General Gaming Megathread: What are you playing?

The Commissar

Vault Senior Citizen
Orderite
We don't talk enough about gaming. Tell us what you are playing the most of right now, plus any thoughts you might have on the game.

This weekend I'm going to try and finish up the UFO: Afterlight Campaign for the second time. Its a really solid game, the most refined and polished of the series, but I still feel the combat would be much better turn based.

Avernum 4. At least, I just finished it. Too easy, especially at the end, as long as you use your brainz. Also, way too identical to the previous Avernums. Boy's getting predictable.

Lately i've been playing these games:

Supreme Commander: It's very meh in singleplayer, but a few mates recently bought it, and the online play is excellent. Nothing more satisfying then winning a three hour game. Last one i played, each of us had to rebuild our bases three times!

Stalker: Had a bit of a tough time getting into it, due to the severe lack of any accuracy in the starting weapons. I mean, i know it's supposed to be like that, but when i'm ironsighting, single shot, with an ak74 at about 25 metres, i don't expect my bullets to be going to the top right of the screen. Now i have some decent weapons and a good bit of cash, things are starting to get really good.

Vampire: I bought it again on steam, hoping for a more stable version, and it seems to have paid off. I some big problems with the retail version, but now i can actually play it through. The brujah are a lot more fun then i was expecting them to be, and i look forward to playing through as the toreador next.

Team Fortress Classic: Always loved this game, and started getting into it again yesterday. I also find a cool mod for it called neo-tfc, which gives all the classes a lot more abilities.

I've been replaying the Knights of the old Republic games. I enjoy these stories quite a bit, in fact, I find them to be really excellent. But the gameplay between the big 'story chunks' so to speak is soooo boring. The NPCs could use a good 'de-whining' as well.

I've got Command & Conquer 3 installed, and played 2 or 3 missions the other day. Was gonna play a bit just now, but for some reason I can't it to start now. I wonder if it had something to do with the fact that I installed the latest Catalyst drivers recently.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. I'm mostly farting around in the game, tinkering with things and reading forums. Still waiting for for certain gameplay that will make it feel even less Rambo-ish in certain places. Still, it's definetely the game I'm most excited about right now.

Shivering Isles. Yes NMA, I'm playing the expansion to Oblivion. I'm a bit ways into the main quest, and I am losing interest. You're basically an errand boy for the god of madness (Sheogorath), and run around doing his bidding in various dungeons.
It's an improvement over Oblivion (a more interesting setting) but it still ultrafails in other areas.
Good idea, but bad execution.

STALKER : nice but definitely not the game I've been waiting for...

SPLINTER CELL DOUBLE AGENT : cool but Chaos Theory is way better in my opinion.

CALL OF CTHULHU : DARK CORNERS OF THE EARTH : it is soooo good. Not the best gameplay ever but the atmosphere is just perfect.

King of Dragon Pass - A wonderful old game, a shame that it isn't very well known. The overview on the game's website gives a better description than I could provide on short notice. I heartily recommend it for anyone who is interested. Though it is out of print, you can contact David at A-Sharp, and he can will mail you a burned CD copy and show you where to download a PDF version of the manual. It costs twenty dollars, which may seem a bit steep compared to what you receive, but I believe it is worth it (besides, the money goes directly to the developers).

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Enjoying this immensely, besides the excellent atmosphere (for me, the best since the first two Gothics), I also like playing around with light modding of the game.

Dark Messiah - GoGamer had a special several weeks ago where this game was twenty dollars, I thought that was a reasonable price and I was wrong. This game is an uninteresting slog, time slows down to a crawl when I play it. I have just finished the neverending island portion of the game, I have to force myself to finish it. At least it is pretty.

One thing I have to compare between these two games is death animations. So far in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., enemies crumple when they die, while in Dark Messiah they ragdoll and ridiculously fly off. This is more egregious in Dark Messiah because there is a sense of weight when enemies are alive, when swords lock or when kicked. However, if they fall off a cliff or die, they suddenly lose that weight and flail around. The simple crumpling of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks much better, if less dramatic (I can only suppose that is what developers try for with ragdolls, instead of the unintentional comedic effects that are usually produced).

I also have UFO: Aflterlight on the backburner. I played enough of it to have a strong positive impression, but I'm not really in the mood for it right now. Perhaps in a month or so I will give it a solid playthrough.

only playing Stalker atm. on my second playthrough & now i'm taking my time to do everything i want. i still cant figure out the reputation thing though... goes from excellent to terrible to excellent to terrible... (without taking murdering missions ofc)

Josh said:
Stalker: Had a bit of a tough time getting into it, due to the severe lack of any accuracy in the starting weapons. I mean, i know it's supposed to be like that, but when i'm ironsighting, single shot, with an ak74 at about 25 metres, i don't expect my bullets to be going to the top right of the screen. Now i have some decent weapons and a good bit of cash, things are starting to get really good.
yeah, ironsights are worthless on the AK's. i shoot AKs with a scope or from the hip, but almost never from ironsights.

