edited.

Save the cam file and now your prefab will have been added. You might want to back up the cam file first.

Whenever I try to boot up the editor I get:

Error!

C:\preuni\dev\bos\common\language.cpp(120)"**fatal error**:Failed to parse: game/characters.txt.

Then when I click okay I get:

Runtime Error!

Program: ...ogram Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\FT Tools.exe

abnormal program termination

Have you altered the characters.txt? Did you extract it to the right place core/locale/game/ ? It sounds like you're either missing it (put it in the wrong place) or it's been corrupted. Do you still have the bos file so you can re extract it?

Sprites

Can anybody tell me how u create a sprites. I used the search and came out nothing.

By the way, I saw most of the mod at the file trying to change FOT 7.62 mm to represent 7.62 * 39 mm. They changed it to fit the AK47. Why don't they just change the AK47 to AK101 and make the most common bullet to use is 5.56 * 45. Since Russian entered into NATO, they started to use AK101. AK101 is similar to AK47 look except that it is black in color. That why I need to know how to create Sprite. Trying to edit and make new sprites.

7.62 * 51 mm is now used commonly in single shot rifle for sniping and from FO1 to FOT, they still used hunting rifle. Maybe change it to Remington M40 or Remington M24.

Also, M82A1 (10 round capacity 29.48lb) entered into service in 1983, and M95(Bullpop) was in service in 1995 5 round capacity weighs lighter of only 22 lbs. I saw one of the mod (can't remember who) said that he research and said that M82A1 has only 5 round capacity. However the last version of known is M99(Bullpop) entered into service in 1999. It has a 10 round capacity and look like M95. It weighs 25 lb heavier than the M95 but its barrel was longer of 838 mm compare to the latter of only 737mm. As such it has better accuracy.

I think when we editing mod, most of the ppl look at the rate of fire and forgot that RPM is tested under ideal condition with the gun fixed and a bipod or fixed afixture and fired.

The practical condition of FN FAL, SAW and most of sub machine gun is around 200 rpm. M16.14, M4, Aug actually drops to around 150 rpm. Most SAW (Normally we used a 200 belt - have u seen "BalckHawk Down", we used the same ammon feedling - 200 rounds) and MG also fire at 200 unless it is fixed on a tripod which is around 300 rpm. Guns like AK47, AK74, 101, China Type 56 practical fire is around 400 rpm.

P90 is not practical to be rechambered to fire 9mm.. but it can be replaced with a similar double action trigger gun called the Sites spectre which also holds 50 rounds but the problem is still, can someone teach me how to create a sprite file :)

Guns like P90 & HK PDW (this is not HK MP5K PDW, it actually looks similar to Parker-Hale PDW of the UK) is one of those gun that do not fit into the catergory of any gun. They have a range of around 200m, fire auto with recoil of less than a rifle with 5.56 and thus more accurate. outrange a SMG. In fact they has less recoil than a 9mm SMG too. This gun is always catergory as PDW or Personal Defence Weapon.

M2 has a low rate of RPM but when in practical firing with Heavy barrel, it rate of fire is still 300 rpm since it is always fired on tripod, except by those Mutant....:P

To create sprites you're going to need a fan created tool called Spray (from the files section) and photoshop (5 or 6) or a graphics program that supports raw and act files.

As for a tutorial seems, JJ has removed the guide he posted at DaC so I'm not sure where you can find it now.

Wild_qwerty said:
Since I'm feeling in a noce mood, here's a link to the download

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php?action=file&file_id=480

I havent used it myself so I dont know how good it is, but I know its fairly slow on big sprites.

Thanks I had that, the instruction is kind of complicated. I have the additional tools as required by the program (Photoshop) but I still dun quite understand the meaning of how to create it.

Thanks anyway.

I was wondering why don't they releasing the sprite creator when they release fallout editor?

Hmmm...... :(

I did email them and ask them to, but I got told they (microforte) couldn't without Interplays permission

Wild_qwerty said:
I did email them and ask them to, but I got told they (microforte) couldn't without Interplays permission

Thanks guy, I used the spray. I kind of create afew gun.

