Ghoul Lorebreaking

Knight In Leather Armor

Badger Nutsack
image.jpeg
Anybody find it very frustrating that Bethesda just didn't give a shit about ghouls and gave (most) of them full heads of hair?
I mean yeah, there were Ghouls with hair like Desmond Lockhart, but he was a rare case just like several other ghouls, now in the Commonwealth (almost) every non-feral ghoul you find has complete and pretty hair. I mean yeah, it makes some of the ghouls attractive looking (that one Slog ghoul who asks if you see yourself ever with a ghoul) but come on.

Tl;dr-Bethesda didn't give a shit about ghouls either. Ghouls are meant to be balding or bald men and women but Bethesda doesn't care. Now go kill some raiders and help some settlements you worthless consumer.

I mean yeah, it makes some of the ghouls attractive looking (that one Slog ghoul who asks if you see yourself ever with a ghoul) but come on.
You can just refer to all non hostiles as 'settler' from this point going forward. You are spending too much effort in describing an individual. Settlers. Here is what you do. when describing a settler, just refer to them as settler, no need to confuse people with anything like a back story or to even imply that they are not randomly generated.

Tl;dr-Bethesda didn't give a shit about ghouls either. Ghouls are meant to be balding or bald men and women but Bethesda doesn't care. Now go kill some raiders and help some settlements you worthless consumer.
Honestly I don't think Bethesda hate their customers. I truly believe that they thought Fallout 4 would be the greatest game of all time.

Last edited:
You can just refer to all non hostiles as 'settler' from this point going forward. You are spending too much effort in describing an individual. Settlers. Here is what you do. when describing a settler, just refer to them as settler, no need to confuse people with anything like a back story or to even imply that they not randomly generated

Honestly I don't think Bethesda hate their customers. I truly believe that they though Fallout 4 would be the greatest game of all time.

Bethesda is probably a cult indoctrinated by Todd Howard to believe Fallout 4 deserved GOTY.

Well they just wanted some herp derp zombies in their game for extra cannon fodder. As for the settler ghouls, I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that they all look like shriveled up raisins. They don't hate their fans they just wanted to do their own thing and probably didn't put much thought or effort into adding balding ghoul models.

@DirtyOldShoe Well maybe we all don't think that but in the hardcore Bethesda fan boys' minds, Fallout 4 and Todd is #1 in their books.

Well they just wanted some herp derp zombies in their game for extra cannon fodder. As for the settler ghouls, I'm surprised you didn't mention the fact that they all look like shriveled up raisins. They don't hate their fans they just wanted to do their own thing and probably didn't put much thought or effort into adding balding ghoul models.

On the topic of Settlers, have you noticed most of them look fugly as old man balls while Gunner women all look really pretty or look like very strict soldiers with short hair? Gunner men just look like BoS soldiers, normal soldiers.

On the topic of Settlers, have you noticed most of them look fugly as old man balls while Gunner women all look really pretty or look like very strict soldiers with short hair? Gunner men just look like BoS soldiers, normal soldiers.
I think most of the NPCs are ugly, the settlers probably look ugly due to RNG farting out randomly created settlers. I can't believe how ugly they made Marcy Long though, to think someone spent time sculpting that face they must of had a really bad day.

I think most of the NPCs are ugly, the settlers probably look ugly due to RNG farting out randomly created settlers. I can't believe how ugly they made Marcy Long though, to think someone spent time sculpting that face they must of had a really bad day.

And the RNG is very limited. You constantly see the same guy with a white shirt, combat pants, green cap, and with white skin color. Or at least I have, I see him in most of my settlements whenever I try to build something cool.

You constantly see the same guy with a white shirt, combat pants, green cap, and with white skin color.
Procedural generation serves a purpose. It is to save time on a repetitive task. For example, if you have an area that has a forest, procedural placement of 1000 trees is a good idea, you can then tweak them a bit and not waste time on manually placing them, also, they are just trees and can get away with being generic. NPCs are supposed to have substance, they breath life into the game world and if they feel like they belong in that world, it is that much more immersive to the player. Procedural NPCs removes the possibility substance, eliminates immersion, breaks suspension of disbelief and adds repetition. Procedural NPCs can be used, but sparingly and best reserved for enemies. But this would only work in a game where you are not fighting the same enemies over and over. Procedural settlers, wanderers and non-hoslies was a very bad choice.

If the route to take is generated NPC and it has to be that way, the best solution for this problem would to add 5-10 times the available NPCs to generate so that repetition does not set it. The problem with Fallout 4, it was built entirely on a procedural formula and as many others have stated, the only way to fix this is to start over on developing a new game.

I'd love that. Tickling Shaun in the beginning, whilst the SS screams "SHAUUUUN"

Maybe even when talking to future old man Shaun the only thing the SS says, no matter the dialogue option, is them screaming "SHAUUUN"
Yes. Just yes. It was probably Bethesda's original plan, but they had to work due to copyright.

Back