Free copy of Metro 2033

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Brother None, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Like this page on Facebook and THQ will give you a free copy of the post-apocalyptic FPS Metro 2033 on Steam. So. Go get it! If for nothing else, its graphics and world design are pretty great.

Thanks Surf Solar.

2. PlanHex

PlanHex Legislative Senator oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    Alright, why the hell not.

This marks a terrible first for me though. First time I've actually said yes to one of those app things on facebook.

3. Surf Solar

Surf Solar So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Aug 20, 2009
    Same here, PlanHex. But I've already played through the game at my friends computer and it was nice. Stunning visuals and atmosphere, but it is railroaded and a bit missing on the storyside, if you know the book.

Still, very worth the download, IMO.

4. warsaw

warsaw Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 1, 2008
    Is it just me or have they been trying really hard to give this to everyone for practically free?

5. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    The game is already super cheap, and this way they're reaching for more people before the sequel is released. I don't have Facebook, otherwise I'd grab this.

EDIT: Actually, thanks to comscar the comrade I now have a key. So, thanks comscar!

6. AelpirT

AelpirT First time out of the vault

Feb 24, 2012
    Actually, it's still US$20 from Steam.

But it was included in the recent hugely-successful THQ Humble Bundle, where it could effectively have been acquired for as little as US$1, so I guess reality is not so far from what WorstUsernameEver suggests.

So, very low-cost publicity for THQ and any Metro sequels...

7. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010
    That's weird, it's only €10 on the European Steam Store. Either way, it's pretty much going on sale all the time, so I guess the base price isn't even all that meaningful anymore.

8. OakTable

OakTable Vault Senior Citizen

Nov 26, 2009
    Eh, my shitty laptop probably can't run this, but oh what the hell, why not?

9. warsaw

warsaw Still Mildly Glowing

Dec 1, 2008
    I figured the imminent release of the sequel was the reason, but I've seriously seen this game advertised everywhere. First the THQ bundle, then there was a half off deal on xbox live, this, and I think there was a deal on Amazon not too long ago. It's a brilliant strategy - give away a game so people almost feel obligated to play the sequel.

10. Atomkilla

Atomkilla Hazel Hegemon oTO Orderite

Dec 26, 2010
    Used my friend's profile, downloading now.

Thanks a lot for this, been planning to get this game ever since I read the book. This is perfect.

11. DemonNick

DemonNick It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 17, 2010
    They're also probably pretty desperate to get people to play the sequel because of their financial situation.

12. rehevkor

rehevkor It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 19, 2005
    I would if I hadn't already got it in the THQ Humble Bundle..

13. vaster

vaster First time out of the vault

Aug 13, 2010
    My first in history "like" on facebook for any site..
    Well.. It was worth the price ;)

14. sea

sea Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 5, 2009
    THQ are basically running on empty. After the massive failure of the UDraw tablet required them to do major layoffs and have their idiotic CEO replaced, and the subsequent failure at retail of games that needed to be successful for them (Darksiders 2 etc.), they have literally nothing left but to generate as many sales as possible, no matter how cheap. That's why their stuff is on sale almost 24/7 these days - without a buyer to back them, their only hope is to generate as much capital as possible until their next game can bring them back into the black.

Their last investors conference call was literally about 5 minutes long and all they said was "we have no financial plans for next year." Seriously, the situation is so bad that the "pay what you want" Humble Bundle sale caused their stock to go up 50%. Just think about that for a second.

Of course, that doesn't bode well for Company of Heroes 2, which seems to be that game, and looks like it might end up getting rushed out the door at this rate. To say nothing of how they got Volition to turn a planned DLC into Saints Row 4 in order to speed up production as much as possible...

15. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Level 27 Wizard Staff Member Moderator

Apr 1, 2005
    Got it. Beat it. Pretty good.