I create a Colt Anacoda 8 in 0.45, a new G11E, new picture, I added a MGL 40 mm, a XM216 chain gun, A M40A1 sniper rifle, changed some of ammo, added a few rifles, like AK101, AK74, RPK, a dranguno, a beretta 93R, A Galil Rifle, A galil sniper rifle, a mac 10 to replace the scorpio, a remington M870, a SPAS 12 and 15 combat shotgun.

Thank for your help guy. I am correcting the whole data on that firearm.

I think Fallout 2 & 1 firearm is pretty much better and more research were done on that rather than on Fallout Tactics.

One thing for sure, burst and single has no different in range, it only more or less accurate.

I finally can make the G11E as an assualt rifle rather than a SMG, it was never a SMG.

Acutally P90N is a half bread between a rifle and a SMG. It is also not an SMG.

I am now testing using real photograph and see the effect, but I think 8 bit can't has good effect as my pictures ones.

Too bad this forum can't attached spr file else I can give u a sample to see.... :)

Thank you so much...

PS: The Anaconda really look cool, I always wonder why it is not in Fallout 2.... the long 8 inch barrel....

requiem_for_a_starfury said:
You could always upload them to the files section, then we could download them and us... I mean look at them. :)

I am creating, will download soon.

I know there is a constant complain on the handgun in Fallout tactics.

I am still altering the bullet section.

0.45 ACP will be removed and replaced with 0.5 AE, they are only a few pistol using this round, one of them is Desert Eagle XIX, the other I know of is AMT Automag V. Just for ur info, in sense of science or engineering... 9mmx18mm produced around 500-600 J of energy per bullet, 0.357 Mag is around 600-800, 0.44 Mag is about 1360, 0.5 AE is 1900. A 5.56x45 is about 1800.... 0.5 ...wow 13000-18000... Most increalible is 14.5x114.... 31700.....one shot can pierce our body armour and both ur friend behind u....

some of the pistol have been changed to real life shotgun pistol and the most interesting of all I have created a pistol called Maadi-Griffin Pistol, it is a single shot 0.5 pistol. Now we can used pistol longer in the game, something about the one hand trait is good now. Well if u dunno this pistol, it is a real banned hand gun.

Most headach of all is amending the critters equipment.

By the way, trying to create a crossbow to replace that needle gun and a night google.. :P

xbow over at DaC has some great crossbow sprites and there's a NVG sprite that came with the game.

Everyone has different ideas/complaints about the weapons, if you're just doing a mod to change the main campaign I'd release the sprites seperately so other modders can use them.

You could always copy the gui big/small image of each gun (before you save it as a raw file) and paste them together in a jpeg if you just want to show people what's going to be in the mod before it's finished.

Why don't you just add the .50AE as a new ammo type?

There are a few more handguns designed to fire this cartridge; the LAR Grizzly and the FA Casull revolver in addition to the Automag V which you have already mentioned.

Tromix has also been making upper receivers and barrels for AR-15 rifles designed to fire .50AE as well as .440 CorBon and .458 Socom.

Check the link below for more info.

http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_50AE.htm

Corpse said:
Why don't you just add the .50AE as a new ammo type?

There are a few more handguns designed to fire this cartridge; the LAR Grizzly and the FA Casull revolver in addition to the Automag V which you have already mentioned.

Tromix has also been making upper receivers and barrels for AR-15 rifles designed to fire .50AE as well as .440 CorBon and .458 Socom.

Check the link below for more info.

http://www.tromix.com/Tromix_50AE.htm

I can't add new ammo due to the Fallout Tactics engine and the editor given to us, it is limited by the weapon selection column, there are just given fixed to us.

Example I have created the 4.7x33 caseless but when I selected the gun, it was an option there.

So in the final decision, I removed the 0.303 & 0.308, replaced 0.303 with 4.7x33 and replaced the 0.308 with 5.7x30. Also the spearbolt ammo was replaced with 4.7x33 (the new ammo for HK new SMG and pistol - actually, it seem like HK has introduced this 2 against the FN for P90 & 57 pistol.)