Josh said:
Vampire: I bought it again on steam, hoping for a more stable version, and it seems to have paid off. I some big problems with the retail version, but now i can actually play it through. The brujah are a lot more fun then i was expecting them to be, and i look forward to playing through as the toreador next.
did you try the player made patches? they fix a lot of issues tbh...
what is the difference between the steam thing & the original?

as for clans, i enjoyed the tremere chick and the malkavian dude most.

X-Com 3: Apocalypse - the last X-Com game before decline of the series. It has some interesting ideas, but is unfinished and lacks the tension of previous games.
I'm playing it with a mod that brings back weapon damages from previous games.

Close Combat IV with Wunderwaffe 2050 mod (in progress) - one of the best real time wargames with a Fallout-inspired retrofuturistic mod about a war between UN and Nazi aliens,

Laser Squad - The ancestor of X-Com series. I played it a lot on my C-64 when I was in primary school.

Soldat - My favourite action game.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Up to going to X16.

Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars: Up to about the 10th mission in the NOD series (after Brazil).

Supreme Commander: Up to about the 5th mission in the UEF series.

Gothic III: Level 10 or so, 50 ancient knowledge, light rebel armor - planning to be a mage :D

Deadly Rooms Of Death: Journey To Rooted Hold. Just finished the main hold, have been puttering around with some of the smaller fan-made holds until the sequel is released, which should be any day now.

The Seal Hunter. You, several hundred seals and an impressive arsenal of guns. A nice, bloody little coffee break game (and a "bite me"-message to the environmentalists).

DarkLegacy said:
Gothic III: Level 10 or so, 50 ancient knowledge, light rebel armor - planning to be a mage :D
I have Gothic III on my desk right now, as I've decided to wait for Piranha Bytes to patch the game a bit more before reinstalling it and finishing the game. It looks like the next patch will be the big one.

Tannhauser said:
DarkLegacy said:
I have Gothic III on my desk right now, as I've decided to wait for Piranha Bytes to patch the game a bit more before reinstalling it and finishing the game. It looks like the next patch will be the big one.

I managed to get it to run decently on my system (30-60 FPS average), so I'm not complaining.

I've not really run into any bugs yet either. :?

Sorrow said:
Laser Squad - The ancestor of X-Com series. I played it a lot on my C-64 when I was in primary school.

Thought I was the only one, Laser Squad was my all time best ever game on C64, once I played it for 6 months continuously, without loading any other game.

Currently playing:

F.E.A.R. single player, Call Of Duty: UO multiplayer and I just installed Battlefield 2 w/ Special Forces.

Good to see The Commissar post and she's totally right. For all the Fallout discussion you'd think the gaming forum would be more lively. I mean if we can still discuss a game almost ten years old why not new ones too?

I'm currently playing Arcanum with my third character. Once I'm done I will switch to another game and eventually come back to Arcanum to play two other characters I've thought of.

I'm not playing anything else at the moment. I've got a few games I still need to play/try mods for and a few games I can't play 'til I upgrade my PC. Not to mention the new games that have come out recent that I actually want to buy...

Sincerely,
The Vault Dweller

Most Everyone said:
STALKER Iron sights blah blah

Playing on Master with the crosshair disabled, iron sights are pretty much the only way to aim. I have not encountered "Poor" iron sight accuracy at all, although I only got to play about 3 hours last week. The best weapon I had managed to get was an AKS-74M (I'm pretty sure) from one of those army base patrols right at the beginning and it handled just fine. So many people have been complaining about it though, is my memory failing or does everyone else just suck at shooting?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the third time. Really pays to patch it. Almost a completely different (better) experience.

Civ IV: A game I can always get into again, so it's always on my disk. Fucking addictive.

Chaser: I was trying to get this game for years and now I finally did. Bit disappointed tho', it's too long and it started to get annoyingly difficult so I've stopped playing.

American McGee's Alice: Also been trying to get it for years and also have stopped playing it as new games came along.

Planning to play some more I have but never installed such as Freedom Fighters, Outcast, Close Combat: First to Fight and some legends I will be replaying for a millionth time such as Full Throttle and Alpha Centauri.

Josh said:
Team Fortress Classic: Always loved this game, and started getting into it again yesterday. I also find a cool mod for it called neo-tfc, which gives all the classes a lot more abilities.

Dude, high five, TFC kicks huge amounts of ass. If you ever see someone with the nick "Styrisvrlurin", that will be me. 8)

Aside from TFC, i'm playing Q3 (Excessiveplus and CPMA), Football Manager 2007, THE football manager of all times, and heavily modded Baldur's Gate 2.

Back