I though of removing all the 9mm pistol AP, JHP & FMJ, if u notice, the energy level produce by JHP is only 598 j and FMJ is only 543. As for AP, look at it when it hit the Mutant, do they look painful???? I see no difference in AP round.

As for removing the 0.45 is for a reason. American don't replace 9 mm over 0.45 unless they have a good reason. The simple theory is Force is = MassxAcceration. 0.45 has mass but lack acceration, this isalso due to its mass too. However 9mm being weigh half as much with twice the acceration will produce the same sort of acceration. Impact can be simply pressure, the force of the bullet impact on the small dia. The actual formulae for all this is actually pretty complicated. They have program for all this calculation. In here I kept them simple.
Beretta 9mm able to have twice the ammo and less wieght produce the same impact force each time as a 0.45, then why the latter. As such Colt .45 or M1911 etc is slowly being replaced.

HK PDW & P90 ammo is something like 7.62x39, lower powerful than a acutal rifle bullet but more powerful than a pistol or SMG round. They have smaller diameter, longer than a pistol round as such, these guns are somwhere between a pistol or a SMG and a rfile. Their bullets are faster than a SMG slower than a rifle, weigh more than a pistol round but lighter than a rifle round.
With such bullet, the mass of the bullet is reduced but their acceration is much faster as such produced a force higher than a SMG round.

The problem of modern bullet still lie on the impact. Due to the smaller dia, the impact force may not be that great as a 9mm bullet. Advantage are they penetrate better and its range is boost much further. To have a bullet after impact on a body to fumble is still consider to be illegal so ..... P90 & PDW in conculsion is a bullet producing more force but less impact, but longer range. They are bullet that still lack the impact of a pistol round.

That is why in close combat, pistol and SMG are still favour over rifle, because 5.56 & 7.62 bullets when compare to 0.45, 9mm, 0.44 has less stopping power but more penetration.

requiem_for_a_starfury said:
Actually you can add new ammo types to FOT, but you'll need another fan made editor BoSEE to do so.

And there's a little guide to do it over at DaC.
Bro, how to upload a sample for u to comments.... :(

I need comments before continue further.... but how to upload to the file forum.... pls assist.

My mistake, I thought you were making a Fallout 2 mod, not Tactics.

BTW, The HK-PDW is now officially known as the MP-7, fires 4.6x30mm cartridge which offers better ballistics than the 5.7x28mm round used by the P-90. Try the links below for more info.
www.hkpro.com
http://www.hkpro.com/pdw.htm
http://www.hkpro.com/p46.htm
p46.jpg

New pistol by HK, the P46 semi-auto fires 4.6x30mm from a 20 round magazine.

So in the final decision, I removed the 0.303 & 0.308, replaced 0.303 with 4.7x33 and replaced the 0.308 with 5.7x30. Also the spearbolt ammo was replaced with 4.7x33 (the new ammo for HK new SMG and pistol - actually, it seem like HK has introduced this 2 against the FN for P90 & 57 pistol.)

Replacing the .303 (7.7x56R) is fine as its an old cartridge and it has never been used by the US army but I think the .308 (7.62x51mm) is far too common to be replaced.

Anyway, good luck with your mod.

Thanks, I have tons of books on small fires. got the calibre wrong sorry. My profession is also on firearm so we have factory reference too.

I actually have this fallout tactics for quite long, since it started but only started to play about 2 months ago. I sticked to FAllout2 toooooo way long.... Well my daughter remind me that she seen me playing that game wayyyy tooooo long.

I think she was right as such, open the box of fallout tactics from my storeroom and it is like new... :P

Well after playing for sometime, I think I still prefer the storyline of fallout 2...but for tactical I prefer how fallout tactics fight. I always wonder who the hell stand and fire at 10 people, I think FOT perfect what is missing in FO2 in tactical battle. But the storyline is soooooooo (there goes my 5 buck for the support)

Meh, Craptics is nothing special.

Especily with how they fucked up the storyline and the retro 50's feel of it all.

Back